Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

I think we should be careful with the expectations for Gearoid. I would imagine it will be middle of the League before he even makes an appearance and then there's the return to full match fitness, sharpness and being mentally ready for throwing himself about again at that level to deal with.

rodney trotter

Keating back in action on new years day for Dublin stars against Dublin. Made a big impact since he joined sylvesters
Be interesting to see how Mickey Brady gets on with Ballymun next year,  in his first full year with them

Itchy

Anyone hear a rumour about another Cavan star moving to Sylvester's? I won't mention any names in case it not true.

tommysmith

Quote from: Itchy on December 30, 2013, 06:55:38 PM
Anyone hear a rumour about another Cavan star moving to Sylvester's? I won't mention any names in case it not true.

Pm me itchy.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Itchy on December 30, 2013, 06:55:38 PM

Sylvesters have a few country lads in addition to Keating I think. I understand there are some serious connections there to very senior staff levels at one of the banks and a bit of help can be given on the jobs hunting front. Given the way things are for lads coming out of college it would be easy enough to be tempted by an offer.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

rodney trotter

They wouldn't have an array of outsider players like other dub clubs, but still a few  ,beaten earlier this month in the league final by st brigids. Kenneth Sweeney, sligo co player, declan rooney,  down co player, john coughlan offaly county player would be a few of the outsiders. Good few playere would have played under age for Dublin,  dont think they have anyone on the senior panel though

mylestheslasher

Transfers out of the Cavan club game are not good for county in the long run, even if the players are getting exposure to higher levels in another county. With so many young lads in college in Dublin and elsewhere this is a danger that others follow suit. We need to see an increase in the standards within the club game, its the last piece of the puzzle.

Does anyone know what is the story with Barry Reilly of Kingscourt. A huge potential talent but not on the McKenna cup panel. Is he unable to commit, injured or just not being considered??

tommysmith

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 31, 2013, 12:44:00 PM
Transfers out of the Cavan club game are not good for county in the long run, even if the players are getting exposure to higher levels in another county. With so many young lads in college in Dublin and elsewhere this is a danger that others follow suit. We need to see an increase in the standards within the club game, its the last piece of the puzzle.

I agree and disagree with you there while we would all prefer to see them playing club football with Cavan Clubs its a hell of alot better than them playing club football in Melbourne or Boston.

rodney trotter

Barry Reilly was left off the panel so he could get niggling injuries cleared and get some regular club football.  I saw him a few times this year witj kingscourt and he was fairly average. He needs to get stronger too for senior county football, I remember when he came on against Fermangh in the league last year, he looked very lightweight on ryan mccluskey. And seemed to be pulling out of the physical stuff.

Sea The Stars

McKiernan was togged out for the game with Meath and did a lot of sprinting at half-time. He looked fairly fit to me.

I disagree with mylestheslasher Meath dominated the first half and should have been further than 5 ahead. The sending-off of Bray 5 minutes before half-time and the impact Martin Dunne had swung it for Cavan and in fairness they were comfortably the better team in the second half. Both teams look to be progressing well and both I would expect will challenge for promotion in the league.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Sea The Stars on December 31, 2013, 01:23:38 PM
McKiernan was togged out for the game with Meath and did a lot of sprinting at half-time. He looked fairly fit to me.

I disagree with mylestheslasher Meath dominated the first half and should have been further than 5 ahead. The sending-off of Bray 5 minutes before half-time and the impact Martin Dunne had swung it for Cavan and in fairness they were comfortably the better team in the second half. Both teams look to be progressing well and both I would expect will challenge for promotion in the league.

I missed the first 5 minutes as I was late but Meath may have been winning the midfield battle in the first half they continued to pump in long ball that our backs handled quite easily and we had the vast majority of possession in the 1st half, we just struggled to move the ball into our forwards against the wind and the fact that Meath had a lot of men back. As I said earlier Meath got a lucky goal and two fine points just after, they had very few chances up to that.
Dunne made a difference in scoring terms but it was Lyng who got more and more into the game and Dec McKiernan started breaking ball in the 2nd half. Granted Bray going off made a difference.
Meath are not my concern but they looked sluggish and unfit (maybe they had a training session the day before?), I don't think they will be challenging for Div 1 promotion and they will be doing well to stay in a very tough Div 2.

Gearoid was doing lots of straight line sprinting at half time but as you know with knee injuries its the turning and twisting that does the damage. I'd say he has a way to go yet but it is great to see him involved.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tommysmith on December 31, 2013, 12:51:11 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 31, 2013, 12:44:00 PM

I agree and disagree with you there while we would all prefer to see them playing club football with Cavan Clubs its a hell of alot better than them playing club football in Melbourne or Boston.

I see what you are saying but if the county board can do anything for these lads it would be a big help if somehow they can be helped to stay playing in the county. Obviously, emigration is the biggest potential danger in these times.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 31, 2013, 12:59:15 PM
Barry Reilly was left off the panel so he could get niggling injuries cleared and get some regular club football.  I saw him a few times this year witj kingscourt and he was fairly average. He needs to get stronger too for senior county football, I remember when he came on against Fermangh in the league last year, he looked very lightweight on ryan mccluskey. And seemed to be pulling out of the physical stuff.

You know that for a fact Rodney? I would have thought the best place for him to get fit was on the county panel. You are right about the Fermanagh game but he was coming back from a long injury then and I think it was a mistake to start him in that game. The week before he had come off the bench with 10 mins left and almost single handedly rescued a point against Sligo. Now if he is still injured then fair enough. If they are leaving him to club football its unlikely he will be involved this year so, given that he does need that strength and conditioning training.

rodney trotter

I don't think there is much the county board can do if there isn't work available in Cavan in what they studied in college. Mortimer was unemployed for 6 months back in mayo, when he got work through Parnells, running a gym.

Saying that mullagh is less then an hour from dublin, keating could have still played club football in cavan, but when it was sylvesters that got him work, he was obviously going to play for them

rodney trotter

Yeah I read that re, barry reilly in the Celt.