Jason
Johnston
Eddie R
Mackey
Danny Brady
Finbar Reilly
Sean Brady
Ray Cullivan

are all better from what I've seen of Gallagher in a Cavan jersey. Pluse a good few more I would say.

QuoteAs for calling him fat and useless - well people are entitled to their opinions, but he has a proven track record in the ulster championship, and has proven himself in Dublin club league and championship - and its not as if Cavan have too many supreme scoring forwards in their ranks, or even players that would be better than Rory.

Obv in my opinion, but I cant apologise for thinking your opinion on this,  is old school bog warrior outsider hater type of stuff.

Who called him fat? Handy little piece of fiction to aid your argument there Lynchbhoy...

He wasn't liekd because, in the words of one Cavan legend of the 90s, "Gallagher played with wing mirrors"! Funny but true. This isn't "bog warrior outside hating" - I remeber we had a fella from Cork called Paul murphy and he was very popular beacuse his heart was in it. Meath man Mickey Brennan ditto.

It's because he was slow, never put in a hit (the throught of him hiting hard provokes a smile) and then abandoned club and county.

This "phantom job" thing - are you saying you condone that? That a player with absolutely no ties (eg work or residence) with a county should transfer to them? Personally, I am against any sort of inter county transfer system. You obviously are in favour of it.

Look, you obviously know Gallagher just as we all know county players. He may be a sound chap, but he was terrible in a Cavan jersey and pulled a dirty stroke at the end, whether or not the county board or management was complicit. FACT!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hollow Man on July 26, 2007, 01:54:00 PM
are all better from what I've seen of Gallagher in a Cavan jersey. Pluse a good few more I would say.

QuoteAs for calling him fat and useless - well people are entitled to their opinions, but he has a proven track record in the ulster championship, and has proven himself in Dublin club league and championship - and its not as if Cavan have too many supreme scoring forwards in their ranks, or even players that would be better than Rory.

Obv in my opinion, but I cant apologise for thinking your opinion on this,  is old school bog warrior outsider hater type of stuff.

Who called him fat? Handy little piece of fiction to aid your argument there Lynchbhoy...

He wasn't liekd because, in the words of one Cavan legend of the 90s, "Gallagher played with wing mirrors"! Funny but true. This isn't "bog warrior outside hating" - I remeber we had a fella from Cork called Paul murphy and he was very popular beacuse his heart was in it. Meath man Mickey Brennan ditto.

It's because he was slow, never put in a hit (the throught of him hiting hard provokes a smile) and then abandoned club and county.

This "phantom job" thing - are you saying you condone that? That a player with absolutely no ties (eg work or residence) with a county should transfer to them? Personally, I am against any sort of inter county transfer system. You obviously are in favour of it.

Look, you obviously know Gallagher just as we all know county players. He may be a sound chap, but he was terrible in a Cavan jersey and pulled a dirty stroke at the end, whether or not the county board or management was complicit. FACT!
I would be somewhat of a Cavan fan (for a good few years now - long before I married a cavan girl) so I would like to see them do well.
I can understand what you all say and think about Gallagher, but he is still quite young, so whatever pace he had - he still should have (point being pace is not or never was part of his game) - his track record as a scorer esp in the ulster championship speaks for itself.
I think that as a scoring forward I would not rate more than possibly one of the players mentioned above Gallagher (Larry too a few years back).
Sure Mad Eddie isnt even on the squad (and I wont start on again about Gaynor).
Its obv my opinion.
what I will suggest is that players that transfer rarely prosper. For every Larry tomkins, there are a hundred ray cunninghhams/Rory Gallaghers etc.

The guy did not play up to the high standard he is capable of - I will agree to that
but as he has played v well already with St Brigids - then it is down to two things - did he want it bad enough and secondly did he get the kind of help/backup/support/service from his new team mates.

I dont know him well, but think cavan players (and supporters) didnt do what it took to get the best out of this guy.
He certainly was VERY keen on playing for Cavan when he enthusiastically told me about the whole venture a few months back.
If you cavan folk are happy to see the back of him then thats life.
That will be St Brigids gain.
Another thing - its Castleknock that the club is based , which is a bit of another mistruth quoted in the paper (Celt?)
The first lie - was keoghans not knowing of it all a few months before this took place.

Best of luck in the championship to Ballinagh and Mullahoran

Homer

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 26, 2007, 02:30:12 PM
what I will suggest is that players that transfer rarely prosper. For every Larry tomkins, there are a hundred ray cunninghhams...

