Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue in hope

Joe Mc Carthy going as well. gives terry a chance to bring in new faces

Westside

Let's hope the right appointments are made to replace Peter and Joe. Two big losses. I can understand why Donnelly would be keen to return to Tyrone but is there any non-personal reasons for Joe leaving?

comeysfield

Joe is staying on at U21 level not sure if the Donnelly thing is confirmed but looks like he will be going to tyrone

mylestheslasher

This Donnelly thing is dodgy. On one hand it gives an opportunity to freshen things up. On the other side he is very very well thought of by the players. They bought into his regime big time. When a man like that goes it can often mean the players will question the new man, is he as good as Donnelly, is he talking crap etc etc. When Martin McHugh left in 97 thats happened with Kerrigan. It probably happened in Man Utd when Ferguson left and was replaced by Moyes. It is a risk and it means that Cavan must be very careful and make sure they get the right man in for this job, someone that will demand respect.

Havent been home to see any championship matches but have been following on twitter etc. Seems the standard might be finally improving, there were some good close games. Any comments on the overall standard from people who attended?

tommysmith

I seen 4 games last weekend and would not say standard has improved. Intermediate is very weak and senior poor. Quarter finals now so may improve

comeysfield

Been to lots of games and have not seen any thing positive from the point of view of scoring/ forward power. Where I think we all agree is our weakness. The exception to that is Enda H at Cootehill and in the Gaels Vs Cuchulainns match where it looks to me like the Gaels may be a long way towards being back to having a formidable running game. That game was without Johnston and Dunne so I wish us all luck if even they get one of them back

Dirtyball

It really is time for major changes at the top table within the Co Board. We now have a situation where 2 teams have qualified for the Senior Semis and they don't know who they playing. How can they plan ahead? Castlerahan have lost 3 times and can still be in the hunt. Our county team are out of the All ireland series since the middle of July yet we haven't even completed our quarters yet. We have a full time paid County Secetary who seems a usefull as an ashtray on a motorbike ! Club football is been pushed further and further into the background year after year. Hopefully we will get a Chairman next year who will make club football attractive and a priority otherwise we won't have a Cointy team in the future.

comeysfield

As killinkere are now in a Semi vs Cootehill, Enda H is no longer a good footballer he is a target and that paid County Secretary is doing a great Job. Parochial is the way to keep it !!!!

Blue in hope

The biggest change needed is in the CCC. How they make the appointment off ref's is a complete joke.The majority of the refs appointed come from East Cavan the same area as the secretary of the CCC.
A player gets sent of for a headbutt back out playing the following Saturday night.
  Was in Breffni for two quarter final matches this weekend  and we had two ref's that were totally hopeless. The Ref for the Ramor v Kingscourt game was not able for it and he let the sidelines dictate what he did the whole match.
On Friday night game the ref was very poor to the extent at the end of the game Johnston was fouled  25m out in front of the posts  and he gave  a free out. The stand broke out laughing at  the decision. The Ref in question has not done his fitness test and refresher course in Cavan this year. HE should NOT be refereeing match as this is a requirement to ref in the championship.
Why are referees been accessed at each match if the CCC are ignoring them. Surely the referee accessors panel should be appointing the refs for games and not a few clubs representatives on the CCC  looking after certain teams. CCC don't do it  in Croke Park for county matches so why do we allow it to happen in Cavan.

tommysmith

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 10, 2014, 11:00:31 PM
This Donnelly thing is dodgy. On one hand it gives an opportunity to freshen things up. On the other side he is very very well thought of by the players. They bought into his regime big time. When a man like that goes it can often mean the players will question the new man, is he as good as Donnelly, is he talking crap etc etc. When Martin McHugh left in 97 thats happened with Kerrigan. It probably happened in Man Utd when Ferguson left and was replaced by Moyes. It is a risk and it means that Cavan must be very careful and make sure they get the right man in for this job, someone that will demand respect.

