Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: Westside on June 30, 2013, 09:40:26 PM
Bit harsh saying he doesn't want to know. You can't fault his effort or his runs, and very little quality ball went into him. He didn't have a good day out certainly but he was excellent in the last two games. There's no shame in being well marked. My initial reaction was that he should have been taken off after about 50 odd minutes when it was clear that he wasn't winning his personal battle but if you look at it from Terry's point of view, your most accurate forward in a one point game where one strike can win it, leaving him on could have been the right call. He was quiet in the second half v Fermanagh but won the game with an outstanding strike.

I'd be surprised if we progressed much further this year, mentally I think we're spent. The messages from the players seems to be very much "we'll be back next year" Hopefully I'm wrong, another few games and maybe another big scalp would be nice.

Long term I think the development of the team is going well. Some problem areas are the physicality in key areas, Jason McLoughlin is a quality player but needs to be a lot bigger than he is right now, Ronan Flanagan is another lad that's a worry in that department. Midfield needs a lot more consistency and hopefully Gearoid can make a full recovery and return to playing well there with Corr inside him. That could possibly allow us to free up Givney to play in attack, a bit of pace and power there is vital. We NEED a solid free taker from the right, Jack Brady being fit and available would help with that and give us a bigger scoring threat in the half forward line.

Niall McDermott has been our player of Championship for me so far.

Martin Dunne needs to get Stronger similar to Jason McGlaughlin if Cavan are to be genuine Ulster contenders. Dunne is a light player and was going to get it tough against a tenacious type player like Colin Walshe. Dunne has all the ability, maybe lacking some toughness. But I think he will, its his first year playing Senior Championship..

Ronan Flanagan is 26, I don't think he will be getting any bigger. Was always a solid player, but on the short side.

Been impressed with Killian Clarke, had doubts about him but he has been solid and has no fear.

I think they will be up for the qualifiers. A 1pt defeat is hard to take, but im sure they would like get another crack this year..

cavanmaniac

Not too disappointed with the defeat to be honest. It's never nice losing and losing to Monaghan especially but when we take a step back I think we can see the team is right where Terry and Co. would have planned for them to be. Two championship wins, the system bedding in, huge team spirit and dedication evident and a qualifier still to come are all the stuff of good news for Cavan at this stage in their development.

I think mentally this team has been approaching games in the correct manner all year, and I'm fairly sure they won't roll over and allow the qualifiers to pass them by now.

I have no fears there, but my one concern is that we seldom if ever get any luck in qualifier draws and as a young, building team in need of a softer outing for restorative purposes, it'd be a disaster to land Tyrone or indeed any of the other Ulster counties. Could we be drawn against Fermanagh or Armagh again, I always forget which rule the GAA have implemented?

Denn Forever

Fermanagh again.  I'd have preferred to have played them in Brewster but hay ho. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tommysmith

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 01, 2013, 10:14:58 AM
Fermanagh again.  I'd have preferred to have played them in Brewster but hay ho.

It's not a great draw as they will have lots of motivation and will be confident that if they get off to a better start will win and the game at weekend will have brought them on as well.  Westmeath were in division 2 final so are not a bad team.

It's hard to know where Cavan are at, i would say that things have improved but how much is the big question.

Division 3 football is poor and there isn't a decent team in it so getting promotion is a must next year if we are to improve further. 

The last decent team that we played was Kildare and they hammered us and look what Dublin did to them yesterday. 

IMO the only thing's that the present team have any chance of winning is a Division 3 league.  Hopefully we can get some scoring forwards into the team/panel in the next year or two to help with scoring. i know Gearoid will also help on that front when fit again.

Swadman

It's hard to know where Cavan are at, i would say that things have improved but how much is the big question.

Division 3 football is poor and there isn't a decent team in it so getting promotion is a must next year if we are to improve further. 

The last decent team that we played was Kildare and they hammered us and look what Dublin did to them yesterday. 

IMO the only thing's that the present team have any chance of winning is a Division 3 league.  Hopefully we can get some scoring forwards into the team/panel in the next year or two to help with scoring. i know Gearoid will also help on that front when fit again.

