Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

See Mark McKeever was on the Hoganstand team of the week make f that what you will.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

scoopmine

Great win always a great feeling beating your neighbours.

A lot of positives Clarke at centre back looks like he belongs there. Midfield did well and leadership was shown. Subs that came on did well even if I was nervous for Killian Clarke on Tommy Freeman. Dunne was stupid raising his hands no excuses he will get alot worse come championship. Don't think Mcutchon was as bad as it looked and he is generally not that sort of player. Felt Damien O Reilly was a great outlet never stopped showing. Givney long ball is always an option and I look forward to seeing Keating back. Centre forward is a problem and I don't think Mcderrmott is comfortable there. His positives are he does add a bigger physical aspect and generally wins ball that is given to him and Martin Reilly who again did well when he came on took his peno well.

Monaghan  were awful, bad shot selection, were very narky when they went behind and seemed to have looked past Cavan at home. Div 3 looks tight and Meath in Navan will be a huge test. But its nice to come on here and be talking positive with hope for the year ahead.

boojangles

Great win at the weekend. Lets hope they can keep it going against the real enemy in Navan. Meath are definitely beatable and there is no reason why we can't come away with a win. Division 3 is wide open. Promotion is there for whoever wants it most.

What about club action this weekend? Will pitches be fit for games?

rodney trotter

Quote from: boojangles on February 12, 2013, 10:45:05 PM
Great win at the weekend. Lets hope they can keep it going against the real enemy in Navan. Meath are definitely beatable and there is no reason why we can't come away with a win. Division 3 is wide open. Promotion is there for whoever wants it most.

What about club action this weekend? Will pitches be fit for games?

They wouldn't be in great shape, suppose to be giving rain for the weekend. I heard the Club League's in Tyrone don't start until the second week in April, 2 months after Cavan.

rodney trotter

I'd like to clear this is if the Celt is reading, When i mentioned Antrim were missing a few players against us, I said that as we were also  missing players like keating, Tierney,Flanagan,McEnroe. I was reading Hoganstand before the game and it looked like all we had to do was turn up, they are a good side and it was always going to be hard to beat them in Belfast.

Fully behind the Cavan team, I be positive most of the time about Cavan. Not telling people not to attend the league games like a certain poster on Hoganstand.

tommysmith

rodney trotter

I don't think I will ever comment on here again if Cavan lose, be taken out of context and make the Celt..

Club action this weekend, Be interesting to see how Cullivan gets on with Lavey. His first year not involved with a County panel, on the Senior panel since he was 18/19 year after the Co Minors.. Key player with Dcu for a few years too. A fully fully focused Cullivan would be a great addition for Lavey. Could work his way back onto the Senior panel aswell, he has the talent.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: tommysmith on February 13, 2013, 06:33:24 PM
He at in again in celt  ;D

I also heard that he went on another rant about faceless internet posters in this weeks Tommy .  ;D
I bet he actually thinks that "quoting" some of us in the celt annoy's or irritate's us to some degree.
The fact is,none of us on this board abuse or criticise individual players or members of management on a personal level.
We are entitled to discuss the negative and positive aspects of performances,both team and individual and to air our views on the performance of the management.
He doesn't seem able to understand the difference between those.
I know you will read this post, so Paul why don't you log on using your very well known username and converse with us again????

As for the game. I was delighted with Saturday night. The tactics,team selection etc were all spot on. The workrate was fantastic and we played some very good football in parts. Losing Martin Dunne for Meath is a big disappointment but hopefully Keating and Kevin Tierney will be back for Navan in 2 and a half weeks. It will be interesting to see Hylands team selection when he has a full deck to choose from.
I assumed like many others that Killian Clarke would be his first choice full-back,but i can see him sticking with Rory Dunneso whereabouts he will accomodate Clarke is the question. I was delighted for Alan Clarke who gave a terrific performance at CHB.  Damien Reily has also really established himself as an Intercounty quality player.  I also wonder could we perhaps see Jack Brady in the half back line against Meath in place of the suspended McCutcheon,Niall Moyna obviously sees something if he has Jack at CHB on a star-studded DCU Sigerson team.  Keating and Tierney's return from injury could allow him that oppertunity.

tommysmith

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 14, 2013, 12:33:56 AM
Quote from: tommysmith on February 13, 2013, 06:33:24 PM
He at in again in celt  ;D

I also heard that he went on another rant about faceless internet posters in this weeks Tommy .  ;D
I bet he actually thinks that "quoting" some of us in the celt annoy's or irritate's us to some degree.
The fact is,none of us on this board abuse or criticise individual players or members of management on a personal level.
We are entitled to discuss the negative and positive aspects of performances,both team and individual and to air our views on the performance of the management.
He doesn't seem able to understand the difference between those.
I know you will read this post, so Paul why don't you log on using your very well known username and converse with us again????

