Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Thanks for that Billy. You seem to be on a whirlwind tour of all the County threads today, don't let us hold you back  ;)

BallyhaiseMan

The Step of bringing our Under 16's into the Buncrana Cup playing other Ulster teams is the key one,
if we can get our young players beating the Tyrones,Derry's at that age,
the culture of losing which ive said is evident in Minor and Under 21 will mean little to them as they know they have what it takes to beat such teams.

i see they havent appointed a minor manager yet,when now would be the perfect time as the Minor championships will be starting shortly.

If its not either Niall Lynch or Mickey Graham i for one wont be happy.

cavanmaniac

Maxemathics for Idiots:

No recent minor pedigree (title wins the only factor considered) + No recent U21 pedigree (title wins the only factor considered) and No recent senior pedigree (title wins the only factor considered) = A county full of useless players.

For God's sake lads it's that simple, really, I can't think why we didn't realise it before and give up on the whole thing long ago. ::)

Max you're a tourist in this thread - Lord knows why but all are welcome - and any eejt can look at provincial minor, U21 results etc. and make a sweeping generalisation. But we just might know slightly better than you what's going on in our own county. Just maybe, ever think of that?

It's hardly a roll of honour to shout about or anything but in last few years, and these are the things people inside the county know and remember before taking a glance at the underage trophy lists:

- we held our own in Division 1 up until quite recently and reached a final
- gave Tyrone one of their toughest games en route to Sam and weren't as far away in the replay as the score suggests, gave them something to think about in an Ulster final a few years previously as well
- lost a 50/50 battle to the eventual All-Ireland minor champs two years ago after a replay and extra time, just the latest episode in a tale of underage woe of which there's too many chapters to bother listing
- have had numerous standout players on the international rules underage sides
- pushed Armagh all the way in an Ulster semi-final, when they were in their pomp and one of the best teams around by some distance
- won 2 All-Ireland vocational schools titles in a row

It's easy to look in and in your boundless wisdom pronounce us as a county with no decent players. In fact we have lots of players - as a county that more or less plays no other sports it'd be hard not to, thought you'd know that - but their attitude is lousy and some of them won't even bother coming on to the panel.

You're just a WUM anyway and I normally wouldn't bother but guys like you sneering at us just piss me off.

anglocelt39

Well fair play Maximus you seem to have got a bit of a response anyway, Just a thought, there I was thinking that it was your political representatives up there who craved attention (Adams, McGuinness, Paisley, Donaldson etc. etc. etc. yawn yawn) and were willing to do anything to gain it. Your performances would suggest that this malaise may affect the broader population of the six county statlet. Why is this so? Discuss.

agree we're shite and it's depressing. Will agree that Under 17 Aussie Rules representation has not been worth Jack Shit to Cavan over the past 10 years in terms of development at senior level. Also agree that our representation is skewed by the fact that many counties keep their lads well clear of it-how many Armagh/Tyrone players in the last few panels. Mickey Harte's publc attitude to this project says a lot.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Maximus Marillius

You know, I will agree that underage success at county level is not completely necessary for senior success, but make no mistake about it, having good club structure, with competent coaching and then after that successful club sides winning Ulster titles is certainly a major factor in a successful winning county side....especially for some reason in Ulster.

Hollow Man

Quotehow many Armagh/Tyrone players in the last few panels

Don't know about Tyrone but there have been a few from Armagh - I think Charlie Vernon captained the team recently...

cavan4ever

Anyone know if its true about gaynor not getting suspension because his name wasn't on the team sheet??  Seen it on hoganstand

Homer

Haven't been home in the last couple of weeks.. but from what I hear.

Gaynor's name was indeed missing from the team sheet due to some administration error which instead included Declan Beards name. This does seem to be the reason he got off. I'm sure there has to be a little more to it then this but thats alls I knows.

cavan4ever

Strange that there is no action been taken against the club then, i remember an u-21 club being kicked out of championship a few years back for having team sheet wrong.  Balliangh are very lucky.

Homer

The incident you're referring to involved Castlerahen and Gowna in the 2004 u21 championship. Castlerahen had already disposed of the the Gaels before going through Gowna in the quarter-final.

Gowna lodged a complaint that one of the Castlerahen players had played illegally after playing football in London that summer. Castlerahen  responded by putting in their own complaint against Gowna; that the chairman of the club failed to sign their team-sheet as gaeilge.

The result of the calamity was both clubs were thrown out of the competition, and so with the Gaels, Castlerahen and Gowna now eliminated, Lacken were ultimately gifted their first Division 1 title.

Like I said I'm sure there is more to this than meets the eye. I know Gaynor was planning on appealing the suspension and I believe he was doing so with the backing of incident-witness Paul Grimley.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Homer on August 14, 2007, 11:15:23 AM

Like I said I'm sure there is more to this than meets the eye. I know Gaynor was planning on appealing the suspension and I believe he was doing so with the backing of incident-witness Paul Grimley.

Thats interesting and sets a precident if it happens again.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Homer on August 14, 2007, 11:15:23 AM
The incident you're referring to involved Castlerahen and Gowna in the 2004 u21 championship. Castlerahen had already disposed of the the Gaels before going through Gowna in the quarter-final.

Gowna lodged a complaint that one of the Castlerahen players had played illegally after playing football in London that summer. Castlerahen  responded by putting in their own complaint against Gowna; that the chairman of the club failed to sign their team-sheet as gaeilge.

The result of the calamity was both clubs were thrown out of the competition, and so with the Gaels, Castlerahen and Gowna now eliminated, Lacken were ultimately gifted their first Division 1 title.

So let me get this right. Gaynor is/was going to appeal his suspension using a selector of the county team as a witness, the same selector who refused to allow him to play for the county all year cos he took a holiday! The mind boggles. Hopefully that means he will get a chance on the panel next year so.

On another note, this is Div 2 for next years league.....

Dublin (AI semi finalists, Favorites to win)
Cork (AI semi finalists)
Westmeath
Armagh
Monaghan (AI quarter finalists)
Roscommon
Cavan
Meath (AI semi Finalists)

We are going to have serious problems making any head way in this group, it looks stronger than Div 1.

cavan4ever

Staying in that division would be a bonus.

cavanmaniac

2 from 3 to go down out of Cavan, Westmeath and Roscommon, it's simple as that looking on at this juncture. Lose or draw either of our games against those two and we're out the trap door, unless we catch one of the big boys cold in the first game or something, the league can throw up some odd results...

anglocelt39

Quote from: cavanmaniac on August 14, 2007, 02:48:53 PM
2 from 3 to go down out of Cavan, Westmeath and Roscommon, it's simple as that looking on at this juncture. Lose or draw either of our games against those two and we're out the trap door, unless we catch one of the big boys cold in the first game or something, the league can throw up some odd results...

Armagh are in rebuild mode and we will see how good Cork in fact are in a few weeks. What's not beyond dispute is that we are facing a serious step up on last year and I'm sure Paddy Power will have us raging hot favourites to go down. Monaghan have showed what is possible with a bit of application, aided and abetted by Marty in his proper job, Paul O Dowd and, it would seem, feck all prima donnas from numbers 1 to 30.

Myles, the impression I got from our Ballinagh source on this thread was that it is Keoghan has it in for Gaynor, so it might be significant that Grimley is going the extra few yards for him. Mind you reports of Anthony's performances at club level this year have not been encouraging.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds