Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bottom brick

Well done Cavan, a great victory. I had my doubts going into this one but Terry obviously did a great job getting the lads up for it after a difficult defeat to Monaghan. Great to get a good goal aswell, we haven't been getting enough of them, great way fo lift the team and the crowd. Who would we rather get in rd 3?
Shoot for dough, pass for show...

bottom brick

Very disappointed in the way Fermanagh approached the game, dirty hooers!

rodney trotter

Cavan were by far the better team. Fermanagh were clueless yet again in attack. Duffy had a shocker blowing every 2 seconds..
Ronan Flanagan had a great game, sweeping up balls and breaking forward at great pace. Cian Mackey was very impressive again, lovely pass for Dunne goal.
Givney worked very hard at midfield. Dara McVetty got his first taste of Senior action which was good to see

Decent crowd of around 9k

Denn Forever

Well done Cavan.  Who would I like in the next round? Any one but Kildare. We don't need the media circus that would be around that game.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tommysmith

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 14, 2013, 11:12:15 AM
Well done Cavan.  Who would I like in the next round? Any one but Kildare. We don't need the media circus that would be around that game.

I would love Kildare in the park.

comeysfield

Not the best draw, not the worst draw. We can approach the game full of confidence now and if we can get a couple of points up it will be one hell of a battle for Derry. Thought Killian Clarke had one hell of a game his running in defence alone a few times where he didn't get the ball to make space for others was worth it. Along with McVitty great that Declan McKiernan got a chance to get rid of the demons. He came on and consistently did simple stuff with the ball and made sure we played it out comfortably. Maybe one of mentors should just stay in the stand is that just a distraction that a team can do without 

boojangles

Quote from: comeysfield on July 15, 2013, 10:39:25 AM
Not the best draw, not the worst draw. We can approach the game full of confidence now and if we can get a couple of points up it will be one hell of a battle for Derry. Thought Killian Clarke had one hell of a game his running in defence alone a few times where he didn't get the ball to make space for others was worth it. Along with McVitty great that Declan McKiernan got a chance to get rid of the demons. He came on and consistently did simple stuff with the ball and made sure we played it out comfortably. Maybe one of mentors should just stay in the stand is that just a distraction that a team can do without

Probably not the wisest thing for Martin to do alright but it shows the passion he has for this group of players. He is a great man to have around a panel, very positive and I wouldn't come down heavy on him for losing his cool on Saturday.
Overall we couldn't ask for much more from this group of lads. The championship campaign has brought us 3 wins which hasn't happened since 2005 and in general Terry has us moving in a steady upwards curve and he has got the Cavan support back behind the Senior team which is a feat in itself.
Derry away will be tough but the lads will give it a good rattle and considering how Westmeath, who gained promotion along with Derry, came undone, Cavan with the same attitude again will have nothing to fear.

bottom brick

Quote from: boojangles on July 15, 2013, 01:25:09 PM
Quote from: comeysfield on July 15, 2013, 10:39:25 AM

Probably not the wisest thing for Martin to do alright but it shows the passion he has for this group of players. He is a great man to have around a panel, very positive and I wouldn't come down heavy on him for losing his cool on Saturday.
Overall we couldn't ask for much more from this group of lads. The championship campaign has brought us 3 wins which hasn't happened since 2005 and in general Terry has us moving in a steady upwards curve and he has got the Cavan support back behind the Senior team which is a feat in itself.
Derry away will be tough but the lads will give it a good rattle and considering how Westmeath, who gained promotion along with Derry, came undone, Cavan with the same attitude again will have nothing to fear.

+1

Definitely a tough draw but that is to be expected at this stage. I wouldnt read too much into the league either, doesn't count for a whole lot now. I wouldn't be overly confident but I think this team are improving with each game and its certainly no mission impossible.

mylestheslasher

First things first yes it is a tough draw but no matter who we got it was going to be tough. However I am going to stick my neck out and say that we can win this game. Derry had a great win the last day but for me they were playing a down team whose season was all about winning an Ulster. Once that was gone they couldnt get up for it. If you remember back to the first Down v Derry game, Derry looked poor enough at the back and were well beaten in midfield. Yes they have probably one of the top 3 forwards in Ulster in Eoin Bradley but we kept Jamie Clarke quiet and we can do the same to Eoin.

Other thing in our favour is the incredible amount of arrogance been shown already by Derry delighted with the easy draw and path to  the final. If a bit of that complacency sneaks in to their thoughts then thats another good thing.

I also think people are fearing Derry based on the team they used to be. They won a poor Div 2 league and while its a good achievement we should not give them too much respect. I think our lads don't have any fear and will give Derry a right good rattle and I wouldnt be suprised if we pipped them. I won't be too disappointed if we are pipped as these lads have put pride back in the county jersey and are a joy to watch.

All roads lead to Derry next Saturday!

rodney trotter

Derry might have won a poor Divison 2 but they were easily the best team in that Divison. A class above Westmeath.. Some very good free scoring players like Eoin Bradley, James Kielt, Ryan Bell,. The midfield was poor the first day against Down but Derry were without McCluskey the regular midfielder he was back the next day.. They have a  Good midfield and a very strong half back line with Charlie Kielt and Mark Lynch. It will be a step up for Cavan but hopefully they can preform. A possible meeting with London is a great incentive for a place in the quarter finals.

Swadman

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 15, 2013, 08:09:43 PM
..... Some very good free scoring players like Eoin Bradley, James Kielt, Ryan Bell,. The midfield was poor the first day against Down but Derry were without McCluskey the regular midfielder he was back the next day.... A possible meeting with London is a great incentive for a place in the quarter finals.
The breaking news is that he is out for the Cavan game "PJ is out for the season. That's a massive loss."
This may dent Derrys optimism and hopefully fuel our lads

comeysfield

If McCluskey is out that is huge news. That gives us a massive boost we will take everything we get

rodney trotter

Big loss for Derry, like Gearoid McKiernan was for us before the Championship started. Hopefully Damien Reilly and Givney continue the form from the Fermanagh game.

Westside

Derry have the most dangerous array of forwards we will have faced this year. Our system is there to reduce one on one situations but in terms of man to man marking who do people think will pick up Bradley Kielt and Bell? Bradley will take the most watching, but I don't think it's a job for McLoughlin, he would be completely out muscled. McEnroe could be a better option.

I see Eoin Bradley tweeted today "im so glad cavan arent4 turnning up on sat.well u would think dat by al the crap talked.#toughgame#notthateasy".. Not hugely convincing but we can't be counting on Derry taking us lightly!

I'd be surprised if we beat Derry on Saturday, and I firmly believe our season is a success whether we do or not, but I disagree with people saying that this is the real test of progress, anyone who can't see the progress is blind or has had their heads buried in the sand for the last 5 years. What I do think will be interesting is how the team and management will be react if we go behind by 4+ points (which I suspect we will) Will we come out of ourselves a bit more?

Itchy

Derry are probably a better team than us at the moment but we still have a half decent chance. Is there any chance Rory Dunne could be back, he didn't look too mobile on the sideline the last day. I believe Derry and Armagh are of a similar level.