Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

Ishmael has to be a serious transfer target during the close season. Classy act in the Trevor Giles mould-would be a first season automatic choice for the GAA Board Ulster Railway Cup selection, if you get my fairly drift, which I don't fully get myself to be honest, must be a long weekend on the way
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

was in at Breffini tonight, Disgraceful scenes at the end of the Cavan Gaels match, a free for all with players,managers and supporters,must have been over 100 people involved.

Crosserlough 0-10 Castlerahan 0-08

desperate game, picked up a bit in the 2nd half,

Jonathon Crowe outstanding for C'Lough kicked over a few marvelous scores from midfield

Adrian Reily, and Enda Gaffney also kicked some great points,

Declan Gaffney was very good for them in midfield as well.

Jarlath O Reily kept Mackey very quiet in the backs.

Only 5 guys for me who looked anything approaching county standard

From Castlerahan

Mackey was atrocious,no feet on him what so ever.

Sean Brady was destroyed at Midfield by Gaffney but kicked 3 points from Play when moved to full forward.

Flanagan was ok,not up to his usual standards.

No-one else from Castlerahan was impressive,desperately disappointed in them to be honest.

Cavan Gaels 2-14 Gowna 3-08
Great game of football.
Gaels raced into a 1-10 to 0-3 lead just before half time with,Sean Reily running riot at midfield outplaying Paddy Brady,
and Niall Collins and Sean Higgins and Mickie Graham destroying the Gowna Full Back line. And Cathal Collins keeping Pierson in check
Then McCabe fisted in a goal just before half time.

Gowna came out fighting in the second scoring 1-3 without reply.
McCabe must have finished up with about 1-06 as a personal tally.
The Gaels were a disgrace discipline wise
Karl Crotty was sent off for a second booking for the Gaels.
He was then joined by teammate Sean Reily a straight red for a disgraceful elbow on Mark McKeever.
Sean Higgins was then given a straight red for a horrible trip near the end.
Gowna brought on Ciaran Brady and Morris to try and change it but couldnt narrow the gap.

At the end from what i seen a Gaels sub nudged one of the Gowna management under the stand which started the free for all,This wasnt handbags stuff guys,there were a fair few punches thrown.
Some players are looking at long bans.

For Gaels,
Pauric Smith at cornerback was good
Gavin Duffy attacked well,
Sean Reily very good at centre field
Paul O Donnell also very good at wing forward,

and the trio inside

Niall Collins, Sean Higgins and Mickie Graham were on fire.
if Keoghan or Grimley were at the game,they should look at some of those 3.

For Gowna

McCabe was outstanding,almost single handidly pulled it off on his own.
McKeever came into it well in 2nd half as did Pierson
Dreadfully disappointed in Paddy Brady
also disappointed in Niall Madden and Ciaran Fitzpatrick two ex county minors and under 21's.

BallyhaiseMan

C4ever

just an update of this thread

a Paddy Baxter from Ballymachugh got a 48 week suspension,

i wonder had that anything to do with the incidents in the Drung game  ;) .

Maximus Marillius

Things not going according to plan Haise....

Last season's junior champions, Swanlinbar turned in one of their best performances of the season in their Cavan IFC opening round game against a fancied Ballyhaise side at O'Connell Park, Milltown on Sunday last, 29th of July, losing a very close and competitive game on a scoreline of 1-13 to 0-14.

Ballyhaise despite being without key players Ray Cullivan (injured) and Ali Pickett were expected to win this game easily against a side that is struggling in Division 2 of the SFL.

The Swad side started the game in a blaze of glory with three early points to put down a marker for their Division One opponents. As the half progressed they grew in confidence and led at the break by five points 0-11 to 1-3 – the Ballyhaise goal scored by Eamonn Costello.

Gerry O'Rourke's Ballyhaise side had a real battle ahead of them at the start of the second-half but to their credit they 'rose to the challenge'. They slowly but surely worked their way back into the game, and thanks to some shooting by their attack ran out winners in the end.

Ballyhaise are now through to the quarter-finals of the IFC and a meeting with the winners of the losers qualifier group. Swanlinbar hopes of getting back into the championship depend on how they fare in the losers' group where they play the losers of the Drumlane v Drung first round replay.

Ballyhaise - B. Maguire; Anthony Lyons, Barry Kelly, Martin Tackney; Fergal Slowey, Brendan Lyons, Kevin Rooney; Barry McCrudden, Conor Lyons; Stephen Smith, Eamonn Costello, John Donoghue; Colm Reilly, James Brady, Ciaran McGowan.

Swanlinbar – Anthony McGoldrick; Seamus Corrigan, Michael Curran; Liam Prior, Paul Prior, Thomas Prior; Damien Leydon, Gearoid McKiernan; Kevin Brennan, Rory McBarron, Paul Brennan, Adrian McGoldrick, Mark Cunningham, Kevin Prior, Padraig McManus.
Subs used – Neil McGovern for P. Prior and Michael Cunningham for P. McManus.

Referee – Martin Brady, Lacken Celtic.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on August 07, 2007, 01:20:41 PM
Things not going according to plan Haise....

Last season's junior champions, Swanlinbar turned in one of their best performances of the season in their Cavan IFC opening round game against a fancied Ballyhaise side at O'Connell Park, Milltown on Sunday last, 29th of July, losing a very close and competitive game on a scoreline of 1-13 to 0-14.

Ballyhaise despite being without key players Ray Cullivan (injured) and Ali Pickett were expected to win this game easily against a side that is struggling in Division 2 of the SFL.

The Swad side started the game in a blaze of glory with three early points to put down a marker for their Division One opponents. As the half progressed they grew in confidence and led at the break by five points 0-11 to 1-3 – the Ballyhaise goal scored by Eamonn Costello.

Gerry O'Rourke's Ballyhaise side had a real battle ahead of them at the start of the second-half but to their credit they 'rose to the challenge'. They slowly but surely worked their way back into the game, and thanks to some shooting by their attack ran out winners in the end.

Ballyhaise are now through to the quarter-finals of the IFC and a meeting with the winners of the losers qualifier group. Swanlinbar hopes of getting back into the championship depend on how they fare in the losers' group where they play the losers of the Drumlane v Drung first round replay.

Ballyhaise - B. Maguire; Anthony Lyons, Barry Kelly, Martin Tackney; Fergal Slowey, Brendan Lyons, Kevin Rooney; Barry McCrudden, Conor Lyons; Stephen Smith, Eamonn Costello, John Donoghue; Colm Reilly, James Brady, Ciaran McGowan.

Swanlinbar – Anthony McGoldrick; Seamus Corrigan, Michael Curran; Liam Prior, Paul Prior, Thomas Prior; Damien Leydon, Gearoid McKiernan; Kevin Brennan, Rory McBarron, Paul Brennan, Adrian McGoldrick, Mark Cunningham, Kevin Prior, Padraig McManus.
Subs used – Neil McGovern for P. Prior and Michael Cunningham for P. McManus.

Referee – Martin Brady, Lacken Celtic.

its called winning in the championship Maxi,something ye havent done this year yet i may add  ;D  :-*
But no we were awful against Swad il give ye that.
we have til the weekend of the 24th of August to put that right though.  :)

Maximus Marillius

I was watching the results and i'm glad I took some of your comrades in the cavan pages advice and not bet on castlerahan....they were beaten.

BallyhaiseMan

Castlerahan were awful...i did tell you not to bet on them aswell unless you wanted to lose money dont forget  ;)

Cavan Gaels if they dont get half their team suspended  :D will walk this championship im afraid.

shotstopper1

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 07, 2007, 01:11:16 PM
C4ever

Wonder will any of the Gowna or Gaels lads get anything near that,seemingly it was all caught by the video, but of course the recording of such incidents can often, convienently, go missing,too many county players involved etc.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: shotstopper1 on August 07, 2007, 02:49:46 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 07, 2007, 01:11:16 PM
C4ever

Wonder will any of the Gowna or Gaels lads get anything near that,seemingly it was all caught by the video, but of course the recording of such incidents can often, convienently, go missing,too many county players involved etc.

You're probably right,The County Board will probably be too afraid to punish them incase half of them refused to play for the county next year over the treatment of their clubs etc etc.  ::)

cavan4ever

Quote from: shotstopper1 on August 07, 2007, 02:49:46 PM

C4ever

No just talking to a lad from ballymachugh and he got sent off for 2 bookings and gave the ref alot of shit and then again after the game , and i believe the auld fella gave the ref more shit in the car park after the game.  The ref was ollie the finn .

On the gaels gowna thing heard there are suspensions ranging from 1 year to 3 months, don't think any county players got suspended.

BallyhaiseMan

One of the Gowna supporters gave one of the Gaels players(think it was Gearoid Collins ,but i was down the Cavan side of the stand) an awful hiding down near the corner,must have connected with 3 or 4 punches and a few kicks.

also wasnt impressed with the Gaels Gamesmanship of Lyng going down with cramp 5 minutes after he came on as a sub when Sean Higgins seen red.
McCabe and Ciaran Brady went mad  :D

Homer

I heard there was no camera footage but I could be wrong. Wouldn't mind a copy of it.

I know that one Breffni Park official (who shall go unnamed) was given the job of taking the down the names/numbers of the players, management and supporters involved in the melee. After the whole thing calmed down and the teams had gone into the dressing room area the official approached a player (who shall also go nameless) to inform him that his name was certainly on the list, to which said player responded by grabbing the notepad of him, sticking it in his bag and taking off out the door!!

Don't think suspensions will be handed out til Friday night.

Felt sorry for Collins as I believe he was only holding a Gowna player back when the Da' came over and split him.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Homer on August 07, 2007, 03:09:14 PM

I know that one Breffni Park official (who shall go unnamed) was given the job of taking the down the names/numbers of the players, management and supporters involved in the melee. After the whole thing calmed down and the teams had gone into the dressing room area the official approached a player (who shall also go nameless) to inform him that his name was certainly on the list, to which said player responded by grabbing the notepad of him, sticking it in his bag and taking off out the door!!

:D  :D  :D  :D
just cant stop laughing at that.

mylestheslasher

Seems like there was some craic in Breffni alright. If the gaels get landed with those suspensions it will certainly open up the championship a bit. Indeed, Gowna could yet figure as could Mullahoran. Anyone got the rest of the results yet? Aertel is still trying to get results from the week before. Hoganstand isn't updating and GAA results.ie isn't updating either. FFS you think you'd get championship results fairly sharpish.

Since I am now out in the wilderness I only heard that Killeshandra beat Templeport by 1 goal + what you lads have already put up here.

BallyhaiseMan

Kingscourt beat Cuchullains 2-11 to 1-10 in the replay Myles.

Cuchullains now play Denn in one of the qualifiers