Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Fermanagh will be whole different ball game, as someone said they will have Dunne and Keating tightly marked with a sweeper or two for good measure. They will note we aren't spreading our scores around. They will be sticky and tight and nasty as hell, just like they were in the league game. They will also be mad for revenge after our ram-raid of Brewster last year.Terry will need a whole different game plan for that one and the boys will have to be ready for a war.
Saying that I think we have better footballers than Fermanagh, i just hope they don't out muscle us.

Saying that I don't think too many men are strong enough to hold Eugene and I think if he gets the auld boot calibrated before the game he will surely kick a few scores. If Keating is winning the dirty ball close to goal Dunne can still make hay.

I see the minors are down to play in Clones this weekend. If that Connolly lad upped his work rate a bit he would be an outstanding prospect, some of the points he kicked were unreal.

Denn Forever

Is the next game in Brewster Park or Clones?  Hearing different things.

So who are the players to watch out for in the Fermanagh team? 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

rodney trotter

The Senior game is in Brewster, 16th June. Strange that its going ahead with Enniskillen being more or less shut down in that period. key players would be Ryan McCluskey, Shane McCabe, Martin McGrath, Sean Quigley, missed the Cavan game with injury, and Ryan Jones, u21 player this year, Was part of the Ulster panel that won the Railway Cup this year. Tomas Corrigan is also a useful forward.

Denn Forever

Thanks.  The minor game is this weekend.  Is it not a bit close to the leaving cert? 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 20, 2013, 09:48:40 PM
Thanks.  The minor game is this weekend.  Is it not a bit close to the leaving cert?

There are Under 16 club games next Wednesday with the Junior Cert starting one week later...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Westside

What do people reckon about the Fermanagh game? It's obvious we won't get scores as easily, probably never will again! But most of our scores on Sunday were within 25 metres of goal. That entire area will be saturated with Green Jerseys on the 16th. I think we might see a similar tactic to the U21s. Patient build up play, lots of movement and waiting for the right pass. That's why I think we'll see Jack Brady start against Fermanagh, he has better vision and awareness than any other player in the team, although Barry Reilly isn't far off. Keating also provides us with a long ball option when we are able to break fast down the field. The lads love Brewster and though it may be home for Fermanagh I'd rather the game there than in Clones.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on May 21, 2013, 08:18:18 PM
What do people reckon about the Fermanagh game? It's obvious we won't get scores as easily, probably never will again! But most of our scores on Sunday were within 25 metres of goal. That entire area will be saturated with Green Jerseys on the 16th. I think we might see a similar tactic to the U21s. Patient build up play, lots of movement and waiting for the right pass. That's why I think we'll see Jack Brady start against Fermanagh, he has better vision and awareness than any other player in the team, although Barry Reilly isn't far off. Keating also provides us with a long ball option when we are able to break fast down the field. The lads love Brewster and though it may be home for Fermanagh I'd rather the game there than in Clones.

I agree. I think it will pan out like the U21 final this year. However, Fermanagh will try the exact same tactics back against us. It is key that we win midfield which means we need to work hard on kick outs as Gilsenans were a bit wild at times the last day (i put it down to nerves). Givney needs some ball winning help in there so I'd be surprised if Corr doesn't start if he can regain fitness. Dunne needs to stay close to goal and work across the line and work again and again to find the space. If he is patient he'll get his chance and he is well fit to kick 4/5 points from play against Fermanagh. This is a game made for Barry Reilly, his vision and passing are the best we have. Jacks work rate are probably better and Terry will likely go for him. We shall see.

packiedevlin

Any idea where Podge was on Sunday? He wasnt named in the 26 and I didnt see him in the warm up either. Is he injured?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: packiedevlin on May 21, 2013, 08:53:20 PM
Any idea where Podge was on Sunday? He wasnt named in the 26 and I didnt see him in the warm up either. Is he injured?

He seems to have been dropped off the panel, played for Ballinagh at the weekend.

rodney trotter

Quote from: packiedevlin on May 21, 2013, 08:53:20 PM

He isn't injured, he was playing for Ballinagh last Friday against Lacken. He just didn't make the 26 man panel,his form wasn't hectic this year at Co Level

mb80b60

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 21, 2013, 08:33:11 PM

I agree. I think it will pan out like the U21 final this year. However, Fermanagh will try the exact same tactics back against us. It is key that we win midfield which means we need to work hard on kick outs as Gilsenans were a bit wild at times the last day (i put it down to nerves). Givney needs some ball winning help in there so I'd be surprised if Corr doesn't start if he can regain fitness. Dunne needs to stay close to goal and work across the line and work again and again to find the space. If he is patient he'll get his chance and he is well fit to kick 4/5 points from play against Fermanagh. This is a game made for Barry Reilly, his vision and passing are the best we have. Jacks work rate are probably better and Terry will likely go for him. We shall see.

