Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

Any word on how preparations have gone for the U21s up to now? It seems nice and quiet which is a good thing. I gather Derry have high hopes for their side this year and they, like all of Ulster, have had Cavan in their sights for quite some time now. If we get over this one I'd give us a great chance at bagging another provincial title but it's a big hurdle straight out of the gates.

Cavan have a highly talented bunch too, but are we asking too much to expect yet more success?

Westside

To go to Derry and get a result and then face Tyrone in the next round is a huge ask in an Ulster quest. But the lads will be taking it one game at a time. The team's expectations of themselves are very high I gather but we've seen some major problems in the Hastings Cup, notably lack of fire power. Sincerely hope Clarke or Argue aren't involved on Sunday.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Westside on March 07, 2014, 06:09:38 PM
To go to Derry and get a result and then face Tyrone in the next round is a huge ask in an Ulster quest. But the lads will be taking it one game at a time. The team's expectations of themselves are very high I gather but we've seen some major problems in the Hastings Cup, notably lack of fire power. Sincerely hope Clarke or Argue aren't involved on Sunday.

They won't be part of the panel, why would they start including U21s a few days before an Ulster championship game when they haven't done that in the past few years.

Derry are resting their own too, like Ryan Bell.

Westside

I agree rodney, lots of people were calling for their inclusion, good to see the management sticking to the way things have gone for the previous few years.

1   Conor Gilsenan   Conchur Mac Giolla Seanáin   Seamróga Choill an Chollaigh
2   Joshua Hayes   Joshua Ó hAodha   An Muinchille
3   Killian Brady   Cillain MacBradaigh   Mullach Odhrainn
4   Jason McLoughlin   Jason Mac Lochlainn   Gael Na Sionnaine
5   Feargal Flanagan   Fearghal Ó Flannagain   Droichead an Bhuitlearaigh
6   James McEnroe   Seamus Mac Conrua   Reamor Aontainthe
7   Mark McKeever   Marcus Mac Íomhair   Loch Gamhna
8   Gearoid McKiernan   Gearóid MacTiarnann   Muilleann Iarann
9   Damien O Reilly   Damien Ó Raghallaigh   Béal Tairbirt
10   Cian Mackey   Cian Ó Maca   Caisleán Rathain
11   Niall McDermott   Niall Mac Dhiarmada   Béal Átha na nEach
12   Martin Reilly   Mairtín  Ó Raghallaigh   Coill na Gearraí
13   Kevin Tierney   Caoimhín Mac Tiarnaigh   Beal átha hÉis
14   Martin Dunne   Martin Ó Doinn   Gael An Cabhán
15   David Givney   Dáithí Ó Dhuibhne   Droichead Uí Dhalaigh

Hopefully we'll have enough for Sligo.

rodney trotter

Fairly strong team.

Subs: Alan O'Mara, Damien Barkey, David Hyland, Ronan Flanagan, Packie Leddy, Declan McKiernan, Niall Murray, Turloc Mooney, Niall Smith, Philip Tinnelly, Christopher Conroy

Good options on the bench, like Flanagan, Mooney, Niall Murray, Tinnelly

Blue in hope

I am hearing we will be missing one of our named full forward line tomorrow due to injury

comeysfield

Denn Forever

WELCOME THE JUNGLE

A fight night tonight in The Imperial

GOWNA vs MULLAHORAN.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

comeysfield

Not a great idea in my mind

rodney trotter

1 Conor Gilsenan Conchur Mac Giolla Seanáin Seamróga Choill an Chollaigh
2 Joshua Hayes Joshua Ó hAodha An Muinchille
3 Rory Dunne Ruarí Ó Duinn Cnoc Rua
4 Feargal Flanagan Fearghal Ó Flannagain Droichead an Bhuitlearaigh
5 Mark McKeever Marcus Mac Íomhair Loch Gamhna
6 James McEnroe Seamus Mac Conrua Reamor Aontainthe
7 Damien O Reilly Damien Ó Raghallaigh Béal Tairbirt
8 Gearoid McKiernan Gearóid MacTiarnann Muilleann Iarann
9 Killian Brady Cillain MacBradaigh Mullach Odhrainn
10 Cian Mackey Cian Ó Maca Caisleán Rathain
11 Niall McDermott Niall Mac Dhiarmada Béal Átha na nEach
12 Martin Reilly Mairtín  Ó Raghallaigh Coill na Gearraí
13 Kevin Tierney Caoimhín Mac Tiarnaigh Beal átha hÉis
14 Martin Dunne Martin Ó Doinn Gael An Cabhán
15 Eugene Keating Eoghann Ó  Ciiteann Naomh Sylvesters

Good to see Keating back

mylestheslasher

I hope Tierney puts in a performance this week. He had a good pre-season but hasn't really been in any game since. Fair play to Terry for giving him every chance to come good and show the talent he undoubtedly has. Terry is good at that, he did the same with Niall McDermott who was quiet for a few games but popped up with 1-3 last day to beat Sligo. Keating back is a big bonus. Our record against Longford is very poor and the last time I saw us play them was in the back door game a few years ago which was, without doubt, the lowest point in Cavans recent history. Time to put this one to bed. We could do with getting these two points and take the pressure off the last 2 games.

Anyone think some of the U21's outside Clarke and Argue will feature for the seniors later in the year? That half back line of McVitty, Moynagh and Smith is really exciting looking.

Westside

Even when Tierney was the main man with the U21s he rarely tormented teams, he'd pull the odd stroke of brilliance and lash in a goal and knock over frees but I don't think he ever dominated a game like we've seen Gearoid or Jack Brady or McDermott do at that level. As long as he keeps working hard I think Terry will stick with him and he'll grow into a role in the team.

If we win tomorrow we're basically promoted. Only Limerick could trouble us then, if we win tomorrow and Limerick lose we're promoted. We've put ourselves in such a great position but it wouldn't be unlike Cavan to do things the hard way!!

It's hard to see any of the U21s out from Clarke and Argue making it onto the Cavan starting 15. There is probably room for a full forward line player on the bench if we managed to go on a run and one of the U21s starred up front but I don't think that's likely. McVitty will be involved and to be fair Gerry Smith is a very similar player but probably has more pace so who knows he could be involved, still has another year at U21 though.

rodney trotter

1 Roscommon 4 4 0 0 82 57 8
2 Cavan 4 4 0 0 57 35 8
3 Longford 4 2 2 0 57 60 4
4 Limerick 4 2 2 0 60 66 4
5 Sligo 4 2 2 0 56 62 4
6 Fermanagh 4 1 3 0 69 72 2
7 Wexford 4 1 3 0 51 61 2
8 Offaly 4 0 4 0 48 67 0

Longford would be back in the promotion race with a win tomorrow, will be tough game. Any win will do.

Westside

Longford still have to travel to Sligo and Limerick so it's far from easy for them even if they do beat us but we will be looking over our shoulder for sure. A win tomorrow will almost certainly send us up. Huge chance.

Westside

PROMOTION!! Fantastic stuff to be up with 2 games left.

So, what's for the rest of 2014? This was the main thing supporters wanted. To have achieved it with 5 straight victories was unexpected, I was certain there would be bumps in the road along the way. What would people consider an achievable goal for the rest of the season? For me beating Armagh, a good showing in the next round and getting a couple of wins in the qualifiers (dependant on the draw of course) would be a very successful 2014.