For that reason alone it could be a blessing in disguise not to be going up against Donegal. If Monaghan could out muscle us then what would Donegal do in an Ulster final. A bad batein' on the big screen would be very damaging to this young teams progression. No, I'm content with the back door and a winnable game v Fermanagh, everything after that is a bonus (at least we're not Leitrim  ;D)

bottom brick

On another note, its great to see a former Cavan player enjoying a bit of success with his adopted county. Lorcan Mulvey has been a great addition to London since he moved there for work  and now has a Connacht final to look forward to. Im sure he will have the support of his fellow Cavanmen on the day and would be welcomed back if he returned to Cavan. In stark contrast to you know who, who made a scoreless cameo for Kildare in their capitulation to Dublin
Shoot for dough, pass for show...

tommysmith

Quote from: bottom brick on July 01, 2013, 08:59:07 PM
On another note, its great to see a former Cavan player enjoying a bit of success with his adopted county. Lorcan Mulvey has been a great addition to London since he moved there for work  and now has a Connacht final to look forward to. Im sure he will have the support of his fellow Cavanmen on the day and would be welcomed back if he returned to Cavan. In stark contrast to you know who, who made a scoreless cameo for Kildare in their capitulation to Dublin

Fair play to Mulvey his temperament let him down a few times when with Cavan but he is a talented footballer. 

As for you know who i wonder is all the travelling for training and matches worth it, i'd say he would rather be doing more than warming the bench  :D

cavanmaniac

Disappointed with that draw to be honest. You almost always want a team from a different province and a repeat of a previous game is just a real downer. We won't learn anything from another fishwives' haranguing match with Fermanagh. And I can see us losing it this time around too, they'll have learned a lot from the first game and have the momentum now as well. Really disappointing, I know that on the face of it, it's winnable, and we could have done worse, but I was desperate for a better learning opportunity and a novelty pairing to get us out of these incestuous, suffocating bore-fests in Ulster. :(

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 02, 2013, 12:08:33 AM
Disappointed with that draw to be honest. You almost always want a team from a different province and a repeat of a previous game is just a real downer. We won't learn anything from another fishwives' haranguing match with Fermanagh. And I can see us losing it this time around too, they'll have learned a lot from the first game and have the momentum now as well. Really disappointing, I know that on the face of it, it's winnable, and we could have done worse, but I was desperate for a better learning opportunity and a novelty pairing to get us out of these incestuous, suffocating bore-fests in Ulster. :(

I agree to a point but at the same time we could have got an away game against say Tyrone or Derry so on the face of it we can win and progress. My only fear is the players buy into the "for feck sake not them again" attitude. You know well that Fermanagh are loving this, a chance of revenge again, as they feel they totally under-performed against us in the 1st half the last day and thats the only reason they won. Our lads need to be chomping at the bit to keep these annoying neighbours in their box!

rodney trotter

Can see it being another dire game of football. League promotion was lost against Fermanagh in Breffni, that should be a little extra motivation this time around.

I also don't know why anyone would want to play them in Brewster again. We beat them there in the last 2 visits and have a good record there under age. But can't be depending to play there all the time. They will be confident of beating Cavan after going to Mullingar and getting a result..

Westside

Minor Division 1 Semi Finals were played last night, I find it amazing that a Templeport team (who were without two of their county Minors, Farrell and Galligan) can beat an amalgamation of Cavan Gaels and Killigarry. They will duke it out with Ramor in the Final as they have done in every age-group since U12.

rodney trotter

An excellent win for Templeport. They have the exact same team as least year apparently?
I was at the Ramor semi, they looked very impressive.

Denn Forever

I hope we are up for it next week.  Down seemed to be quite poor after their performance against Donegal.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Westside

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 06, 2013, 07:03:25 PM
An excellent win for Templeport. They have the exact same team as least year apparently?

Missing only Eoghan Martin who played midfield for them last year. I saw them play in other years and they always has 13 excellent players but were carrying a few young lads and had a weak bench, just a lack of numbers. That's why I was shocked they won without two of their best players. Ramor are a very good side, what county minors would they have had this year?

rodney trotter

Quote from: Westside on July 06, 2013, 07:29:49 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on July 06, 2013, 07:03:25 PM

Missing only Eoghan Martin who played midfield for them last year. I saw them play in other years and they always has 13 excellent players but were carrying a few young lads and had a weak bench, just a lack of numbers. That's why I was shocked they won without two of their best players. Ramor are a very good side, what county minors would they have had this year?

Conor Bradley would have been involved. There was other lads in and around the panel during the year, Jack Doyle and Sean Brady.

Great for Templeport in future years to build a solid team around a lot of those Minors