Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

Myles i read most of the county pages from time to time, but this one, to me is something else. I read the same tripe, player attitude, committment atc etc, the point is your not good enough and all the aformentioned teams ie college, club, minor and u21 continue to provide you with nothing of any quality. Stop knocking the players...accept they are not good enough. The clubs are your real problem, they are the ones not producing the talent, or devloping the talent....that is your real problem

shotstopper1

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 08, 2007, 01:12:13 PM
Heavy fines and suspensions
08 August 2007

The after-match brawl which followed the Cavan SFC first round replay between Cavan Gaels and Gowna on Sunday 5th August in Kingspan/Breffni Park, Cavan which resulted in three Cavan Gaels players being sent off and a sideline brawl at the conclusion of the game was dealt swiftly and efficiently by the Competitions Control Committee of Cavan Co. Board who met on Monday night last, 6th of August. Having viewed the video evidence of both the match and the scenes afterwards they issued the following suspensions and fines – The Gowna club was fined

1,000 euros and the following were suspended – Sean McGahern (Gowna) 48 weeks, Martin McKeever (Gowna) 48 weeks, Bernard Morris (Gowna) 24 weeks and Willie Stephens (Gowna) 4 weeks, plus the next game in the competition.

Cavan Gaels were fined 2,000 euros and warned as to their future conduct. Sean Reilly received 48 weeks, Sean Higgins 8 weeks and Eoghan Elliott 4 weeks and the next game in the championship, Karl Crotty 2 weeks.

The clubs have just three days in which to appeal the suspensions and fines to the Hearings Committee of the Co. Board.

Wasn't at the game but from all reports there was a mass brawl involving all the players,mentors and some supporters.Yet after having viewed video evidence of the game and aftermath only 8 people were suspended (subject to appeal),3 who were sent off during the game, .Does this seem to anyone like a cop out from the CB's Competitions Control Committee?Or just maybe was the whole thing blown outta proportion?
I actually think that both Morris and Reilly's suspensions as players were severe,if they were suspended for the rest of the championship it would have sufficed.

cavan4ever

Quote from: shotstopper1 on August 09, 2007, 11:14:12 AM

Wasn't at the game but from all reports there was a mass brawl involving all the players,mentors and some supporters.Yet after having viewed video evidence of the game and aftermath only 8 people were suspended (subject to appeal),3 who were sent off during the game, .Does this seem to anyone like a cop out from the CB's Competitions Control Committee?Or just maybe was the whole thing blown outta proportion?
I actually think that both Morris and Reilly's suspensions as players were severe,if they were suspended for the rest of the championship it would have sufficed.

Wasn't at it either but was told that it was Reilly who started the brawl by charging onto the pitch after the final whistle and taking into a Gowna player.  If this is true his ban would be fair enough.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on August 09, 2007, 10:54:35 AM
Myles i read most of the county pages from time to time, but this one, to me is something else. I read the same tripe, player attitude, committment atc etc, the point is your not good enough and all the aformentioned teams ie college, club, minor and u21 continue to provide you with nothing of any quality. Stop knocking the players...accept they are not good enough. The clubs are your real problem, they are the ones not producing the talent, or devloping the talent....that is your real problem

There is no doubt that there is some truth in what you are saying about the standard of our clubs, underage levels etc. But that is no where near the whole story. I look back from 1999 - 2003 we were in Div 1 of the league and even contested a league final. Most of the players we had then are still on the team -maybe that is part of the problem - but surely you would expect those same players to perform a little better than they have been. The year we got relegated we beat a Full strength Armagh team 3-12 to 0-08 in Breffni. Club football in Cavan was shite back then too. Now don't take it that I am saying we are some great 1st division team or anything, but I do think that we could be a decent Div 2 team. Look around, there are only a handfull of teams capable of winning the All Ireland. But Sligo won connaught (we beat them this yr), Meath are in the All Ireland Semi (we did everything but beat them with 14 men this yr), Louth had a good run in qualifiers. The standard of club football is pretty similar in all those counties I would say. We have had young players making Irish compromise rules teams although any sort of minor success has eluded us. Something else has to be wrong somewhere. In defence of our thread, some of us here are just discussing what that "wrong" is and how we might rectify it. Believe me, I read other threads here and there is no where near the level of crap talked here than there is elsewhere - check out the mayo one!. All the Cavan boys on here are quite reasonable people, we don't have one "Hoganstand" type fool even. Your problem Max, is that everything is black or white. You are good or you are shite - no in between. It is not so simple. One thing I will say in all honesty. If we had our best 15 players lined up, hungry, organised and ready to kill for the Cavan jersey I reckon, on our day, we would be capable of beating 85-90% of the other counties in Ireland just like the Sligos and Louths and Meaths are at the moment.

