Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 23, 2007, 04:50:10 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 23, 2007, 04:46:56 PM
in fairness Packie Smith is one of the better ones in my opinion Myles,
always found him to be very fair.

He does play for a draw whenever he can though

all referees do c4ever,  :o

id question whether they are encouraged to do so by County Board officials who want extra money they would garner from Replays.

cavan4ever

nope these are in league games aswell he players for a draw more than any other ref i know.

while talking about ref's anyone know the procedure if a person enters the field(not a player or sub) and kicks a player on the ground and punches another on the jaw. 

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 23, 2007, 04:55:13 PM
nope these are in league games aswell he players for a draw more than any other ref i know.

while talking about ref's anyone know the procedure if a person enters the field(not a player or sub) and kicks a player on the ground and punches another on the jaw. 

That person is fair game to get the living shit kicked out of him then!!!

oh you mean by rules,

I would say that the identity of that person would have to be noted,and sent to the Garda,because it is surely assault.dont know what a referee can do other than insist the person is removed from the ground before recommencing play.

The Assailant would then be banned from all GAA grounds for a period of time id say.

Happen over the weekend C4ever?

not asking for names of course,just basic details.

cavan4ever

yep happenend against ballymachugh .  One of there lads was getting a bit of a clipping near the touchline which he deserved and his daddy decided to get involved.  Referee seen all and just stood watching with his hands behind his back and when all calmed down just threw the ball up.  Very biased referee who was looking for revenge for us kicking them off the field in Bunnoe 15 years ago when he was playing. 

BallyhaiseMan

well if the referee is as big a **** as you say,
Then no danger in it being reported, and that tr**p who done the assault may get away free.
Unless Drung want to take it to the county board themselves.
Suprised none of ye Drung lads didnt give yer man a good clipping,
Drung were never afraid to stand back when the going got tough  ;)

mylestheslasher

Probably will get a meaningless 12 month ban or something - assuming the ref bothered to get his name and report it. I seen a guy once get a 12 month ban for stamping on a guys head in a match and a few weaks later he was managing a minor team, didn't like a decision by the ref and walked onto the pitch to have words with him. Nothing said about it at all. In fairness, anyone coming out of the stand to strike a player should be banned from all GAA grounds for life IMO.

As for Packie - well they certainly love him in Cornafaen anyhow!

shotstopper1

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 23, 2007, 04:28:49 PM

i believe that puts us 3 points ahead of Kingscourt and Drumlane with 3 games left.

Ye are also a point ahead of Lacken and level on points with Belturbet.

As for refs, when a player makes a mistake he has 14 other players to hide behind or when a manager makes the mistake he has the selectors as a buffer,but mostly their excuse is to blame the ref.When the ref fcuks up he's out there in the middle on his own and has to be strong enough to take all the criticism and abuse.I for one wouldn't like the job and I say fair play to the lads that do it.Refs need to concentrate for 60 mins + of the game and have eyes in the back of their heads because as we all know there's not much use relying on umpires or linesmen from either team who are well educated in giving even the 30/70 decisions to their team.Definitely there's times you'd feel like thumping them (or worse) but at the end of the day no ref no game, no matter how bad he is.

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 23, 2007, 05:08:41 PM

He didn't bother.. 

Quote from: shotstopper1 on July 23, 2007, 05:09:41 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 23, 2007, 04:28:49 PM

i believe that puts us 3 points ahead of Kingscourt and Drumlane with 3 games left.

As for refs, when a player makes a mistake he has 14 other players to hide behind or when a manager makes the mistake he has the selectors as a buffer,but mostly their excuse is to blame the ref.When the ref fcuks up he's out there in the middle on his own and has to be strong enough to take all the criticism and abuse.I for one wouldn't like the job and I say fair play to the lads that do it.Refs need to concentrate for 60 mins + of the game and have eyes in the back of their heads because as we all know there's not much use relying on umpires or linesmen from either team who are well educated in giving even the 30/70 decisions to their team.Definitely there's times you'd feel like thumping them (or worse) but at the end of the day no ref no game, no matter how bad he is.

Well if they don't up there standards there won't be to many young lads playing the game because someone could have got a serious injury the other evening, it was more like Aussie rules with all the fighting going on and throw-ups.

BallyhaiseMan

its probably not logistically posible, but neutral umpires and Linesmen are in place for championship games,could this not be extended to league games?

Shotstopper
you're correct, i for one wouldnt want to be a referee,the abuse they take is unreal.

cavan4ever

On a better note im looking forward to the Championship this weekend .  Redhills and Cootehill should be entertainng enough and ourselves and drumlane friday evening then.  Drumlane should win because we have to many injuries but hopefully we can push them the whole way and maybe get something out of it.

shotstopper1

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 23, 2007, 05:03:56 PM
yep happenend against ballymachugh .  One of there lads was getting a bit of a clipping near the touchline which he deserved and his daddy decided to get involved.  Referee seen all and just stood watching with his hands behind his back and when all calmed down just threw the ball up.  Very biased referee who was looking for revenge for us kicking them off the field in Bunnoe 15 years ago when he was playing. 

Believe the man in question(The Daddy) has a track record of assaulting players as far back as when he played himself.I'd say he retired a few men in his day,with broken legs etc.

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 23, 2007, 05:07:51 PM
Suprised none of ye Drung lads didnt give yer man a good clipping,
Drung were never afraid to stand back when the going got tough  ;)

If auld Crowe got at him he'd think twice about hitting a Drung player in the future.
Surprised the cops weren't called ala Drung v Ramor last year.

BallyhaiseMan

teams who win their first round match will have no championship action for 4 weeks, while the team/s ?(dont know how many or if its just one) who gets through the qualifying type system will have played 3 matches in that space and time.
Could work out better in the long run if you lose your first round tie!!!

shotstopper1

Quoteit was more like Aussie rules with all the fighting going on and throw-ups.

If ye stayed outta the Sod there'd be less of that going on. :)

cavan4ever

Yep ur right about the daddy shotstopper.

Sure we only had a team of young lads playing.  
Quote from: shotstopper1 on July 23, 2007, 05:24:17 PM
Quoteit was more like Aussie rules with all the fighting going on and throw-ups.

If ye stayed outta the Sod there'd be less of that going on. :)

True  :D :D

footballmad

ah referees... can't live with 'em, cant play a game of football without 'em.

Quoteon a separate issue, is anybody here subscribed to gaaresults.ie?  i got an interesting text message a few days back about getting free text messages for the summer and was wondering if anybody knows what its about?

i got that message too, seems interesting enough. went to the website to check it out but could see nothing about it. was just fluting about really and accidently clicked on the spar ad on the side of the page... And like magic it took me to this page ;)

http://gaaresults.blogspot.com/

ballyhaise man, hope cullivan isn't too badly injured. he's a heavy enough set lad, if he starts picking up the injuries i'd fear for him John Tierney style!