Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on August 09, 2007, 01:24:04 PM
FFs Haise, would you listen to yourself, ye have more from Kerry, Armagh, Galwat etc, if these lads are so good why haven't you won a minor Ulster championship....don't you get most counties dont let there best go

QuoteThis suggests that we are producing 16/17 year olds as talented as anywhere else
...that is some laugh...with all those minor titles

Its alot easier to win Leinster,Munster and Connacht Minor titles Max.
Our lack of minor titles is a combination of
bad coaching/management,bad preparation,over confidence and yes you are correct in a fair few cases lack of talent.
However we have had a few talented teams over the last 10 years that have matched eventual all ireland and Ulster champions all the way in games,yet have contrived to lose them all.

Derry in 2001
Tyrone in 2003 etc

we simply have a losing culture at County level down here im afraid Max.

cavan4ever

Max piss of we know we are crap and haven't won anything in a long time. 

Maximus Marillius

How does a county that has 5 all irelands...admittedly all won before our club bellaghy won its first of 21 county titles in 58 develop a losing culture, what went wrong.....i'm asking this so we done fall into the same trap in Bellaghy ;)

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on August 09, 2007, 01:35:39 PM
How does a county that has 5 all irelands...admittedly all won before our club bellaghy won its first of 21 county titles in 58 develop a losing culture, what went wrong.....i'm asking this so we done fall into the same trap in Bellaghy ;)

You develop a losing culture by first of all not winning Ulster and All Ireland titles,
we however have gone further.
in losing close games which were there for the taking.ive lost count of how many times we have done that since ive first went to Cavan games.
You have no idea what that does to the psyche of a county.

Hollow Man

Jesus, Ballyhaise, don't do it to us...

2004 Ulster Under 21 final, one point after extra time...

2005 Ulster minor semi final, one point after extras time in a replay to the team who went on to win the All Ireland...

QuoteDerry and Tyrone do not let their kids go to that shit

They're dead right Max. One thing though - was Tony Scullion not the Under 17 manager the first year of the series (Cavan captain that year by the way)?

Wouldn't be like a Derry legend and full time coach to initiate "that shit", would it?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 09, 2007, 01:41:40 PM

You develop a losing culture by first of all not winning Ulster and All Ireland titles,
in losing close games which were there for the taking.ive lost count of how many times we have done that since ive first went to Cavan games.

That certainly is a large factor in Cavans case. Every year we seem to have this problem. We can't hold onto a narrow lead, somewhere deep in the back of the mind we expect to be caught. Somewhere in the back of the minds we are happy with the moral victory I suppose. It is probably the most difficult of all our problems to fix and it will probably require a minor team to win ulster and come up through the rankings expecting to win. Max, you could help us out here. When Cavan were winning there 39 Ulster titles and 5 All irelands teams like Derry, tyrone and Armagh were all loosing. How did Derry break the cycle of losing to win the All Ireland? ;D

Maximus Marillius

QuoteThey're dead right Max. One thing though - was Tony Scullion not the Under 17 manager the first year of the series (Cavan captain that year by the way)?

Wouldn't be like a Derry legend and full time coach to initiate "that shit", would it?

Hollow man....name a derry player who played please

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 09, 2007, 01:50:07 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 09, 2007, 01:41:40 PM

Myles, I only tell you what i think happened in derry we started to takje it reakky seriously, but the other very important thing happened , the troubles, our identity was threatened to be take away from us so we doubled our efforts....probably that than any other thing

That certainly is a large factor in Cavans case. Every year we seem to have this problem. We can't hold onto a narrow lead, somewhere deep in the back of the mind we expect to be caught. Somewhere in the back of the minds we are happy with the moral victory I suppose. It is probably the most difficult of all our problems to fix and it will probably require a minor team to win ulster and come up through the rankings expecting to win. Max, you could help us out here. When Cavan were winning there 39 Ulster titles and 5 All irelands teams like Derry, tyrone and Armagh were all loosing. How did Derry break the cycle of losing to win the All Ireland? ;D

Homer

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on August 09, 2007, 01:55:52 PM
QuoteThey're dead right Max. One thing though - was Tony Scullion not the Under 17 manager the first year of the series (Cavan captain that year by the way)?

Hollow man....name a derry player who played please

Mark Lynch captained the team only a few of years ago Max.

Maximus Marillius

Well done Homer, he did, he was the first and last. 10 out of 10 Homer, your the winner. but he was the first and last, it was stopped. I mean that...it was stooped

Hollow Man

Quotebut he was the first and last, it was stopped. I mean that...it was stooped

As bearla le do thoil.

(Quick Max, get on Dictionary.com!!)

Seriously, you're looking down on the U17 Rules as "shit" but the first ever manager and a recent captain were Derry men?

Anyway, I agree, it is a load of shit. I'd like to see it stopped, but my point was that it is a decent indicator of the talent of your players at U16/U17 level.

By the way, after years of hammering teams in the Manning Cup, Cavan Under 16's entered the Buncrana Cup this year and beat all around them. They are in the final this weekend I think, they gave Tyrone a nice trimming in the semi.

So the players are being produced, up to that level at least. It's the attitudes of player and various managements that are shite - you see county minors strutting around like they're Maurice Fitzgerald, that's the problem...

billy the kid

its some strech to compare a group of cavan u16s who have got to the final of a tin cup to the great fitzgerald!!! I totally agree wid max on this one if cavan football is so great in the last 20 years wheres all the Rannafast cups youve won, mccrory cups, ulster and all ireland minors, U21 ulster and all irelands and senior ulster and all irelands????  Fair enough you won an ulster in 1997 with by a point that was actually a wide but honestly what else??? 

the fact you are citing getting players on the u17 international rules side as some sort of achievement to beat the rest of us with just demonstrates how far you have fallen from the days of 5 all irelands.  Derry dont send the stars of the future to these u17 talent shows cause this is where the australian teams go for their bargain hunting.  ie Martin Clarke. 

the u17 shit means nothing its not that long ago that cavans nicolas walsh was "the next big thing" because he was starring for the u17 team at the time.  now look at him he is a decent enough squad player on a poor county team he doesnt dominate games and is usually detailed to play a very negative marking and fouling game on the star mid fielder on the other team. 

U17 INTERNATIONAL SHIT
your right max!!!
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Hollow Man

From this...

QuoteIt's the attitudes of player and various managements that are shite - you see county minors strutting around like they're Maurice Fitzgerald, that's the problem...

You came up with this...

Quoteits some strech to compare a group of cavan u16s who have got to the final of a tin cup to the great fitzgerald!!!

I give up!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: billy the kid on August 09, 2007, 02:57:20 PM
its some strech to compare a group of cavan u16s who have got to the final of a tin cup to the great fitzgerald!!! I totally agree wid max on this one if cavan football is so great in the last 20 years wheres all the Rannafast cups youve won, mccrory cups, ulster and all ireland minors, U21 ulster and all irelands and senior ulster and all irelands????  Fair enough you won an ulster in 1997 with by a point that was actually a wide but honestly what else??? 

the fact you are citing getting players on the u17 international rules side as some sort of achievement to beat the rest of us with just demonstrates how far you have fallen from the days of 5 all irelands.  Derry dont send the stars of the future to these u17 talent shows cause this is where the australian teams go for their bargain hunting.  ie Martin Clarke. 

the u17 shit means nothing its not that long ago that cavans nicolas walsh was "the next big thing" because he was starring for the u17 team at the time.  now look at him he is a decent enough squad player on a poor county team he doesnt dominate games and is usually detailed to play a very negative marking and fouling game on the star mid fielder on the other team. 

U17 INTERNATIONAL SHIT
your right max!!!

we arent comparing under 16's to Fitzgerald,
We are saying our under 16's think they are Maurice Mitzgerald because they are on a county team.

St Pats have won 1 Rannafast in recent memory,
we arent in a position to compete in the McRory competition as we give away one year to all the rest of the schools.The last time St Pats even qualified for the quarter finals of the competition!!!!!! was about 8/9 years ago they had about 4 or 5 repeats as key members,repeats who would have been the same age as the vast majority of the opposition team.
Daryl McConnell,Enda King etc.And thats only 4 or 5!!!
Virginia Vocational schools have however won the last two All Ireland Vocational schools titles.
we have been debating as to why we havent won any Minors and Under 21's.

Nicholas Walsh was in Austrailia for two years.
Hes now more interested in the more physical aspects of the game than actually playing football,usually doesnt even bother trying to catch the ball and when he gets it in open play just hand passes it.

billy the kid

Nicholas Walsh was in Austrailia for two years.
Hes now more interested in the more physical aspects of the game than actually playing football,usually doesnt even bother trying to catch the ball and when he gets it in open play just hand passes it.

[/quote]

this is another reason that counties with a bit of foresight keep their stars of the future away from such squads.  theres no doubt that theres talent in cavan but attitudes, coaching, preparation or something is badly wrong because at present only antrim rank lower thaqn you in ulster and this shouldnt be the case.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!