Maximus Marillius

You may have a point, certainly with Louth, but meath have had successful school teams and minor team teams producing players....Sligo, now that a different question, have they improved or was it a case of the others going backwards big time, Sligo looked really out of their depth last weekend. I suppose in essence your right, with the esxception of meath, but would you not agree that for your county to really prosper your clubs have to take a real long hard look at what they are doing because producing quality players they are not. Thats where I see the real progreess that will make a huge difference happen. For instance at our club and I know that we might have a strong football culture, but I cant see that as being anymore different to a large amount of your clubs, we have very poor underage tems from minor to u16, five age groups, 18, 17,15 & 14 year olds. D.Cassidy has pulled a number of people together and the work at u13 level down has increased 3 fold with the result that we have strong skill base in these groups down. We target 6 year olds and get them playing with the coaching. Heres the rub he insists that it is done 11 months of the season at least twice a week, so we have from 12 to 6 year olds getting it at least twice a week and in the better weather sometimes 3 times. that takes a lot of committment. As a result we know we have strong teams coming again. Maybe clubs there are doing that also, if they are and not improving they need to look at the coaching. Cass insist that each team has a level one qualified coach from that age group down and that person is totlally responsable for the coaching,and the new recruits are donig the foundation level, no exceptions.  We also meet to agree the style of football we want so that each team is being taught to play in a similalr way

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on August 09, 2007, 12:06:56 PM
You may have a point, certainly with Louth, but meath have had successful school teams and minor team teams producing players....Sligo, now that a different question, have they improved or was it a case of the others going backwards big time, Sligo looked really out of their depth last weekend. I suppose in essence your right, with the esxception of meath, but would you not agree that for your county to really prosper your clubs have to take a rweal long hard look at what they are doing because producing quality players they are not. Thats where I see the real progreess that will make a huge difference happen. For instance at our club and I know that we might have a strong football culture, bu ti cant see that as being anymore different to a large amount of your clubs, we have very poor underage tems from minor to u16, four age groups. D.Cassidy has pulled a number of people together and the work at u13 level down has increased 3 fold with the result that we have strong skill base in these groups down. We target 6 year olds and get them playing with the coaching. Heres the rub he insists that it is down 11 months of the season at least twice a week, so we have from 12 to 6 year olds getting it at least twice a week and in the better weather sometimes 3 times. As a result we know we have strong teams coming again. Maybe clubs there are doing that also, if they are and not improving they need to look at the coaching. Cass insist that each team has a level one qualified coach from that age group down, and the new recruits are donig the foundation level, no exceptions

Seeing as we have far more clubs than you,too many for our population of just over 60,000... its not possible for all clubs to put these proceedures in place

The best clubs at underage here however are putting similar efforts in that Bellaghy are.

we dont win at McRory Level because we give up a one year advantage to McCartans and all the Northern Schools.One year at that age is insurmountable.

despite being a bit of a tool you are right that we do overhype our underage teams every year.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on August 09, 2007, 12:06:56 PM
You may have a point, certainly with Louth, but meath have had successful school teams and minor team teams producing players....Sligo, now that a different question, have they improved or was it a case of the others going backwards big time, Sligo looked really out of their depth last weekend. I suppose in essence your right, with the esxception of meath, but would you not agree that for your county to really prosper your clubs have to take a real long hard look at what they are doing because producing quality players they are not. Thats where I see the real progreess that will make a huge difference happen. For instance at our club and I know that we might have a strong football culture, but I cant see that as being anymore different to a large amount of your clubs, we have very poor underage tems from minor to u16, five age groups, 18, 17,15 & 14 year olds. D.Cassidy has pulled a number of people together and the work at u13 level down has increased 3 fold with the result that we have strong skill base in these groups down. We target 6 year olds and get them playing with the coaching. Heres the rub he insists that it is done 11 months of the season at least twice a week, so we have from 12 to 6 year olds getting it at least twice a week and in the better weather sometimes 3 times. that takes a lot of committment. As a result we know we have strong teams coming again. Maybe clubs there are doing that also, if they are and not improving they need to look at the coaching. Cass insist that each team has a level one qualified coach from that age group down and that person is totlally responsable for the coaching,and the new recruits are donig the foundation level, no exceptions.  We also meet to agree the style of football we want so that each team is being taught to play in a similalr way

Agree completely in what you are saying about underage development. Too many clubs have old style ejits running their underage set-ups. Many are unwilling to listen to advice never mind take a course. This is certainly where it starts to go wrong. I think many clubs are improving but many are not. Part of the problem is getting the right people involved to do training. Many parents are happy to dump their kids at the door and speed of for some freedom for an hour. I myself trained teams in U12 and U14 when I was about 25 yrs old. I was offered no training or the like. I did have an attitude of never giving up on a kid which a lot of the older generation would do if you were too fat, too small or just not from the right family stock. The U12's i trained got to a county final and 3/4 of them are now county minors. What I am most proud of is that about 15 of the panel of 20 are still playing football. The biggest problem is getting volunteers and then ones that are open minded enough to attend training courses and to apply what they are told.