There are at least 4 positions to be filled now

Development Coach - Is he leaving this role?

Strength and Conditioning Coach
County Team Trainer
Blanket Defense coach

I wouldn't hold my breath Myles he only started training the team as he was involved with the team with the S&C and the man who was supposed to train them wasn't up to it so he stepped in.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Dirtyball on September 15, 2014, 11:17:16 AM
It really is time for major changes at the top table within the Co Board. We now have a situation where 2 teams have qualified for the Senior Semis and they don't know who they playing. How can they plan ahead? Castlerahan have lost 3 times and can still be in the hunt. Our county team are out of the All ireland series since the middle of July yet we haven't even completed our quarters yet. We have a full time paid County Secetary who seems a usefull as an ashtray on a motorbike ! Club football is been pushed further and further into the background year after year. Hopefully we will get a Chairman next year who will make club football attractive and a priority otherwise we won't have a Cointy team in the future.

How is it the county boards fault that Castlerahan are appealing? Maybe they should just take their beating. In fact maybe some clubs should have a look at themselves if they don't like the championship format.

Who are the front runners for the chairman job? Keoghan I hear is one God help us.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tommysmith on September 15, 2014, 08:03:00 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 10, 2014, 11:00:31 PM

There are at least 4 positions to be filled now

Development Coach - Is he leaving this role?

Strength and Conditioning Coach
County Team Trainer
Blanket Defense coach

I wouldn't hold my breath Myles he only started training the team as he was involved with the team with the S&C and the man who was supposed to train them wasn't up to it so he stepped in.

Its a key appointment (or four appointments), Is there anyone in the county properly qualified to do the role. I presume Nicholas  Walsh is still in Australia, he'd hardly be tempted to come back?

tommysmith

There are S&C coaches trained in the county as I believe 4 or 5 did the course at the same time as Peter but they may not be suitable for the Development coach role.  I wouldn't trust the county board to pick the right person as the last appointment in there was probably decided before the interviews.

I think someone is going to have to be brought in to do the team training but this will be separate from the two mentioned above.

Dirtyball

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 15, 2014, 08:54:56 PM
Quote from: Dirtyball on September 15, 2014, 11:17:16 AM

How is it the county boards fault that Castlerahan are appealing? Maybe they should just take their beating. In fact maybe some clubs should have a look at themselves if they don't like the championship format.

Who are the front runners for the chairman job? Keoghan I hear is one God help us.
I never said it was the CB fault that Castlerahen were appealing but it is their fault that there is a system where a team can lose 3 games and still be in the Championship. An open draw was made with 4 back door teams and 4 who qualified legit thus leaving the opportunity for back door teams to meet. That's the height of madness . There must be some donkey responsible .seems there was no advantage for winning games. Now we have a suites toon where 2 teams have qualified for the semi finals but don't know who they are playing. So how can these teams work on tactics if they don't know who they playing? That semi final draw should have taken place last Sunday. Incompetent donkys running club football in Cavan.

Blue in hope

I never said it was the CB fault that Castlerahen were appealing but it is their fault that there is a system where a team can lose 3 games and still be in the Championship. An open draw was made with 4 back door teams and 4 who qualified legit thus leaving the opportunity for back door teams to meet. That's the height of madness . There must be some donkey responsible .seems there was no advantage for winning games. Now we have a suites toon where 2 teams have qualified for the semi finals but don't know who they are playing. So how can these teams work on tactics if they don't know who they playing? That semi final draw should have taken place last Sunday. Incompetent donkys running club football in Cavan.

You dont make sense Even if the draw was done last Sunday teams still mightn't know who they are playing. You could have Kingscourt V Lacken/Gaels  or V Mullahoran/Ballinagh/Castlerahen. 

Interesting to see the CCC are backing their man in appointing Tony Gregory to Ref the Gaels V Lacken Match. That is them giving  the two fingers to Castlerahen