Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shotstopper1

Outcome of weekend games, someone may have the full results (they were actually on aertel on d'tele pg 476)

Senior

Crosserlough bt Castlerahan
Gaels bt Gowna
Kingscourt bt Cuchullains

Senior Qualifier

Knockbride bt Drumalee

Intermediate

Drumlane bt Drung
Laragh bt Killinkere

Qualifier
Ballymachugh bt Kill

Junior Qualifiers

Killeshandra bt Templeport
Kildallan bt Mountnugent

maverick

If you want the results from all the championship games this year go here and follow the instructions.The results are sent out every evening after the last game finishes. http://gaaresults.blogspot.com its free for this year. Signed up to it about 3 weeks ago.Even got the draws as they happened was happy enough with that.

BallyhaiseMan

Heavy fines and suspensions
08 August 2007

The after-match brawl which followed the Cavan SFC first round replay between Cavan Gaels and Gowna on Sunday 5th August in Kingspan/Breffni Park, Cavan which resulted in three Cavan Gaels players being sent off and a sideline brawl at the conclusion of the game was dealt swiftly and efficiently by the Competitions Control Committee of Cavan Co. Board who met on Monday night last, 6th of August. Having viewed the video evidence of both the match and the scenes afterwards they issued the following suspensions and fines – The Gowna club was fined

1,000 euros and the following were suspended – Sean McGahern (Gowna) 48 weeks, Martin McKeever (Gowna) 48 weeks, Bernard Morris (Gowna) 24 weeks and Willie Stephens (Gowna) 4 weeks, plus the next game in the competition.

Cavan Gaels were fined 2,000 euros and warned as to their future conduct. Sean Reilly received 48 weeks, Sean Higgins 8 weeks and Eoghan Elliott 4 weeks and the next game in the championship, Karl Crotty 2 weeks.

The clubs have just three days in which to appeal the suspensions and fines to the Hearings Committee of the Co. Board.

Hollow Man

Gowna are absolutely brutal. Pierson's head is up his hole and McKeever isn't half the player he was. Paddy Brady isn't a quarter of the player he was either.

Seeing them bring on Bernard Morris and Ciaran Brady has lead me to one logical conclusion:

Take Dermot McCabe out of the Gowna team and they wouldn't even be a senior club, let alone compete well in the Cavan senior championship...

Discuss.

cavan4ever

Haven't seen gowna play this year but those players have gone backwards. 

What age is morris and brady now?  McCabe was the only player cavan had this year hope he is back next year.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Hollow Man on August 08, 2007, 02:03:12 PM
Gowna are absolutely brutal. Pierson's head is up his hole and McKeever isn't half the player he was. Paddy Brady isn't a quarter of the player he was either.

Seeing them bring on Bernard Morris and Ciaran Brady has lead me to one logical conclusion:

Take Dermot McCabe out of the Gowna team and they wouldn't even be a senior club, let alone compete well in the Cavan senior championship...

Discuss.

agree completely Hollow Man

McCabe was majestic for Gowna on Sunday and has been for Cavan all year.

Pierson and McKeever have disappointed greatly this year. You wouldnt even know either were playing on Sunday.

mylestheslasher

The question has to be asked... How can two of the counties brightest hopes (i.e. Pierson and McKeever) be so off form. Two years ago I watch Pierson in Navan kick 5/6 points from play against Meath. He won MOM even though Cavan lost which is saying something. McKeever put in one of the best displays I ever seen from a Cavan player in the Ulster Semi Final against Armagh the year before that when we played the whole match with 14 men. Both have been mediocre in the County Campaign and it is very disturbing to hear that they are even looking mediocre at club level - where they should be standing out. What is the cause of this I wonder? My gut feeling tells me palyer attitudes are the problem. The big fish in a small Pond syndrome? Someone told me once that the problem with Cavan footballers is that once they make the Cavan panel they start thinking that they've made it, there is nothing left to achieve. What do ye think?

Denn Forever

Bernard Morris would be 41/42
Larry Brady is 40
Dessie Brady is 39
Ciaran Brady is 38

Still playing?  Fair play
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cavanmaniac

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 08, 2007, 04:19:27 PM
The question has to be asked... How can two of the counties brightest hopes (i.e. Pierson and McKeever) be so off form. Two years ago I watch Pierson in Navan kick 5/6 points from play against Meath. He won MOM even though Cavan lost which is saying something. McKeever put in one of the best displays I ever seen from a Cavan player in the Ulster Semi Final against Armagh the year before that when we played the whole match with 14 men. Both have been mediocre in the County Campaign and it is very disturbing to hear that they are even looking mediocre at club level - where they should be standing out. What is the cause of this I wonder? My gut feeling tells me palyer attitudes are the problem. The big fish in a small Pond syndrome? Someone told me once that the problem with Cavan footballers is that once they make the Cavan panel they start thinking that they've made it, there is nothing left to achieve. What do ye think?

I think you could have something there. There's just no pride in the blue shirt any more, no sense of prestige or honour among the players. I've said it before but it's worth re-stating - at the moment the county's fortunes are so bad that talented players are brought in and indulged and made to feel indispensible because we as fans and the manager and backroom team are too desperate for things to improve to ever drop them. This gives the player an inflated sense of worth and instead of him having a deep sense of being just a small part of something bigger, better and more enduring than himself, the tail wagging the dog mentality kicks in and he instead thinks he's bigger than the team and it's there to serve him rather than the other way around.