Hollow Man

QuoteHe was good against Meath but did nothing against Sligo or Wexford that I can remember (2 games we were lucky to win & Draw). He was destroyed against Roscommon in league semi and then against Down (no matter who he was marking

I personally thought Brady's performance at wing back against Sligo (his man was taken off, he cleared a ball off the line, filelded some crazy balls, kicked a point from the right corner flag with his right foot - best Cavan point this year -  and had another sweet point ruled out when it was clearly over) was probably the best by any Cavan player this year.

When the going got tough against Wex, her got stuck in I thought - he had won the All Ireland senior singles the evening before.

Agree re roscommon, but he was out of position - put McCabe at full back or Hannon at full forward and you'll see the same result!

Anyway, doubt he or Jelly will be back when Keogan's there...

What i would be worried about is McKeever, Pierson etc. The amount of Cavan fellas you see falling round the town drunk is incredible - I would suggest that their hearts aren't in it.

I'd have a lot more respect for fellas who give it everything all eyar but leave on a point of principle (ie being fucked around) than fellas who go through the motions all year, drinking, messing about. You can tell who they are by their performances.

I understand when people say that the lads probably shouldn't have gone to Chicago (esp Cahill who was keeping his place ahead of Fannin, who had done very well) but they knew the camp was fucked, there was no discipline and the manager was incompetent. Plus they got a great offer and needed to support themselves.

Keogan is a clown, pure and simple. He's going to set us back years, and we're bad enough already...

BallyhaiseMan

well Keoghan has one more year in which to bring cavan on,staying up in Division Two and at least two wins in the championship are realistic and achieveable goals for me anyway.If he doesnt he will be gone its that simple.

Hollow Man

Grimley will go to Armagh and we'll be left with the other clown, whose two managerial jobs are with the county minors and then seniors. It's just laughable.

QuoteStop knocking the players...accept they are not good enough

We have had more representatives on the Irish Under 17 International Rules team than any other county in Ulster. This suggests that we are producing 16/17 year olds as talented as anywhere else. So, Max, you're completely wrong - the players are good enough.

The attitudes, however, are terrible.

BallyhaiseMan

HM

If Grimley goes to Armagh,Keoghan would have to bring another trainer in to replace him id imagine.
Keoghan doesnt actually train the team(Julie Davis does the physical work and Grimley the ball work) or do tactics(Grimley) or make the changes along the line(Grimley again)  :D, so in all honesty what the f**k is he there for?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 09, 2007, 01:03:56 PM
HM

If Grimley goes to Armagh,Keoghan would have to bring another trainer in to replace him id imagine.
Keoghan doesnt actually train the team(Julie Davis does the physical work and Grimley the ball work) or do tactics(Grimley) or make the changes along the line(Grimley again)  :D, so in all honesty what the f**k is he there for?

Maybe he is supplying the after match refreshments which Homer reckons has the boys falling around the town. I did see him collecting the balls after shooting practice in Croker before the Roscommon game so he is contributing something else.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Hollow Man on August 09, 2007, 12:56:35 PM
Grimley will go to Armagh and we'll be left with the other clown, whose two managerial jobs are with the county minors and then seniors. It's just laughable.

We have had more representatives on the Irish Under 17 International Rules team than any other county in Ulster. This suggests that we are producing 16/17 year olds as talented as anywhere else. So, Max, you're completely wrong - the players are good enough.

Hollow man, Derry and Tyrone do not let their kids go to that shit.....so pretend ye know what yer talking baout....its says more about cavan I think

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on August 09, 2007, 01:09:00 PM
Quote from: Hollow Man on August 09, 2007, 12:56:35 PM

Hollow man, Derry and Tyrone do not let their kids go to that shit.....so pretend ye know what yer talking baout....its says more about cavan I think

aye but the fact that we have had more youngsters on it than the likes Kerry,Armagh,Dublin,Laois,Mayo,Galway etc means nothing of course does it max?  ::)
Hollowman is correct in what he says,The attitude of players in this county is atrocious.

Maximus Marillius

FFs Haise, would you listen to yourself, ye have more from Kerry, Armagh, Galwat etc, if these lads are so good why haven't you won a minor Ulster championship....don't you get most counties dont let there best go

QuoteThis suggests that we are producing 16/17 year olds as talented as anywhere else
...that is some laugh...with all those minor titles