Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Wasn't aware of Watson getting a red card. I think I remember him in a off the ball incident, didn't think the ref flashed a red card. He was lively enough when he came on, made one shocking hand pass to jack brady though, which led to a Monaghan attack

Westside

Dillon hit two good scores when he came on but looked rusty at times too, fumbled the ball and coughed up possession 2/3 times. Albeit under pressure. But his two scores were vital and show what he has to offer. I thought Mooney played brilliantly until he tired. Gerard Smith and McVeety were the basis for the victory though, both calm and assured.

It will be interesting to see if Peter makes many unforced changes the next day. I hope he takes a leaf out of Terry's book and sticks with a similar side as started last night.

rodney trotter

I would like to see a change at midfield the next day, unless Argue up's his game, because he was a passenger for long stages yesterday. Mooney at midfield and Dillon half forward.

Connor Moyngh is back but hardly ready to start a full game.

anglocelt39

Game confirmed for 2.30 tomorrow, dogfight predicted

JReilly,OMinagh,JMcEnroe, PReilly,JHayes,AClarke,JMcCutcheon,TCorr,GMcKiernan,CMackey,DGivney,MReilly,NMcDermott,EKeating,MDunne.WW Sun 2.30
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Itchy

Meehan and Brady were poor last time out so fair enough replacing them. Podge for me though hasn't the pace for corner back. Bizarre Mccutcheon in but couldn't even get a run as a sub last week, perhaps he had a knock. Is McKeever back from his trip yet? Keating in but let's hope he stays near the posts. Won't be an easy game this.

Itchy

Well done to the seniors today, not an easy venue to get a result from. Match report from the Celt...

Cavan's promotion hopes are still intact – barely – after they came through a gruelling test against Division 3 bottom side Wicklow at a freezing Aughrim today (Sunday).

The Breffni men played with the benefit of a gale-force breeze in the opening half but wasted a host of scoring opportunities as they craved out a precarious four-point interval lead, 0-8 to 0-4.

Cavan had 19 shots on goal in the opening half but poor decision-making and wasteful shooting kept the hosts in the game.

Wicklow led by 0-3 to 0-1 after eight minutes following points from Nicky Mernagh and Seanie Furlong (two frees), with Cian Mackey's excellent point on the run Cavan's only response.

Terry Hyland's men bossed the remainder of the half, however, with Gearoid McKiernan and the excellent Tomás Corr battling well at midfield, and scores from Martin Dunne (two from play and two frees), Eugene Keating, Martin Reilly and Corr saw them hit the front.

They picked up where they left off in the second half, Niall McDermott – who had a fine game – sending them 0-9 to 0-5 in front seconds into the half.

They missed a succession of chances before Furlong nicked two frees to draw his side to within two.

Cavan huffed and puffed but a litany of errors saw them fail to blow a resilient, but limited, Wicklow away but the introduction of Barry Reilly, Declan McKiernan and Ronan Flanagan – and the late dismissal of Wicklow's Steven Coen – finally swung things their way.

Four points in as many minutes from Dunne, who terrorised the full-back line, Declan McKiernan and Barry Reilly sealed the win and while Wicklow had the final say through Mernagh, Cavan ran out worthy three-point winners.

With Roscommon beating Monaghan and the Antrim v Meath match postponed, the win gives Hyland's side a lively outside chance of promotion going into the final round, where they will face Roscommon in Brefni Park.

Among those to impress were Corr, Martin Reilly, Martin Dunne and Gearoid McKiernan, while Declan McKiernan and Ronan Flanagan did very well when introduced.

