Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

You have to ask yourself what is the role of the modern day GAA keeper. They will rarely have to make the one on one saves. It is not about thumping huge kicks out the field anymore either. For me it is..

Accurate kick outs
Being able to vary kick outs.
Confidence and accuracy to take a short kick out.
Command the small box under the high ball
Read the game ahead of you and react quickly.

For me the biggest problem with Miller has been that he has not improved any aspect of his game. He looks to have weight on, he is dopey and he has just thumped the ball up the field. What he does have is a physical presence and he does have the experience on playing at this level.

O Meara has more accurate kick outs and is more alert but not as physical. He also is a dedicated member of the panel.

Gilsenan has the physique, good kicks.

Having said that, I think Miller will get in there due to his experience. Gilsenan probably needs an extended run in the league for the seniors before being put in at the deep end. O Meara needs to bulk up a bit. I only hope Miller has got the finger out and stops living on his past performances and has worked on the weak areas of his game.

anglocelt39

Quote from: tommysmith on May 14, 2013, 04:49:01 PM
O'mara has been playing in training games and if fit i would have him in for his kick outs.

While Miller is the better keeper his kick outs are a lottery.

good to hear he's playing training games because I understand he is playing feck all club games, ditto Gilsenan
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

beer baron

Team named.Whether it starts like this who knows but i'd be surprised if there isn't one or 2 positional and personnel changes.

CGilsenan.JMcLoughlin.RDunne.KClarke.JMcEnroe.AClarke.RFlanagan.DReilly.DGivney.CMackey.JBrady.FFlanagan.NMcDermott.MDunne.EKeating. vArmagh

rodney trotter

Be surprised if that was the actual starting team, but if it is best of luck to them. It will be a tough test.

Westside

Surprised to see McKeever not start. Other than that the team looks about right apart from a few positional changes. I'd be worried about O'Reilly at midfield but if that's our only option I suppose we could do worse.

Itchy

Few odd calls but I suppose we aren't seeing who is doing well and who isn't in training. Fergal Flanagan is probably getting the job of tracking kernan. Golden an in for keeper is a big call given that its his debut but I hope he does himself justice. I would have liked to see Barry Reilly start but Jack gets the nod over him and Martin Reilly. Very hard on Martin who has bust his arose in every game this year. Anyway good luck to them, its a squad game and we've some quality on the bench.

Itchy

There is a possibility that Damien reilly will go wing back, ronan Flanagan corner back and Killian Clarke midfield?

beer baron

I'd say there's plenty of different possibilities,Mc Enroe go full back,Clarke Midfield and Damien Reilly half back. Is Dunne even fit?Heard a week or 2 back he was injured?  ???

rodney trotter

Need more from the other forwards on Sunday. Last year against Donegal, it was mainly keating. Dunne wasn't involved that day and McDermott came on as a sub. This will be Dunnes first Championship game if he is fit.

Clarke will probably play in the middle, played the whole game there against Meath. He doesn't look the strongest for Senior yet, another year u21, but may be proved wrong on Sunday.

tommysmith

It's not a great team lads alot of stronger players not starting.

Westside

Quote from: tommysmith on May 15, 2013, 10:43:27 AM
It's not a great team lads alot of stronger players not starting.

A lot?? Such as who?

anglocelt39

See tipp beat cork in minor championship tonight think our  lads had a good workout against Tipp recently so hope it stands to them on Sunday. Big big ask for the seniors hope we can get something out of it, we seem to have injury problems but Armagh have plenty to complain about on that front also .

Does anybody know what Conor Gilsenans club situation is? I understand he hasn't togged out for the Shamrocks a whole lot and was trying to transfer out to Killinkere, not ideal. Understand O Mara hasn't been seen around Saint Annes Park much either. Strange.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

rodney trotter

Gilsenan was in nets 2 weeks ago for a League game. Remember reading the report in the Celt, think it was his first game for  Bailieborough this year

mylestheslasher

Quote from: anglocelt39 on May 15, 2013, 10:11:57 PM
See tipp beat cork in minor championship tonight think our  lads had a good workout against Tipp recently so hope it stands to them on Sunday. Big big ask for the seniors hope we can get something out of it, we seem to have injury problems but Armagh have plenty to complain about on that front also .

Does anybody know what Conor Gilsenans club situation is? I understand he hasn't togged out for the Shamrocks a whole lot and was trying to transfer out to Killinkere, not ideal. Understand O Mara hasn't been seen around Saint Annes Park much either. Strange.

I was told by a fellow supporter at the Meath match that he tried to transfer and a objection by Drumalee (who were trying to stop another transfer) stopped it. Killeshandra played Bailieboro earlier in the league and neither of the O Mara's or Gilsenan were in goals. Seems strange but maybe there is a reason.

Itchy

Anglo, how did the minors get on against Tipp. I'm really hoping they can prove their doubters wrong and put their mixed form behind them