Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoopmine

Hard fought win delighted for the lads. Some bad shooting decisions but serious character shown. Had a quick check on the Hogan there and some Monaghan members are getting the boot in early. Its going to be an interesting two weeks!

Westside

A good win, great bottle shown when all the momentum was against us for the second game in a row. Out and out refusal to be beaten, great stuff. Our tackling and turning over the ball in the first half was outstanding, typified by Mackey who had a stormer even though he was blatantly being targeted by Fermanagh. Martin Dunne lived off scraps but got a few important scores and his last from play was sublime, an outstanding score at any stage during a game but to put us ahead going into injury time made it all the more special. Gilsenan was very solid in goals and dealt with the high ball very well. Didn't look impressed that he wasn't brought up to hit the free Dunne missed towards the end. Alan Clarke was immense throughout and his disposession on the Fermanagh man storming through at the end was quality, we were screaming at them to take him down!

There are a few negatives from the day though, once again we were wiped out at midfield. Won very little clean possession and in general were second to the breaking ball. David Givney's wild shooting was frustrating, he has a lot of potential but his decision making at times is awful. Martin Reilly kicked 3 into the goalkeepers hands in the second half. Lack of a good free taker hurt us too.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Westside on June 16, 2013, 06:53:52 PM
A good win, great bottle shown when all the momentum was against us for the second game in a row. Out and out refusal to be beaten, great stuff. Our tackling and turning over the ball in the first half was outstanding, typified by Mackey who had a stormer even though he was blatantly being targeted by Fermanagh. Martin Dunne lived off scraps but got a few important scores and his last from play was sublime, an outstanding score at any stage during a game but to put us ahead going into injury time made it all the more special. Gilsenan was very solid in goals and dealt with the high ball very well. Didn't look impressed that he wasn't brought up to hit the free Dunne missed towards the end. Alan Clarke was immense throughout and his disposession on the Fermanagh man storming through at the end was quality, we were screaming at them to take him down!

There are a few negatives from the day though, once again we were wiped out at midfield. Won very little clean possession and in general were second to the breaking ball. David Givney's wild shooting was frustrating, he has a lot of potential but his decision making at times is awful. Martin Reilly kicked 3 into the goalkeepers hands in the second half. Lack of a good free taker hurt us too.

In the second Fermanagh got on top at midfield alright with Eoin Donnelly making a big impact and Martin Mcgrath stepping up. Givney had a decent first half, Damien Reilly wasn't winning much and was moved once  Declan McKiernan came on, it didn't go well for McKiernan, caught in possession and Kicked 2 poor wides, when he had time to compose himself. He showed well but was too slow releasing the ball

Keating is developing into a quality Footballer. His performance against Donegal last year kicking 5 pts, was a sign of his potential. Was a big loss back in 2010 for the U 21's.

Been a long time since Cavan played in Clones at Senior, hopefully it will be a winning return..

mylestheslasher

Well lads. I told you Cavan would win and I also told you the security checks and traffic was a load of Bollix. I hope you all paid attention and went to the game. I found it very enjoyable! This year already we have beaten Monaghan at U21 and Senior, Fermanagh at Minor and Senior and Meath at Senior and in a challenge too. You can't get much better than that! Now for Monaghan and I think it is a winable game. We do need to improve on certain aspects. We seemed to get a bit excited at time against Fermanagh and forced the shot or had the wrong players taking the shots. Once or twice we made some poor decisions to give in balls when it wasnt really on. I put it down to youth and inexperience on the big day but I am certain they will learn from that for the next game. One thing that did irk me a bit was how Dec McKiernan was treated, I thought he deserved 5 more mins to get into the game. Corr did no more than him when he came on. I think Dec just struggles with his nerves on the big day. Awful shame one of those shots didnt go over for him. I hope he does the right thing and re-doubles his efforts and gets another shot at it as Corr doesn't look near fit to me. He may be needed as McEnroe and Jack Brady are likely to be doubts. Also one player who didnt get a mention much after the game was Niall McDermott. A lot of us left him off our teams earlier in the season but in fairness he has been class. He won the ball for that last point like his life depended on it and was nearly beheaded for his efforts. Big congrats to him.
So the season has been a success as far as I am concerned and anything more is a bonus but God I would love to see us give it to Monaghan in Clones.
Paul Fitzpatrick - what are ya at mentioning the unmentionable in this weeks celt? Good God man don't be going back there again.

mylestheslasher

http://hoganstand.com/cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=194852

Gaynors name is now in the public domain. 20 weeks, he is getting off lightly. What a waste of talent that boy is.

rodney trotter

If he had kept his head he would still be centre back for Cavan. Played his best football at 20/21in 04/05. Then drifted off the scene. Made a brief comeback in 2011 in the final game of the league against Tipp. Then missed the championship with an ankle problem.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 20, 2013, 01:05:38 PM
If he had kept his head he would still be centre back for Cavan. Played his best football at 20/21in 04/05. Then drifted off the scene. Made a brief comeback in 2011 in the final game of the league against Tipp. Then missed the championship with an ankle problem.

I think he got dropped from the panel after going on the beer for a few days after the tipp game

rodney trotter

Actually he did yeah, 3 or 4 day bender. He did have an ankle problem around that time too.

Itchy

rodney trotter

Been there all year, great for Gilsenan and O' Mara to learn more from a keeper who is full time. Even if it's only once a week sessions.

anglocelt39

Quote from: tommysmith on June 20, 2013, 01:25:07 PM

I think he got dropped from the panel after going on the beer for a few days after the tipp game

Thankfully we can ignore most of what you post given the nonsense you have posted about Tommy Corr, Turloch Mooney and Terry Hyland over the last few weeks.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

tommysmith

Good boy anglo.

Edit: Can you show me what  i posted about Corr please young lad :D

anglocelt39

Glad to do that Tommy when you fill me in on the few lads who were heading stateside after the Armagh match. ;)
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tommysmith on June 20, 2013, 01:25:07 PM

I always thought Gaynor was going to be a great player for cavan and the stupid things he did he might grow out of but it seems that he has the maturity of a teenager on the field. You would hope having his name splashed across the national media and getting a large ban might force him to take a look at himself but it seems to me he hasn't the brains to do that and will most likely go down as another Cavan footballer who pissed his potential away. We can only hope. I tell you I would not be happy if some thug bit my sons ear like that on a field, he made a real mess of that ear.

tommysmith

Quote from: anglocelt39 on June 22, 2013, 11:47:00 PM
Glad to do that Tommy when you fill me in on the few lads who were heading stateside after the Armagh match. ;)

Nobody was going till out of Ulster championship, deadline for transfers is up for that next week i think.

Now fill me on on Corr?