Wicklow: J Flynn, D Power, L Benson, A Byrne, D Hayden, S Coen, D Healy, J Stafford, A McLoughlin, N Mernagh (0-3), P MacWalters, JP Dalton, S Furlong (0-5, all frees), A O'Malley (0-1), R Finn

Subs: J McGrath (0-2, one 45) for O'Malley (46 mins), P Dalton for Finn (51 mins), D Woods for MacWalters (51 mins)

Cavan: J Reilly, J Hayes, J McEnroe, O Minagh, P O'Reilly, A Clarke, J McCutcheon, T Corr (0-1), G McKiernan, C Mackey (0-1), M Reilly (0-1), N McDermott (0-1), D Givney, E Keating (0-1), M Dunne (0-7, 3f)

Subs: D McKiernan (0-1) for Keating (ht), K Meehan for Minagh (ht), R Flanagan for Hayes (50 mins), B Reilly (0-1) for Givney (55 mins)

READ 174
EMAIL
PRINT
Related Articles
22 Mar 2013
UPDATE: Further delay in hearing of McCarthy Brady case
22 Mar 2013
NFL tie in doubt due to flooding
21 Mar 2013
Local estates exempt from property tax drop from 149 to 17
20 Mar 2013
LIVE BLOG: Cavan U21 v Monaghan
Shop Local

Fitzpatrick Hire, Belturbet, Co. Cavan

Cavan Credit Union
Latest Video

Pat McKiernan in The Quiet Man, Melbourne
41  1

PhilsJemmysField

So basically we need Antrim to do Cavan two favours, to gain promotion and we beat Roscommon which will be tight enough

Team          Pld    Won    Draw    Lost    For    Against    Diff    Points
Fermanagh    6    4    1    1    94    72    22    9
Monaghan    6    4    0    2    90    68    22    8
Cavan            6    3    1    2    85    72    13    7
Roscommon    6    3    1    2    70    75    -5    7
Meath            5    3    0    2    71    74    -3    6
Antrim            5    1    2    2    67    69    -2    4
Sligo            6    1    1    4    75    92    -17    3
Wicklow            6    0    2    4    73    103    -30    2

Denn Forever

Well done Martin Dunne.  Named on the HS team of the week.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Itchy

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on March 25, 2013, 11:49:51 AM
So basically we need Antrim to do Cavan two favours, to gain promotion and we beat Roscommon which will be tight enough

Team          Pld    Won    Draw    Lost    For    Against    Diff    Points
Fermanagh    6    4    1    1    94    72    22    9
Monaghan    6    4    0    2    90    68    22    8
Cavan            6    3    1    2    85    72    13    7
Roscommon    6    3    1    2    70    75    -5    7
Meath            5    3    0    2    71    74    -3    6
Antrim            5    1    2    2    67    69    -2    4
Sligo            6    1    1    4    75    92    -17    3
Wicklow            6    0    2    4    73    103    -30    2

If meath beat antrim but lose to fermanagh and we win then we would finish above them. I reckon Fermanagh will best Meath anyway. Monaghan are playing crap by all accounts so who knows what Antrim might do there.

Itchy

What do ye think about the Givney situation lads. His form the last 2/3 games has been average at best. They clearly don't want him and mckiernan midfield together and I can understand that however I think its not really working out at off and for me Barry Reilly will be on the 40 come championship. Should he just be left in midfield or where else could he go? For me he's one of our best players and I hate to think we are not getting the best out if him.

rodney trotter

Himself and McKiernan are too attack minded for a midfield pairing. It works with Mossy Corr as he is suited to a holding role. Mckiernan would be a good half forward Imo, with Givney midfield

packiedevlin

Leave him at full forward, you seen the damage he did against Monaghan and Meath from in there. I think nearer the goals the better as his shooting from far out is more often quite poor (he gets the odd very good score) and his passing can be erratic too. Winning ball in the forward line and passing it off to incoming forwards is the way to go or have a shot if close enough.

rodney trotter

Where would you play Keating then,? He was in there because Keating was Injured.

His form with DIT at midfield was top class. He is a big threat in Full Forward, but not needed if Keating is fully fit, unless they play him with Keatinga and Dunne

packiedevlin

Ye possibly play the 3 of them in there or maybe keep Keating as a sub? The bench is nearly as important as we seen in the Sligo game,  U21 game last week and at the weekend against Wicklow.

rodney trotter

Yeah, its not bad option. Then a few u21 players will be coming into that team aswell like Jack Brady, plenty of compeitition in the forwards. Very stong panel this year.

I heard the u21 Semi against Down is in the Athletic grounds.