Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Decent enough Junior team for the match against Louth tonight. Average age of the team is 23. Hopefully Ross Sheridan can continue his DIT sigerson form, been playing well with Killygarry too.
Big chance for Barry Reilly to be in the frame for the Fermanagh game with a decent showing. other players like
Oisin O Connell , Michael Brady, David Hyland,Niall Reilly have a chance to impress, been with the Senior panel since the McKenna Cup but haven't seen much action . Good full back line with Mooney and Oisin Minagh

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 29, 2013, 12:51:37 PM
. Good full back line with Mooney and Oisin Minagh

I think the jury would be out on that one.

Itchy

Our juniors beat Louth 1-10 to 1-9.

Great to see us win another tight one.

rodney trotter

Good win for the Juniors in Dundalk, playing Longford in the next round.

tommysmith

It's a pity that this will probably be the last year of that competition its good for giving lads at edge of senior panel games.

Itchy

Didn't realise it was been done away with. Is that decision made?

tommysmith

Quote from: Itchy on May 29, 2013, 09:11:57 PM
Didn't realise it was been done away with. Is that decision made?

It's not made yet but Croke Park are talking of pulling it as only something like 9 counties entered it this year.

rodney trotter

Only 3teams entered in Connacht this year, meaning Ross I think, were straight into the final. Pity it isn't taken more serious, but when the interest isn't there, f all can be done to solve it. Its been a great benefit for Cavan. Playing in Leinster since 08.

There was more then 9 counties over all though playing Junior this year

Itchy

Think only 2 were in Connacht. Sligo beat Mayo in the final.

Western Blue

Was told this morning that the Mayo team are playing Cavan next Monday at 1.30pm in Ballina in a challenge match. Most likely on the Ballina Stephenites pitch. I wonder is the squad in Belmullet for the weekend as our County Chairman is from there. Fingers crossed no injuries from the match.  Should be interesting watching the O'Shea's brothers against David Giveny and A.N.Other? Will keep you all posted after the match.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Western Blue on May 30, 2013, 02:30:38 PM
Was told this morning that the Mayo team are playing Cavan next Monday at 1.30pm in Ballina in a challenge match. Most likely on the Ballina Stephenites pitch. I wonder is the squad in Belmullet for the weekend as our County Chairman is from there. Fingers crossed no injuries from the match.  Should be interesting watching the O'Shea's brothers against David Giveny and A.N.Other? Will keep you all posted after the match.

Game is definitely at the Stephenites as it is their official opening of the pitch. Fine pitch it is too, put down by Prunty I believe. Will pop over for a look myself.

mylestheslasher

Well done to the Junior team, match report from the Celt. I'd really like to see Barry Reilly get some game time against Fermanagh...

http://www.anglocelt.ie/sport/gaelicfootball/articles/2013/05/30/4016100-juniors-record-gutsy-win-over-louth/

Cavan juniors recorded a gutsy win over Louth at a bright and blustery Dowdallshill last evening (Wednesday) to book their place in the last four of the Leinster JFC for the fourth successive year.

Cavan goaled after ten seconds through Chris Conroy and, with the aid of the wind, were the better side in the first half, after which they led by 1-3 to 0-4, David Hyland, Niall Murray and Conroy again providing the points.

Conor Madden had won a lot of possession in the opening half but struggled to make an impact on the scoreboard, although his distribution was impressive.

Facing into a low sun and the breeze, Cavan struggled for periods in the second half. Turloc Mooney lost the ball in the sun and Louth pounced for a well-taken goal from Cathal Bellew to turn the game on its head.

Cavan made some changes, with Mooney going off, Oisin Minagh to full-back and Paul Graham coming into the attack and along with the introduction of Michael Argue, this helped shore things up.

With Dara McVeety having an outstanding match, Cavan hung on throughout the third quarter and after points from Barry Reilly – who nailed a 45 and a free-kick from 50 metres – Cavan stayed in touch.

The visitors' use of possession was exemplary as they played "keep-ball" in the closing stages, Ross Sheridan getting on the end of a move to make it 1-10 to 1-8.

Louth had the final score from James Califf but Cavan held possession for a full two minutes in injury time before ref Garryowen McMahon blew it up in the 75th minute.

Among those to impress were McVeety, Minagh and Niall O'Reilly, while Barry Reilly and sub Graham also caught the eye at times.

rodney trotter

Mossy Corr doesn't seem to be making progress on the hamstring injury which he has had for the past 4/5 weeks. Didn't play against Lacken last Sunday or against Ballinagh last night.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 31, 2013, 01:33:53 PM
Mossy Corr doesn't seem to be making progress on the hamstring injury which he has had for the past 4/5 weeks. Didn't play against Lacken last Sunday or against Ballinagh last night.

Thats not good i would imagine Terry would want him to be getting some matches if he was fit.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 31, 2013, 01:33:53 PM

He'd want to be making an appearance against Mayo on Monday to have any chance of being selected for the Fermanagh game.