Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

I wasn't impressed with Kerry in the munster final but they are still a class team that have been at the top for a long time. If they come out on top of their game we will not win. However, I think they will under estimate us and if we can get a foothold in the game and keep it tight then who knows. Most important thing is that the lads learn from the experience.

gortnaleck

I think it's the best draw we could have got. I didn't say the easiest now,but who
wants to see them playing Monaghan again, the Dubs are scary and Mayo are a very confident team
who could give you a good beating. Terry seems to always have them in th right frame
of mind so I'm looking forward to them giving it a good lash on Sunday. I would like them to
leave Donaghy on the bench again. They didn't give away as many frees
either against London which was good and I'm expecting a fresher Cavan team
next weekend.Either way they've given us a great year

rodney trotter

Would agree about not playing Monaghan again, the hype and everything else that went with the last game.
I think if Cavan had of got those couple of early goals yesterday through Mackey and Jack Brady. The game would have been over, and they afforded to take a few lads off at half time.

Kerry have lads like Tomas O Se who is 35, O Mahony, Galvin. Hardly youngsters but lots of experience. Hopefully they will take Cavan for granted. They still have a good bench, with Sheehan, David Moran, Donaghy if he doesn't start.

anglocelt39

Quote from: tommysmith on July 28, 2013, 08:10:51 PM
I would be fearful enough of what might happen next Sunday.

Whats the feeling with you guys?

Not sure until I get the inside story from yourself Tommy ;D
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

Delighted to avoid Monaghan and Dublin. We're going in under the radar, nobody is taking us in the slightest bit seriously and now, doubly so, given that we didn't put London away until quite late. Perfect way to be going into an All-Ireland quarter-final, all the pressure is on the opposition and so we will have a really quiet buildup.

I think we will give Kerry a game. Nobody beats Cavan by too much and if it's tight going into the last few minutes, would Cavan's fresher legs win out over Kerry's experience?  :P

To be honest I am not going to waste too much time analysing it in my head beforehand, this is bonus territory now and we have already put a huge building block in place for 2014 and 2015 so I am basically just looking forward to a day out in the big house free of pressure and expectation. Hopefully we get a tight game and a performance that sends us into the next season with enhanced credentials and another wee step taken on the road.

Anything more than that and I'll stage dive off the top deck of the Hogan and marry Susan Boyle.

tommysmith

SECTION INFORMATION
Lower Cusack | SOLD OUT
Lower Hogan | On Sale, Limited availability
Lower Davin | ON SALE
Upper Cusack | ON SALE
Upper Hogan |Stand-by, Only Open If Necessary
Upper Davin | Stand-by, Only Open If Necessary
Hill 16 | Will not open
Nally Terrace | Will not open

mylestheslasher

My first chance to make my opinion known on the London game. We looked good at the start, controlled and knocking over the scores but then I think complacency snuck in and we started believing our own hype. We got casual and sloppy and when London got themselves back into the game we struggled to get back up the gears again. Tired legs were also evident and tired minds maybe too. Credit to London as they had a good system in place and if it werent for O Mearas excellent kick outs we would have been behind at half time. I expected an improvement after terry got them in the dressing room but instead it was more of the same for 10 minutes, indeed we had a few tight escapes. Eventually we got a few scores with Givney exerting som influence and when the fresh speedy legs of Mcvitty were added then the pendulum firmly swung in our favour. What a old head on young shoulders mcVitty has. Still the save from o Meara and then resulting goal from the counter attack shows just how tight the margins for success are.

Saying all that I have to say in terms of the Kerry game the game couldn't have went much better. We  looked poor and Kerry, well they are Kerry. No one expects us to even contest and I bet there will be lots of motivational feed for the players in the media this week. Hopefully some Kerry great or the other comes out and makes some disrespectful statement.

So next day in our favour is the fact we have no pressure/expectations, we are battle hardened, Kerry have barely played a game this year yet and looked fairly ordinary (by their standards) against Cork for long periods. However against us is team full of all stars, vast experience and over familiar with winning at Croke park. They have been hiding in the long grass. I just hope they take us for granted.

To win the game I think we need to return to the tactic we used against Armagh. We have opened up a little in the Derry and London games, now is the time to shut up shop a little. We may need to look at an extra defender instead of a forward. We need to start well and try and get a few scores ahead and fight hard for every scrap. We need to get our match ups right. Gooch will most likely be on the 40. Sheehan will almost certainly start for the frees as they will have seen we concede a fair few and this man will knock them over from 50 meters. We must be disciplined in the tackle.

Lets hope the lads give the best account of themselves that they can and it just may be enough for a huge shock.

Itchy

Some w**ker in the indo called David Kelly wrote this, the inspiration you are talking about Myles?

Clearly, to have any chance of beating Kerry, Cavan would probably need the fixture to be restaged in New York after inveigling Gooch and Co to decamp to a few Manhattan nightspots en route.

rodney trotter

Wouldn't care what anyone says in the Indo, they are just going on by what they saw in Croker Saturday. Cavan were playing a Divison 4 team and were probably brought down to that level with the errors they were making. Complacency was a factor too.
The game should have been over after ten minutes, 6-1 up and 2 missed goal chances.

Cavan didn't help things by not being more direct at times, similar to the U-21's against Cork.

armaghniac

QuoteTo win the game I think we need to return to the tactic we used against Armagh. We have opened up a little in the Derry and London games, now is the time to shut up shop a little. We may need to look at an extra defender instead of a forward. We need to start well and try and get a few scores ahead and fight hard for every scrap. We need to get our match ups right. Gooch will most likely be on the 40. Sheehan will almost certainly start for the frees as they will have seen we concede a fair few and this man will knock them over from 50 meters. We must be disciplined in the tackle.

Cavan's best chance is to keep the score down and wtay within sight of Kerry and then push up near the end of the game. Kerry wilted a bit against Cork near then end and Cavan have nothing to lose going for it in the last 10 minutes.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tierworker blue

The Hill isn't open on Sunday?! Ah feck...we'd have packed it, and I was getting all nostalgic about experiencing that '97 feeling all over again!  :'(

Itchy

tierworker blue

Quote from: Itchy on July 30, 2013, 09:07:58 AM
Hill tickets on sale now on gaa.ie.

Cheers pal...6 Hill tickets in the back pocket now, and more to follow! There was confusion as to whether it was open or not (I was even told they 'weren't sure' on the official gaa ticket line this morning!) and lots of people still don't know the story! The left hand often doesn't know what the right hand is doing, eh?!  :o

Swadman

Quote from: tierworker blue on July 30, 2013, 09:46:53 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 30, 2013, 09:07:58 AM
Hill tickets on sale now on gaa.ie.

The last time Cavan played 2 championship games in the one year in Croker was 1969
I was there in my short trousers. It pissed rain, we drew with Offaly, they won the replay with the great Tony McTaigue and Kerry bet them in the final.
But I mostly remember standing in the Canal End (Davin now) and hardly being able to see through crowds and the rain washing the colour out of my cap and down my face.
Gosuns now will have better memories, although its amazing how many times over the lean years I have recalled that day.

tommysmith

This is something like players who will start on Sunday IMO

1. Alan O'Mara
2. Jason McLaughlin
3. Rory Dunne
4. Killian Clarke
5. James McEnroe
6. Alan Clarke
7. Ronan Flanagan
8. Tomas Corr/Damien O'Reilly
9. David Givney
10. Cian Mackey