The same Raymond Cunningham that kicked that all important point [sic] against Derry in 97  ;)

Best of luck in the championship to Ballinagh and Mullahoran

Cheers Lynchbhoy  :)

Hollow Man

Raymond Cunningham lived in Kingscourt, inside the Cavan county boundary, but in Kilmainhamwood parish funnily enough.

Sure the fella had about ten All Ireland handball medals representing Kingscourt Handball Club and Cavan before he even switched to the Stars for football.

Gallagher ws slow as hell, in terms of running for the ball and his decision making. How many times did Pierson or Jayo make a run expecting a McCabe style delivery only for Gallagher to hang on to it, soloing around in the same spot?

Who called Gallagher fat Lynchbhoy?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hollow Man on July 26, 2007, 02:47:53 PM
Who called Gallagher fat Lynchbhoy?
jeezuz
since you are honing in on this one, then its not from the board, its from a discussion i had with a cavan friend of mine.
The usual - lazy/useless/slow/afraid/not wanting to put it in/ not wanting to bend for the ball kind or tripe was punctuated by him being 'Fat' as well !
But the list of negative attributes comeing from cavan folk about him is growing rapidly

so its not you who i was quoting, though your focus on this one point/comment/aspect is quite bemusing  ???

Hollow Man

Gallaghers shite, I win the argument, good night! ;)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hollow Man on July 26, 2007, 02:58:40 PM
good enough if thats what you think
the shitiest player ever to score 3-9 in the ulster championship....(sure its easy done and no doubt any one or all of those aforementioned Cavan hot shots will soon emulate this easy feat)

::)

btw such debates/discussions are not about 'winning'...its a long time since I left primary (hedge) school

cavan4ever

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 26, 2007, 03:09:23 PM
the shitiest player ever to score 3-9 in the ulster championship....(sure its easy done and no doubt any one or all of those aforementioned Cavan hot shots will soon emulate this easy feat)

btw such debates/discussions are not about 'winning'...its a long time since I left primary (hedge) school

He wasn't interested for whatever reason lynchboy, you seem to know him so if you seem him soon ask him how come it didn't work out for him.  I wouldn't go as far to say that he is crap he has proved himself before but in the cavan jersey he looked like a fellow that didn't want to be there.

Maximus Marillius

Quotebut in the cavan jersey he looked like a fellow that didn't want to be there.

Reminds me of a number of Cavan players who are from cavan who looked like they did not want to be there...judging by their performances

cavan4ever

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on July 26, 2007, 03:27:35 PM
Quotebut in the cavan jersey he looked like a fellow that didn't want to be there.

Reminds me of a number of Cavan players who are from cavan who looked like they did not want to be there...judging by their performances

They didn't go to the trouble of transfering clubs and making up jobs to play for the county though. 

Hollow Man

Jeez Louise. Take it easy Lynchbhoy, it was a joke, you know, a "ha ha", a funny... as indicated by the -->  ;)

Gallagher scored 3-9 (including two penalties, that never gets mentioned) for Fermanagh six years ago I think, I was at it. For whatever reason, he can't do it anymore at county level.

He played 10 games for Cavan and was ordinary in every one. In some of them (crunch league matches I'm thinking of eg Sligo, Wexford, Roscommon) he barely even got a kick.

Surely in ten matches, he'd do something of note?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 26, 2007, 03:19:03 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 26, 2007, 03:09:23 PM

He wasn't interested for whatever reason lynchboy, you seem to know him so if you seem him soon ask him how come it didn't work out for him.  I wouldn't go as far to say that he is crap he has proved himself before but in the cavan jersey he looked like a fellow that didn't want to be there.
wont or cannot disagree (not that I am looking to do so).
I would say the underlying problem is in the 'integration'
This is a two way thing so I would say that both parties will not be blameless...

no prob HM - was trying (misreably it seems) inject some humour in that post. Shows that a boring hoor like me cant be funny.

I'd ask the same question about the rest of the Cavan forwards though....
Not too many apart from maybe the second half of the drawn Down game - can say they looked good. (loads of effort is great but is still the square root of fcuk all)
But I did not see Cavan play much this year so my comments can only be on RG and what he is capable of.

IMO - transferring to another county (and club) generally never works.

cavanmaniac

Maybe Rory will prosper elsewhere and live up to his reputation but he has done nothing but sully it in the last six months, both on and off the field.

