Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

Seanie's back, take it away lads
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

rodney trotter

He was back last week. Decent first half last night but was largely anonymous in the second half. His point was a gem in the first half. Few bizzare calls by the ref. Declan Meehan was very impressive when he came on, only back from suspension.

Itchy

Martin Dunne still the main score getter. Time has moved on for SJ, he might discover the world doesn't revolve around him any more.

Itchy

Shercock shock Cootehill. Good game. Killeshandra 8 to 1 up on Drung but Drung just got a goal against run of play to get back into it.

tommysmith

Was at the Gaels game on Friday evening and the two Intermediate games yesterday evening.

I think the Gaels will win the Senior now they have a very strong bench which made the difference the other night although if Mullahoran had of taken one of the half chances they had at goals they could have won it.  Very hard hitting game and was worth the entrance fee.

I was shocked by Cootehill in the Intermediate Semi Final.  That was the first time that I had seen them this year and it looks like they have gone away back from where they were last year.  Shercock were value for the win playing with a man down for the entire second half with Killan Clarke having a good game.

In the Quarter final replay Killeshandra got out of the blocks really quick and led by 7 points after 15 minutes and then went to sleep and let Drung back into it and only led by a point at half time. Drung started well in second half and went ahead but went for goals when they should have really being going for points let Killeshandra off the hook . Tomas Reilly started to influence the game and Killeshandra went on to win by 4.

Have not seen Ballyhaise play this year but you would expect them to win beat Killeshandra as they are playing a division higher but Shercock showed that doesn't matter.

Who ever wins will have there hands full with Shercock who are not that good a team but work hard and in Killian Clarke have a really good player.

Edit: Would have liked to have gone to Ballinagh and Lacken game but the County Board decided that it would cost anyone who wanted to do this and watch the other two games €20 so i gave it a miss.  Of course i could have hung around for an hour but that's a bit to much.

rodney trotter

Great chance for either Ballinagh - Crosserlough to make a final. Lacken with all the injuries and having played 6 championships games in consecutive weeks found it tough yesterday against d nagh. Ballinagh were a lot fresher. Kevin Smith was very good at half forward. No love lost between Ballinagh and Crosserlough being neighbours, so would expect it to be a hard hitting game.

Castlerahan won't fear the Gaels in the other Semi. Gaels are beginning to click, but Castlerahan are hard to break down and Mackey is in great form. Should be a good game as well.

nothingbettertobeat

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 22, 2013, 09:45:35 AM
Great chance for either Ballinagh - Crosserlough to make a final. Lacken with all the injuries and having played 6 championships games in consecutive weeks found it tough yesterday against d nagh. Ballinagh were a lot fresher. Kevin Smith was very good at half forward. No love lost between Ballinagh and Crosserlough being neighbours. So would expect it to be a hard hitting game.

Castlerahan won't fear the Gaels in the other Semi. Gaels are beginning to click, but Castlerahan are hard to break down and Mackey is in great form. Should be a good game as well.

rodney trotter im gonna shoot you if i get my hands on you!! u and your Ramor7-2. stuck them in with ballinderry13-8, Dublin seniors 13-8 Mayo minors 8-15 and Monaghan ladies 15-8 for 20 quid.lol im praying cork ladies or ballinascreen beat one of the other.
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't."

rodney trotter

Ha, they were a great price. But didn't live up to expectation against Castlerahan.

mylestheslasher

Good luck to the Leaguers this evening in the Intermediate semi against Ballyhaise. Take it easy on us ballyhaiseman! Also all the best to the Cavan Ladies on Sunday in the AI final. They dont get enough discussion on here sadly but they deserve great credit and having watched the two semi finals I think  they have the better team and if they play to their potential they will win.

Westside

I really expect the ladies to finish the job tomorrow. To my eye they have more class and more pace than Tipp. Players like Aisling Doonan and Bronagh Sheridan have been fantastic servants to Cavan Football it would be great to see them get their reward tomorrow. The Cup is named after our full back's Grandmother so it's only fitting we should take it home this time!

Going to take a trip to Killeshandra later to see Southern Gaels v Templeport. Great day for it hopefully it's a good game.

gortnaleck

Westside, could ya please post a bit of a report on Tport
Game.Heard they won and would like some details. Can Ramor play
In Ulster Club if they win the Final

Westside

Templeport 3-15 Southern Gaels 1-14. Fantastic game of football. Templeport were the better side and led from 5 minutes in when Eoin Doonan slotted home.

Templeport went 8 ahead but credit to Southern Gaels they fought back and some clinical free taking kept them in touch and they hit a purple patch towards the last 5 minutes of the first half and went in just 2 points down at half time. Templeport started the brighter in the second half and tagged on a few points before Dillon Raythorne finished off a sweeping move for Templeport with a beauty of a goal, slotted it in the top corner.

Southern Gaels fought back and a long ball in caught out the Templeport full back and Southern Gaels got a goal to keep them in touch. They could have had another one but for an almost impossible save from Darren Donohoe. The game got messy from there as Templeport slowed things down. Templeport got a goal with the last kick of the game, they were the better side but the 7 point win flattered them somewhat.

As for players who stood out: Darren Donohoe had a fantastic game in goals for TP. His kick outs in the first half really gave Templeport the edge, picking out runs from midfielders, Cluxtonesque! One outstanding save at a crucial time and dealt with everything that was dropped in near him.
Up front I thought Eoin Doonan was outstanding. He hit 2 goals and a few points and won almost every ball that came his way. His point from the right wing in the second half was the score of the game. He did the simple things right and got his rewards. Between those 2 for Man of the Match.

Other than that Dillon Raythorne (Man of the match in the U16 Final on Monday night) was very good, and the McGoldricks in the corner back positions were good. The Southern Gales Number 9 and full forward were very good, as was their number 2.

Templeport look fantastic going forward but look a bit leaky in defence, giving away needless frees and leaving a lot of open space when they were 8 points up. First West Cavan Minor side to contest a Division 1 Final. Ramor have been the better of the two in the last few years and I don't think TP have beaten them since the U16 Div 1 League Final 2 years ago.

Ramor aren't an amalgamation so there would be no problem with them representing Cavan and as far as I'm aware even if they were an amalgamation they could still go on to represent us. O'Raghallaigh Gaels did so a few years ago.

gortnaleck

Thanks very much,interesting that there's no mention of Galligan or Kiernan

Westside

Both worthy of mention (along with Ben Kelly) but I always expect great things from them so I decided to mention the more unsung heroes! Kiernan is a wonderful footballer and had a great game in truth, scored some fantastic points but the most impressive thing about him is his composure on the ball. So so reliable and the man you want to have possession when the game is in the melting pot. Galligan made one of the goals with a turnover, burst of pace and a perfectly timed pass.

Itchy

Well done to the Cavan ladies. Cavan has an all Ireland winning team!