That sounds like dreadful pop psychology but there's something wrong somewhere. In alot of other counties the likes of Pierson would never have gone the way he is and countless others like him in this county.

We've all said it here lots of times, it'd be better to clear out the bad apples and start from scratch with a panel of players who understand and know what it means to play for Cavan and the responsibility that goes with it. If we have three seasons without a win but have 30 lads willing to walk through a wall for the jersey, like Meath, Monagahan, Sligo, Louth have, then we'd be all the better for it. And you'd quickly find that the bad apples would turn good again and if returned to the panel on the county's terms and not their own, might just realise their potential.

Homer

Drop McCabe!!

McCabe is a winner through and through and is one of the few players on the panel that will give it all year in year out to try and advance Cavan's cause. The occasional outburst during games and the like stems from this constant urge to win and in my opinion the positive influence he has on a team as a leader by example, far out-weighs any negative impact.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: CC1 on August 09, 2007, 08:38:00 AM
Don't think you could have hit the nail any sweeter there cavanmaniac. Problem is, I don't think we'll see that for a good while. We have been talking about the bad influence McCabe can be at times, but could you honestly see anyone dropping him from the squad at this moment in time? The quality just isn't there I'm afraid.

Don't think McCabe has been as bad as in previous years. OK, so he still wants to take every free within 100 miles of the goals but he did his talking on the field. Maybe his moaning in previous yrs stemed out of him having a lot of injury problems and never being able to get properly fit. I would be looking elsewhere at players who did not perform this year. I'm talking McKeever, Pierson, Johnstone, Gunner, Jason, Mulvey, Larry, James Reilly, Eamonn Reilly... Thats a long list (could even be longer) but those guys did not do it this year, and none of them walked through walls for us as Maniac put it. I said it before. We need county trials where every player has to "re-apply" for their place on the panel.

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 09, 2007, 09:07:00 AM
Quote from: CC1 on August 09, 2007, 08:38:00 AM
Don't think you could have hit the nail any sweeter there cavanmaniac. Problem is, I don't think we'll see that for a good while. We have been talking about the bad influence McCabe can be at times, but could you honestly see anyone dropping him from the squad at this moment in time? The quality just isn't there I'm afraid.

I said it before. We need county trials where every player has to "re-apply" for their place on the panel.

Thats does be said every year but probably won't happen, it prob is  the only way of moving forward though.   Divison 2 is though next year and avoiding relegation won't be easy but rebuilding definately has to start.

Hollow Man

Gunner didn't perform? What are you smoking?

Best player in the league when the going got tough against the likes of Meath, Sligo and Wexford, then he got shafted by being put out of position on Down's best player. When he was brought out to wing back that day his direct opponent James McGovern was taken off, yet Brady was dropped for the replay. Crazy stuff.

As for Johnston, he was a bit burnt out and suffered from injury during the league, but in the championship he was tearing Down apart, so they took hm off and dropped him. When he came on the following day he kicked three points.

Larry and Jason are past it at county level - it's a joke that we're relying on them, but they made a big effort. Mulvey and Eamon Reilly didn't underperform because they're both rubbish at inter county level - one too cumbersome and fond of the beer, the other too light and unable to tackle.

The real underperformers this year were McKeever, Pierson and, most of all, Donal Keogan.

Maximus Marillius

The under performers in Cavan are the supporters, who cannot see that they have hardly a decent county footballer, and yet they cannot understand how the f**k they are not doing better....No college teams worth two balls of blue for 30 years, no winning minor or u21 teams for god knows how long and nto a club team in cavan to have played in an Ulster club final never mind won it, and ye still expect cavn to have a division one team :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on August 09, 2007, 10:35:57 AM
The under performers in Cavan are the supporters, who cannot see that they have hardly a decent county footballer, and yet they cannot understand how the f**k they are not doing better....No college teams worth two balls of blue for 30 years, no winning minor or u21 teams for god knows how long and nto a club team in cavan to have played in an Ulster club final never mind won it, and ye still expect cavn to have a division one team :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Max - you pop your head in here talking shite every so often - whats the deal. Fishing for a row? Maybe you are bored - take up a hobby or something. Who on here has said that we expect to be a Div 1 team. We all know that we have limitations but we also know when our players (the ones that many of us here watch week in week out in club and county games) are under performing. True, our underage success level is abysmal but our defeats this year stench of something else.

Hollow Man. Was at all 3 of those games. He was good against Meath but did nothing against Sligo or Wexford that I can remember (2 games we were lucky to win & Draw). He was destroyed against Roscommon in league semi and then against Down (no matter who he was marking) and then he fucked off - thats my reading of it. He dissapointed me anyhow as I expected him to be one of our main men this year after some great performances in previous years. Johnstone was poor all league. He used to take players on and beat them but this year he didn't seem to want to and was more inclined to take stupid shots from impossible angles and then he fucked off too. Leaving for the US shows me both players hearts weren't in it. Oh yeh - I am smoking Angry Pot today, works the opposite to normal Pot! ;D