Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Reading reports of the final it must have been a thriller.

Seanie did the business. Thank God he packed the hurling in.  ;)

rodney trotter

Cavan Gaels are away to the Derry champions now, tough task.

mrdeeds

Massive achievement  for Joe McQuillan. A senior championship title with Gaels to add to his All Ireland for Dublin.

mylestheslasher

Best of luck to McHale, Downes, Maguire. I hope it works out well. As for the county final, bit of a sickener for Kingscourt. Hopefully we can get Barry Reilly back into the county set up, great talent.

mrdeeds

He is a great talent Myles but lacks pace maybe? Maybe he has pace put plays casually.

tommysmith

Quote from: mrdeeds on October 13, 2014, 04:28:15 PM
He is a great talent Myles but lacks pace maybe? Maybe he has pace put plays casually.

He can kick frees which is something that nobody else on this years  panel can do.

Worth a spot for that alone.

rodney trotter

Report from the MacRory game last week

October 9, 2014

St Patrick's Cavan 1-12 St Eunan's Letterkenny 1-9

A GOAL in the 40th minute sorted out the first points of the Danske Bank MacRory Cup league in Drumragh yesterday.

It came from a good move from Cavan with substitute Shane Fortune playing a super ball in for Brian Sheanon to shoot to the net from close range.

After it however, Cavan seemed to lose their way a little and St Eunan's came back to within a point with two minutes remaining.

Letterkenny then had an opportunity to score an equaliser from a free but took too long over it and from the resultant throw-in, Cavan broke and Paul Leddy found the range. With Pearse Smyth adding another point in injury time, the Donegal boys were left disappointed.

The star of the show from a Cavan point of view was Thomas Edward Donohue with three excellent first half points and another after the break.

Those first half efforts came in response to a goal from Caolan McDaid in the 14th minute and helped Cavan edge ahead 0-6 to 1-2 at the break.

David Tyrell tied the scores with a free on the resumption, only for Sheanon's goal to split them again. Despite Tyrell's accuracy from frees – he bagged six over the hour – it was to be a turnover from one not taken quickly enough that ultimately denied his team a share of the spoils.

St Patrick's Cavan : Brian Sheanon 1-1, Thomas Edward Donohue 0-4, Ben Conaty 0-2, Thomas Galligan 0-1, Barry McKernan 0-1 free,  Dara Kennedy 0-1, Paul Leddy 0-1, Pearse Smyth 0-1.

St Eunan's : Caolan McDaid 1-1, David Tyrell 0-6 frees, Michael Millan 0-1, Rory Carr 0-1.

Westside

Quote from: tommysmith on October 13, 2014, 08:56:41 PM

He can kick frees which is something that nobody else on this years  panel can do.

McDermott isn't a bad free taker from the right?

Was the Gaels Kingscourt game shown on TG4?

tommysmith

Quote from: Westside on October 13, 2014, 10:47:14 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on October 13, 2014, 08:56:41 PM

McDermott isn't a bad free taker from the right?

Was the Gaels Kingscourt game shown on TG4?

True but from distance, 45,+metres I would have my money on BR.

Westside

I haven't seen much of Reilly at Club level but at U21 he was top notch. Nailed one from the sideline 45 metres out in the first few minutes of the 2011 Ulster Final as I recall.

Good to see Hyland come out and explain the addition of McHale, he's publicly acknowledged that our style needs to progress and that he's trying to freshen things up in the management team. Good self awareness. Would a stay in Division 2 and an Ulster Final appearance give Terry another year?

rodney trotter

He has a deal until 2016, so I would say so yeah.

Barry Reilly had some falling out with the management hence why he wasn't on the panel this year. He needs to get stronger aswell for Senior County football, enough light players on the panel.

five points

Quote from: Westside on October 14, 2014, 11:17:43 PM
Would a stay in Division 2 and an Ulster Final appearance give Terry another year?

Staying in Division 2 is hardly the be-all and end-all. Armagh didnt manage it this year but they had a great year all round.

This year we concentrated too much on the league and maybe lost sight of the bigger picture of the championship.

rodney trotter

It was important for the Development of the team to get promoted from Divison 3 this year. Cavan had been in Div 3 since 08 I think?

The Championship preperations were disrupted with numerous injury doubts before the Armagh game, aswell as Killian Clarke gone to the US and Ronan Flanagan gone travelling.

Mchale should have a good input into a more attacking game plan next year.

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 14, 2014, 11:24:37 PM

Barry Reilly had some falling out with the management hence why he wasn't on the panel this year. He needs to get stronger aswell for Senior County football, enough light players on the panel.

That's not true. Barry Reilly couldn't commit due to work.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Itchy on October 15, 2014, 04:33:05 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 14, 2014, 11:24:37 PM

That's not true. Barry Reilly couldn't commit due to work.

Thats what I thought myself, heard different but who knows.