Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Quote from: packiedevlin on March 05, 2013, 03:10:50 PM
Lads, any thoughts on this years championship draws?

Any idea when these championships are going to be played?
It looks like senior and intermediate are knock-out, is there a back door system apart from that prelim in senior?

Does anyone get the impression that the county board are making this up as they go along?

There is no knock out, each first round/prelim loser will get a second chance.

This structure was proposed by the clubs in Cavan, if you have a problem with that you should talk to the committee of your club or even better go to the next AGM and join the committee.

packiedevlin

Thanks for clearing that up Tommy.

Since you are so wise, can you tell me when the championships will start and will they be played one after the other or all together like previous years?

rodney trotter

From Hoganstand

1343259  Breffnisbest you would have to have seen it to really believe how amateurish the whole set up was. At the start of the Senior draw the Chairman pick out a ball from the glass bowl of his own accord with being told. The MC for the night then decided to interview Kevin Reilly from the Cccc to explain the draw setup. Then the chair decided to throw the ball back into the bowl. Could only happen in Cavan 

Real make it up as they go along stuff it seems.

tommysmith

Quote from: packiedevlin on March 05, 2013, 04:21:03 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Tommy.

Since you are so wise, can you tell me when the championships will start and will they be played one after the other or all together like previous years?

The master fixture plan had only been completed until June, i think the remainder is due in the next few days.

I don't know what you mean here "will they be played one after the other or all together like previous years??"

The reserve championship will be run off in june/july and i would imagine the Senior/Intermediate/Junior will be a August start.

rodney trotter

I doubt clubs put in a structure for this to happen..

Both Cavan Gaels and Lacken have expressed their dissatisfaction over the senior football championship draw.

The sides are due to meet in a preliminary round of the championship, but given the nature of the draw they could again meet in the first round proper.

Lacken chairman Pauric Mahon stressed that they had no problem playing Cavan Gaels in the preliminary round, but added that to possibly meet them again in the first round would be unusual.

"We have no problem playing the Gaels but I thought they should have put in a provision before they made the draw that the teams couldn't meet that early in the championship," Mahon told the Anglo-Celt.

"Apparently there was no provision made for that according to the county board. It was an error they made, I'd say. I'm disappointed with it."

A Cavan Gaels source added: It's not fair on either club. I would have just thought that the winner of Game C, would have automatically dropped into the next position and the next two teams out would fulfil the fixtures."

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 06, 2013, 03:03:20 PM
I doubt clubs put in a structure for this to happen..

Thats the county boards c**k up not the clubs.

rodney trotter

I know yeah.. bizarre thing to happen.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 06, 2013, 03:08:35 PM
I know yeah.. bizarre thing to happen.

It not really fair on the clubs involved.

Westside

Do people think Keating will be picked for Sunday? The Sligo game looks increasingly tough. It's hard to see us going in at half time with such a lead for the 3rd game in a row. If we get into a war of attrition against Sligo I hope the lads can show the nerve they have done at underage and shut out a tight game.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on March 06, 2013, 06:47:53 PM
Do people think Keating will be picked for Sunday? The Sligo game looks increasingly tough. It's hard to see us going in at half time with such a lead for the 3rd game in a row. If we get into a war of attrition against Sligo I hope the lads can show the nerve they have done at underage and shut out a tight game.

He won't start anyway. I believe he is only just back training. In fact, I'd be surprised if he figured at all

rodney trotter

Wouldn't be the end of the world if Keating doesn't make it. Dunne is available again and Barry Reilly, scored a lovely point when brought on against Meath.

James McEnroe had a good game against Meath and will probaly be full back again since Rory Dunne is injured. Be interesting to see what happens when Rory Dunne is back, McEnroe's best position would be in the half back line, preferrebly centre back, but Alan Clarke has been very solid, and has that position nailed.

Westside

Monaghan U21s hammered Tyrone in the Shamrock Cup Final. This Tyrone team won the Minor All Ireland in 2010. This is going to be a very very tough first round.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on March 06, 2013, 10:21:42 PM
Monaghan U21s hammered Tyrone in the Shamrock Cup Final. This Tyrone team won the Minor All Ireland in 2010. This is going to be a very very tough first round.

I agree. I'm hoping that Monaghan showed their hand in this game and we had someone there to watch that. That Tyrone team should be decent, you would wonder if the result is a true reflection.

rodney trotter

I don't Tyrone were playing the full hand.. Harte has a lot of them playing with the seniors, and they were more than likely rested for Cork at the weekend

Although Ronan O Neill was playing, He hasn't been starting this year with the seniors, only back from Injury.

Westside

Tyrone had a strong team out rodney, the majority of the Tyrone team played on the 2010 Minor winning team. Monaghan folk are delighted with the victory and seem to be bullish about their chances in Ulster. They will go in as the underdog with nothing to lose, we are now a scalp at U21. It's going to be a very close tie, Monaghan shouldn't be underestimated.