Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

According to Cavan Twitter Tinnelly got 3 points, Lyng got 1. No doubt Tinnelly has a great eye for a point. Saw him kick a few mighty ones in the McKenna cup. Anyone know why he has not got a run since then, seems strange that he didnt warrant a few starts in the league.

As for the club games being called off, I can imagine it is a major pain for the club players but I am guessing the senior team has asked for a few clear weeks to prepare to gave the backdoor a proper rattle. On balance I think it might be worth it to try and get it going again although I wouldn't like to see it become a habit as if club is not looked after there will be no senior team  in 10 years.

rodney trotter

He was doing well in the McKenna Cup, there was a few injuries at the time and he got in the team. Was unlucky to lose out after that, made a few sub appearancs in the league, started against Limerick and done well there too.

It's a good competiton to keep lads out of u21 together  for a few games and something to build on even if its only Junior. Other lads like Tinnelly his first year on the Senior panel, he didn't play under age co football.

Louth beat Kildare in the Quarter finals so they wouldn't have been that bad. Obviously out classed on the night.

comeysfield

All very low profile here any team news at all !!

tierworker blue

Does anyone have an idea yet if the W'meath match will be on the 28th or the 29th, and what time it may be at? I'm trying to organise a few bits and bobs, and could do with some details soonish! It hasn't been officially sorted out yet it seems, so I was wondering if any of y'all are 'in the know?!'

rossiewanderer

Hopefully this match is not marred by poor sportsmanship and violence.

Itchy

Match is on 28th isn't it. I think its just the throw in time that hasn't been confirmed yet.

tierworker blue

Quote from: Itchy on June 18, 2014, 07:10:57 AM
Match is on 28th isn't it. I think its just the throw in time that hasn't been confirmed yet.

Yeah, I was thinking that allright. The gaa website says that that round of qualifiers will be played on the w'end of the 28th/29th, so I'm wondering if they'll throw a curve ball and have it on Sunday!

cavanmaniac

It's a massive game for Cavan against Westmeath and I don't think I'm stretching it too far to say that should we turn in a poor performance and lose, we'll really be at a crossroads and although there is still ample raw material to build quickly and go at it again it would represent a big deflation and step backwards.

I've been concerned since the U21 semi and league final loss that we are being 'found out' by other teams to an extent and that our tactics are too one-dimensional, while increased expectancy isn't helping either. Put all this alongside the Armagh display and it would seem to suggest that the team doesn't have the same pep in its step or isn't operating on the same level as last year, almost like we've got that "difficult second album" syndrome that music artists often talk off.

Hopefully a home game against near neighbours, that are no world-beaters themselves at the moment, can see us iron out a few problems and get the show back on the road. Anything less than a decent run in the qualifiers this year will be a step back and will raise a lot of questions I believe.

Not pushing the panic button or anything like it, but I do see this game as pivotal for this season and perhaps Terry's project overall. Even in defeat I don't think there'd be any hasty decisions made by the county board and nor should there be, but it would turn 2015 into a last chance saloon when we all thought, after last year, we'd be right in the mix for an Ulster title at least.

I really hope Armagh was just a blip!

comeysfield

With Martin Dunne out does this mean that somebody like Enda Reilly will get the "Scoring Forward" job. As Jack Brady refuses to shoot will he get a run. Right now we need a forward to score 3 or 4 from play to compliment Keating  as it is just too easy then to mark Eugene out of the game 

rodney trotter

Enda Reilly would be worth a go alright., not currently on the panel but the junior final is next Wednesday so that's a chance to impress a few days before the Westmeath game. Blow to lose another player to the US in Dara McVeety,  its the norm for u21s to go away in the summer being students, but another loss to the panel.

comeysfield

Game Saturday at 3 O'Clock getting a bad feeling about this

Westside

Hard to believe the bookies have Westmeath at 9/4 for this game. Without Clarke, the two Flanagans, Dunne and perhaps Mackey, I think we'll struggle. I'd like to see an attempt to address some of our problem areas. More directness up front and running at the Westmeath defence. Some players severely out of form need to be dropped from the starting team. The good feeling around the county has been dampened a lot since the U21 Semi Final, a win for the Juniors on Wednesday and another on Saturday evening might pick things up again.

rodney trotter

If Westmeath some type of Form this year then the odds would obviously be shorter, They had a poor League losing 7 games and were beaten at home in the Championship. It will be a tough game all the same, but would expect a reaction from Cavan after the Armagh game. Cavan played some good attacking football in the league final against Roscommon,poor finishing by Dunne and Keating was costly. Armagh were set up very defensive which meant the task was even tougher with no Mackey to break though the tackles and get some quick ball in.
Looks like Mackey will be out again, so someone else will have the play maker role.

Old yeller

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 23, 2014, 06:40:26 PM
If Westmeath some type of Form this year then the odds would obviously be shorter, They had a poor League losing 7 games and were beaten at home in the Championship. It will be a tough game all the same, but would expect a reaction from Cavan after the Armagh game. Cavan played some good attacking football in the league final against Roscommon,poor finishing by Dunne and Keating was costly. Armagh were set up very defensive which meant the task was even tougher with no Mackey to break though the tackles and get some quick ball in.
Looks like Mackey will be out again, so someone else will have the play maker role.
Who would you put in instead of Mackey?

Itchy

What's the story with Mackey, same injury?