Fermanagh supporter here.  Dunne will do very well to score 4/5 from play against Fermanagh.  Any scores against us will come from 35m plus.  The game would actually suit Gearoid McK as he is someone with a good ability to kick scores from distance.

Someone else asked about our key players.... Woods is our main man-marker and will pick up Dunne.  Asides from that, the half back line will consist of anyone from 4/5 players.  McGrath will be key in midfield.  Tommy McElroy will line out at wing half forward but will funnel back and many attacks will build via his runs out of defence.  Shane McCabe will be the playmaker and will hopefully play accurate passes into a full forward line of Sean Quigley and Tomas Corrigan/Paul Ward.  If Quigley regains his pre-injury form, he will hurt yous from frees.  Neither team will fear the other, and I expect both teams to have very similar tactics in terms of men dropping back into defence.  Keating/Dunne will not have the space they were afforded on Sunday.  I'm sure it won't be pretty, but I do think it will be intriguing!

Will Cavan line out more or less as they did on Sunday?

rodney trotter

Quote from: mb80b60 on May 21, 2013, 09:08:02 PM

Fermanagh supporter here.  Dunne will do very well to score 4/5 from play against Fermanagh.  Any scores against us will come from 35m plus.  The game would actually suit Gearoid McK as he is someone with a good ability to kick scores from distance.

Someone else asked about our key players.... Woods is our main man-marker and will pick up Dunne.  Asides from that, the half back line will consist of anyone from 4/5 players.  McGrath will be key in midfield.  Tommy McElroy will line out at wing half forward but will funnel back and many attacks will build via his runs out of defence.  Shane McCabe will be the playmaker and will hopefully play accurate passes into a full forward line of Sean Quigley and Tomas Corrigan/Paul Ward.  If Quigley regains his pre-injury form, he will hurt yous from frees.  Neither team will fear the other, and I expect both teams to have very similar tactics in terms of men dropping back into defence.  Keating/Dunne will not have the space they were afforded on Sunday.  I'm sure it won't be pretty, but I do think it will be intriguing!

Big Seamus was never recalled, or is he away , America? Sean is a younger brother of his I believe

Cavan will be pretty similar to what started, maybe Jack Brady coming in at half forward. No point making wholesale changes when its not needed.

The league encounter was feisty enough... expect more of the same down in Enniskillen

mb80b60

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 21, 2013, 09:10:26 PM

Big Seamus was never recalled, or is he away , America? Sean is a younger brother of his I believe

Cavan will be pretty similar to what started, maybe Jack Brady coming in at half forward. No point making wholesale changes when its not needed.

The league encounter was feisty enough... expect more of the same down in Enniskillen

It will be feisty surely.  There was a bit of needle in last year's championship encounter also.

No, big Seamus has not been recalled and to date he wasn't missed during the league.  Undoubted talent, but things didn't work out at county level last year and I'm sure Canavan won't be looking him to return now.  As far as I know he is at home and playing well for his club Roslea.  Sean is indeed his younger brother and he had started to look like a great option at full forward before his injury.  He should be fit for the Cavan game.  He isn't overly quick for a full forward, but he's strong and clever and very accurate from frees.

rodney trotter

Quote from: mb80b60 on May 21, 2013, 09:55:35 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on May 21, 2013, 09:10:26 PM

It will be feisty surely.  There was a bit of needle in last year's championship encounter also.

No, big Seamus has not been recalled and to date he wasn't missed during the league.  Undoubted talent, but things didn't work out at county level last year and I'm sure Canavan won't be looking him to return now.  As far as I know he is at home and playing well for his club Roslea.  Sean is indeed his younger brother and he had started to look like a great option at full forward before his injury.  He should be fit for the Cavan game.  He isn't overly quick for a full forward, but he's strong and clever and very accurate from frees.

Daryl Keenan is a good footballer too, I was impressed with him in the League game, he always plays well against Cavan

Do you think Barry Owens will make the team for the championship?, only came on in the League game ,and stamped his authority on the game.

mb80b60

Yes my guess is that Owens will start and pick up Keating.

Daryl Keenan is a very good footballer and fits Canavan's system erectly.  He runs all day and sees a lot of ball.  He'll line out at corner forward but will defend around the half back line.  If the ball gets turned over he's a good carrier of the ball forward.  He is also a good finisher.  Probably underrated outside of Fermanagh, but one of the first names on the teamsheet for me.