Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

A Conor Moynagh, mcveety and Ger smith half back line sounds exciting. Argue and Clarke midfield also is strong. Do we have the forwards to do the damage. Madden is powerful but I think we need Nevin back 100% fit as he has a bit of class. How good is Tom Hayes?

cavanforever

James Galligan, Conor Finnegan, Kevin Mulvaney and Shane Kelly didnt make the panel. Surprising as all were involved last year

rodney trotter

Conor had some injuries this year, still a surprise, thought Galligan would have been involved,

Would like to see McVeety play further forward in his best position of half forward where he normally plays for his club. Done well all the same at half back this year.

Westside

You reckon Clake will go to Midfield? I think Clarke should be left at full back and Sankey left at midfield or Greg McGovern possibly to pair up with Argue. At Minor Level it was Andy Graham and Conor Finnegan in the full forward line with Bouchier roaming. I don't think Graham is combative enough at this level to earn a starting place and Finnegan hasn't got a look in since Minor. I reckon Tom Hayes has what it takes to step straight into the team. The few times I have seen him he's been top class. Not convinced by O'Donnell, he had a decent game in the 2012 Ulster Final which was his first start that year but was awful against Roscommon and hasn't featured since because of injuries. What about Cian McEnroe?

Long way to go until the Championship starts though and I'm sure many players will improve and regress in that time. Look at McVeety, went from being unable to gain a starting position on the 2011 Minor team to a Senior player in 2013.

Anyone willing to put their neck out and name a team or are we getting ahead of ourselves!?

Itchy

Clarke is too good an athlete to leave at full back. I'd put Sankey there. It is probably too early to name a team but I think I could make a stab from backs to midfield. Its the forwards I'm not so sure about.

Westside

You could be right.. It's a tough call to make but looking back at last year's Championship Clarke was such a presence in the full back line when the going got tough at both Senior and U21 I think it would be a shame to take him out of there. Especially when 2 of Argue, McGovern and Sankey are capable of forming a competitive midfield.

In the forwards I reckon Dillon, Boucher, Paul Graham, Hayes, Madden an an other could be a decent forward line. It's likely Peter will stick to the same philosophy of patient play controlling the tempo of the game. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ben Kiernan get a spot based on that notion.

Haven't seen Niall Walsh play in a while how has he been getting on at club level?

cavanforever

Enda Flanagan could be an option for corner forward. Made the panel also

rodney trotter

Quote from: Westside on October 28, 2013, 07:52:56 PM
You reckon Clake will go to Midfield? I think Clarke should be left at full back and Sankey left at midfield or Greg McGovern possibly to pair up with Argue. At Minor Level it was Andy Graham and Conor Finnegan in the full forward line with Bouchier roaming. I don't think Graham is combative enough at this level to earn a starting place and Finnegan hasn't got a look in since Minor. I reckon Tom Hayes has what it takes to step straight into the team. The few times I have seen him he's been top class. Not convinced by O'Donnell, he had a decent game in the 2012 Ulster Final which was his first start that year but was awful against Roscommon and hasn't featured since because of injuries. What about Cian McEnroe?

Long way to go until the Championship starts though and I'm sure many players will improve and regress in that time. Look at McVeety, went from being unable to gain a starting position on the 2011 Minor team to a Senior player in 2013.
Anyone willing to put their neck out and name a team or are we getting ahead of ourselves!?

Dara started the final against Armagh, scored 3pts from wing back in the Semi against Tyrone, was it the Antrim game he didn't start? Fairly sure he started against Galway in the All Ireland Quarter final that year too

Westside

He didn't start the Antrim game.. Don't know why it was in my head that he didn't start the Armagh game! I thought he came on as a sub, I remember him fisting over a point after a save from a Finnegan goal chance. I stand corrected.

How did Conor Smith play for Killeshandra play this year?

rodney trotter

He started every game bar the first game against Antrim due to Injury asaik..

Cian McEnroe should have a place on the u21 team either midfield or half forward. He was excellent in the few games I saw him involved in this year,

Itchy

Conor Smith is an excellent player, if he commits to it 100% as every player must do then he will make the team.

packiedevlin

Conor Smith has been quite consistent this year but Id also wonder on his commitment. He got a bit of a roasting against young Clerkin in the first half of the intermediate final but was better in the second half when moved off him.

mylestheslasher

Is Billy O Mara playing any ball anywhere at the moment?

rodney trotter

James Farrelly will be more then likely be the No 1 Goalie. Been on the panel for the past 2 years, and starts with DCU.

Fergal Reilly - Castlerahan will be close to that team, very tight marker.

Westside

Tom Hayes scored 3 Goals in an Ulster Colleges game today I see.

I assume the Black Card will be in force for the U21 Championship? If so our apparent strength in depth and the big panel we keep could be a real advantage.