This guy was always one that was mentioned as a 'problem player' and a negative influence in the Fermanagh dressing room. Touch of the primadonnas about him and there was one particularly scurrilous rumour about him, before leaving Ernemen the first time, that I wouldn't even mention here, even though my source is quite good. It's noticeable how the team did much better than heretofore under Dom Corrigan(?) the year Rory left. Players nor managers wanted him, all were glad to be shut of him. With the passing of time maybe those feelings have dimmed and some want him back but he's not being given a continued wide berth for no reason.

He has done okay - just okay Dubs tell me - in the SFC in the capital. He was linked with the Dublin panel at one stage remember, until Tommy Lyons blew it out of the water even if Gallagher himself wasn't quoted, which is the norm. Then he arrived in Cavan and despite some grumblings the majority were very willing to give him a chance. He got ample gametime in the blue shirt but singularly and utterly failed to impress and this cannot be down to integration problems alone.
Not having the balls to shoot from 14 yards dead in front of goal, or pulling out of tackles, has nothing to do with not being made feel welcome if indeed that was ever the case. Not turning up for training is hardly a sound way of integrating oneself with a new group in any case, but the best way of all to get over any barriers there might have been was to get out and do the business on the pitch, which he simply and abjectly failed to do.
The mercenary whiff about his leavetaking is entirely in keeping with the reputation he has in Fermanagh and frankly, bad though we are, we have alot of forwards in the county way better than this chap who's afraid to shoot and brings nothing to the team.

I'm sure he's an okay sort of fella lynchbhoy but his intercounty days would appear to be behind him.

ExiledGael

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 26, 2007, 06:06:31 PM
Maybe Rory will prosper elsewhere and live up to his reputation but he has done nothing but sully it in the last six months, both on and off the field.

This guy was always one that was mentioned as a 'problem player' and a negative influence in the Fermanagh dressing room. Touch of the primadonnas about him and there was one particularly scurrilous rumour about him, before leaving Ernemen the first time, that I wouldn't even mention here, even though my source is quite good. It's noticeable how the team did much better than heretofore under Dom Corrigan(?) the year Rory left. Players nor managers wanted him, all were glad to be shut of him. With the passing of time maybe those feelings have dimmed and some want him back but he's not being given a continued wide berth for no reason.

He has done okay - just okay Dubs tell me - in the SFC in the capital. He was linked with the Dublin panel at one stage remember, until Tommy Lyons blew it out of the water even if Gallagher himself wasn't quoted, which is the norm. Then he arrived in Cavan and despite some grumblings the majority were very willing to give him a chance. He got ample gametime in the blue shirt but singularly and utterly failed to impress and this cannot be down to integration problems alone.
Not having the balls to shoot from 14 yards dead in front of goal, or pulling out of tackles, has nothing to do with not being made feel welcome if indeed that was ever the case. Not turning up for training is hardly a sound way of integrating oneself with a new group in any case, but the best way of all to get over any barriers there might have been was to get out and do the business on the pitch, which he simply and abjectly failed to do.
The mercenary whiff about his leavetaking is entirely in keeping with the reputation he has in Fermanagh and frankly, bad though we are, we have alot of forwards in the county way better than this chap who's afraid to shoot and brings nothing to the team.

I'm sure he's an okay sort of fella lynchbhoy but his intercounty days would appear to be behind him.

Simple rule, when Rory Gallagher leaves your squad/team you're better off.
Some of the things he has done over the years are a disgrace to the teams he's played on, and I've witnessed some of these
Great talent with the ball in his day, though always cowardly. His 3-9 against Monaghan was absolutely hilarious as I was on the hill among a group of Farney friends, but he has a terrible attitude
Bad bad news, end of story!

inisceithleann

Quote from: ExiledGael on July 26, 2007, 07:05:48 PM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 26, 2007, 06:06:31 PM

Simple rule, when Rory Gallagher leaves your squad/team you're better off.
Some of the things he has done over the years are a disgrace to the teams he's played on, and I've witnessed some of these
Great talent with the ball in his day, though always cowardly. His 3-9 against Monaghan was absolutely hilarious as I was on the hill among a group of Farney friends, but he has a terrible attitude
Bad bad news, end of story!

Fermanagh a better team without gallagher? it's possible but based on what evidence. Aparts from the great run in 2004 fermanagh have faltered the last 2 years and our main problem has been in the forwards. Don't get me wrong i'm not rory's biggest fan but a county as small as fermanagh cannot do without a player of gallaghers ability. if he can sort out his attitude and become a real team player i'd be delighted to have him back. the chances are, if the new fermanagh manager comes from within the county and knows rory personally he'll be asked back, especially if the senior players on the fermanagh panel want it.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth