Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMac

Clarke is a good footballer, but it drives me mad when I see our supposed best players upstairs in the imperial smoking fags. I know they are amateurs and everything, but I don't think too many other all star nominated players from the top counties would be smoking. I'm sure Terry doesn't know he's at it, but doing it blatantly obvious in front of anyone who wants to see him in the Imperial. I wish he wouldn't do it. (and yes i was in the smoking area smoking, so I'm a hypocrite - sue me)

orangeman

Quote from: BigMac on May 17, 2014, 09:56:15 PM
Clarke is a good footballer, but it drives me mad when I see our supposed best players upstairs in the imperial smoking fags. I know they are amateurs and everything, but I don't think too many other all star nominated players from the top counties would be smoking. I'm sure Terry doesn't know he's at it, but doing it blatantly obvious in front of anyone who wants to see him in the Imperial. I wish he wouldn't do it. (and yes i was in the smoking area smoking, so I'm a hypocrite - sue me)

It would be worse if he was having a Big Mac.

mylestheslasher

Manys a lad has a few fags on a night out, its a free world after all. It is not effecting his football so why would anyone be concerned. There has been no update since the Celt broke the news even tough we were told a decision would be made quickly. I suppose if he is not at the all star game this weekend then that will tell us.

Louth played a blanket defense yesterday and comfortably beat Westmeath, 2 weeks earlier armagh beat Louth in a challenge by 8 points. I think Armagh will have a plan for us this year. However I think we will do much better in midfield this time (we lost midfield 70:30 last year) so I am still hopeful we can win.

Blue in hope

Dropped in to Terry Coyle yesterday evening to see Ramor play the Gaels. I would have excepted Ramor to give the senior championship a good rattle this year but Gaels gave them a good beating 2-19 to 0-6. Ramor seemed to have all their players togged out but the Gaels were missing alot. They were missing Niall Murray,Niall Smith,Martin Dunne,Michael Lyng,Kevin Meehan,Chesty Reilly,Johnston and Barry Fortune. Paul O Connor put in a great display at full forward scoring at least 1-6 from play.

mylestheslasher

Its very quiet around here. Now given that Killian Clarke seems to be gone time to re jig the team...

Gilsenan - just about, he needs to improve his kick outs.
Fergal Flanagan - tight and can take a score.
R Dunne - Decent but no other option either
Hayes - solid
Moynagh - Need a ball player in the backs and can kick a score
Clarke - poor enough last day but is a leader
McEnroe - Good player but needs to stop being so casual on the ball
Damien Reilly - I think we need someone with a defensive game. Also good for a point or two.
Gearoid - Attacking midifeld, good for a few points.
Argue - An option on kick outs, good for a few points, strong.
McDermott - Free taker, ball winner
Martin Reilly - Hard worker, good for a few points.
Mackey - free role out the field
Keating - Needs to make the right decisiion but can be unmarkable
Dunne - Free taker, on form could get you 4/5 points a game. Hopefully his form will return.

If Gearoid isn't fit Givney will go in there I expect. Of course we don't know how well different lads are going in training. Paul O Connor hit 1.-6 for Cavan Gaels at the weekend so who knows who might make a late run into the team.

mylestheslasher

Jaysus, there'd be more chat down in the morgue.

Minors are out against Armagh in Clones on Sunday at the ridiculous time of 6pm (how come Armagh don't have home advantage?)! I believe we gave them a good beating in the Ulster league but no doubt things will have changed since then. Its a hard age group to judge but the signs are that this is a very decent Cavan team so hopefully we can overcome this challenge, we need to see an improved set of results at minor to keep the conveyor of players going.

rodney trotter

It's probaly because it's not on before the Senior game on the 8th, as obviously the Leaving Cert will be on then so a neutral venue for both counties,. The Minor game against Antrim in 2011 was in Newry, the Minor Quarter final last year against Fermanagh was in Clones -. Last couple of years Cavan have been in the prelimanary round so Minor & Senior were on same day..

very good Minor team this year. I think if they keep their focus they can win uster but one step at a time

comeysfield

Anybody any idea on a team for the minor game

Westside

I hear the mood within the squad isn't exactly what you'd hope it to be before Championship time. Things seem a bit deflated. Gearoid isn't looking fit, Keating struggling too. They lost fairly convincingly to Longford in a challenge a few weeks ago. Let's hope they can pick it up to beat Armagh but it's not looking very promising at the moment.

Hard to know about the Minors, the only year in the last 10 years I've heard we had a poor team was 2011! They had a fairly mediocre league (then again so did the 2011 team) It's a real pity there's no back door like in the other provinces, seems very unfair.

rodney trotter

Minor League is for experimenting - they hammered Monaghan in the Shield final. I think there is more talent in this team then the 2011 side, 4 or 5 forwards capable of scoring unlike the 2011 team. Hopefully they can perform on Sunday.

Longford were playing in the championship last week so would have close to full strength in that match

mylestheslasher

One thing I'd be worried about is the fact that the Celt is reporting Hyland as saying that the Killian Clarke thing is not decided. Surely Clarke needs to do the right thing and make a quick decision. It can't be healthy for the panel if it is up in the air. Is he training when this is going on? Gearoid being injured has been rumoured for weeks and is a worry, especially with Givneys form not being great. Maybe time for Givney to step up, grab a game by the balls and make it happen. The challenge game wouldn't worry me too much but this Clarke thing does.

rodney trotter

Yes it would be good for the management to know one way or the other, so they could concentrate on picking a side on who is available.

tommysmith

Someone on Boards.ie said Clarke hasn't trained with Cavan since the league final, how true it is god knows.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tommysmith on May 22, 2014, 09:59:47 PM
Someone on Boards.ie said Clarke hasn't trained with Cavan since the league final, how true it is god knows.

Maybe its a done deal and Terry is just keeping his cards close to his chest.

Westside

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 22, 2014, 08:26:45 PM
Minor League is for experimenting - they hammered Monaghan in the Shield final. I think there is more talent in this team then the 2011 side, 4 or 5 forwards capable of scoring unlike the 2011 team. Hopefully they can perform on Sunday.

Longford were playing in the championship last week so would have close to full strength in that match

Big statement that given the success that 2011 team have gone on to enjoy. I wouldn't be familiar with the Minor side at all. Could you guess a team rodney or at least some of the definite starters?