Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

The 2011 Minors had an average league but I don't recall them taking any big hammerings. I don't think taking beatings like that will do confidence any good. Putting out what may essentially be a new team in the first round of the Championship and expecting them to pull together is a big ask. Some level of consistency is needed. I'd also say that if we don't win the first round at the very least, Gary Donohoe should be out the door. A very average club manager from Leitrim in my opinion.

rodney trotter

He didn't seemed concerned last week in the Celt, saying he was using a large panel. And was looking at various players before settling on a team for the Championship. There was a few missing today who will be certs to play against Armagh in the Championship. Still lots of time for Challenge games after the Minor league to look better at a stronger team. He is actually from Gowna.

They beat Armagh on Wednesday by a point.

anglocelt39

Did I read somewhere that the underage development panels have either being done away with or curtailed. If that's the case you might be right to be worried about the tankings the minors are taking at the minute. Listening to some of the lads who played in the past two years Under 21 sides they put great store at being involved with a development panel over a few years. So if those panels are being curtailed you would only imagine it's either finance or else rank stupidity.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Westside

Well he's hardly going to come out and show concern but what sort of message is he sending to the panel at large by saying that type of thing? Where are all these players that are much better than what we have out and why aren't they getting any game time, or are they already proven veterans at the age of 17/18? Two hammerings now and a game where they almost threw away a 7 point lead. Should any combination of a 30 odd panel be taking 10 point hammerings at home to Monaghan? I think it's fair to be concerned.

He's a Drumreilly man is he not? Ask the Ballinamore or Belturbet lads what they think of him...

mylestheslasher

Well he certainly made a balls of the game last year from the line against Donegal. We'll have to see as he was involved in our Ulster win and that has earned him the right to manage the team this year!

rodney trotter

Def from Gowna, I heard he is a bit hit and miss as a club manager alright.

Video from the Cavan- Armagh game on Wednesday night http://www.armaghgaa.net/football/video-armagh-minors-0-10-cavan-minors-0-11/

Cavan almost threw away a big lead

rodney trotter

Surely winning a Minor Championship 2 years ago should give him some lay way, despite the mistakes last year against Donegal..

rodney trotter

I think beating Armagh was still a great psychological boost ahead of the Championship meeting, albeit almost throwing away a big lead. They won at and that's what mattered. They won't fear Armagh in the Championship. If they were to get past Armagh its Fermanagh, and I'd fancy Cavan  to beat them. If Cavan were to make the semi's and a possible match with Monaghan, Cavan would not be getting a 9 pt defeat Imo with a stronger side and some momentum.

Itchy

Big changes for tomorrow

James Reilly; Killian brady, Padraic O'Reilly, Ronan Flanagan; Rory Dunne, James Mcenroe, John McCutcheon; Gearoid McKiernan, Declan McKiernan; Martin Reilly, Cian Mackey, Mark McKeever; Martin Dunne, Niall McDermott, Eugene Keating

tommysmith

Quote from: anglocelt39 on April 06, 2013, 04:59:31 PM
Did I read somewhere that the underage development panels have either being done away with or curtailed. If that's the case you might be right to be worried about the tankings the minors are taking at the minute. Listening to some of the lads who played in the past two years Under 21 sides they put great store at being involved with a development panel over a few years. So if those panels are being curtailed you would only imagine it's either finance or else rank stupidity.

No truth in that i don't know where you could have read that.

rodney trotter

As for worrying about future under age teams, take a look at St Pats and what they have been doing lately, there is plenty of good players coming through...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Itchy on April 06, 2013, 08:25:32 PM
Big changes for tomorrow

James Reilly; Killian brady, Padraic O'Reilly, Ronan Flanagan; Rory Dunne, James Mcenroe, John McCutcheon; Gearoid McKiernan, Declan McKiernan; Martin Reilly, Cian Mackey, Mark McKeever; Martin Dunne, Niall McDermott, Eugene Keating

Interesting to see how this team goes. I would've liked to see Barry Reilly get a full 70 mins into him as he is going to need to get fit soon with Ulster just around the corner. Best of luck to them anyway. Fingers crossed a few results go our way.

tommysmith

Barry Reilly wont be starting come Championship, what you think of that myles?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tommysmith on April 07, 2013, 12:12:06 PM

Why would you say that? I think the team will be worse for it. Long range free taker, very creative and confident player. If fit he's on my first 15. Is he injured or do you just reckon Hyland doesn't fancy him?

tommysmith

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 07, 2013, 12:36:12 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on April 07, 2013, 12:12:06 PM

Why would you say that? I think the team will be worse for it. Long range free taker, very creative and confident player. If fit he's on my first 15. Is he injured or do you just reckon Hyland doesn't fancy him?

I just think that if you look at the 6 picked today that Terry would have 5 of them ahead of him and also Jack Brady and Givney.

Martin Reilly, Cian Mackey, Mark McKeever; Martin Dunne, Niall McDermott, Eugene Keating

Just my opinion of course.