As for the game. I was delighted with Saturday night. The tactics,team selection etc were all spot on. The workrate was fantastic and we played some very good football in parts. Losing Martin Dunne for Meath is a big disappointment but hopefully Keating and Kevin Tierney will be back for Navan in 2 and a half weeks. It will be interesting to see Hylands team selection when he has a full deck to choose from.
I assumed like many others that Killian Clarke would be his first choice full-back,but i can see him sticking with Rory Dunneso whereabouts he will accomodate Clarke is the question. I was delighted for Alan Clarke who gave a terrific performance at CHB.  Damien Reily has also really established himself as an Intercounty quality player.  I also wonder could we perhaps see Jack Brady in the half back line against Meath in place of the suspended McCutcheon,Niall Moyna obviously sees something if he has Jack at CHB on a star-studded DCU Sigerson team.  Keating and Tierney's return from injury could allow him that oppertunity.

I bet he does not sleep at night he is sittting in his office at the celt hitting F5 looking for a reaction from us, (They dont have broadband in redhills). 

Nice bit of scoring power to come back in  :)

mylestheslasher

Here you go to anyone who didnt read what was written on almost half a page in the Celt this week.

Memo to those who lurk in internet forums – man up or shut up please.
Cavan county board chairman Tom Reilly and his committee should speak to some of the faceless internet experts – they know all the answers, writes Anglo-Celt Sports editor Paul Fitzpatrick.

The Internet is another country; they do things differently there. It would make you wonder. Why do ordinarily sane punters turn into abusive, angry, bewildered lunatics, foaming at the mouth with a righteous rage, their plan of attack just that – an all-out offensive?
They are like the viscous drunk we all know, who changes when the liquor is in. It's a case of "with keyboard veritas" to coin the phrase. Of course, it's not the effect of sitting down at a computer or with a smartphone that creates this altered state of mind; rather it's the drug of anonymity.
Unhappy with how others perceive you in real life? No problem, switch your attentions to a made-up world and live vicariously through an online persona.
I have no problem with fair comment online but personal criticism(when the "alligator", as a famous politician once said, hasn't the courage to put their own name on it) is cowardly and unfair. Cavan footballers and management would surely agree – in fact, I know they do, because they have said so privately.
After the Antrim game, we ran some of the online comments in a panel under the heading "what the internet pundits say". The reaction was amazing. It was lazy journalism, suggested one nameless poster. Others were clearly alarmed at being quoted, possibly because the fact that their very public utterances were printed in a newspaper meant that they had to stand over them, just as I and anyone else who writes in a newspaper does.
Journos get plenty of vitriol, but they can hack it, no pun intended, and secretely, in a lot of cases, probably enjoy the attention. But players, who train as hard as any professional sportsmen for little or no return, and managers, who try as best they can to turn out winning teams, often feel the brunt of it.
Where am I going with all this? Well, as usual, there was an online Armageddon last week following Cavans defeat to Antrim. Forget the fact that the Saffrons routed us in our own castle last April, Cavan were expected to go to Belfast and win last Sunday week. Nothing less or the keyboard warriors wouldn't be happy.
Of course, they didn't win, but it wasn't for want of trying. Antrim have had the upper hand for a few years and the home advantage. Cavan were missing a few important men, trying out new tactics and positioning of players. They competed well, and they were in a winning position, but didn't close it out.
And the internet experts? Well there were about 600 punters in total at the game, most of whom were from Antrim. The majority of those who lurk in online message boards, then, weren't at the match about which they were commenting.
Amid all the guff, however, (and I didn't go through it all, life is too short to hang on the ramblings of the semi-literate and anonymous) there was one morsel of wisdom.
"Every time we lose" noted one poster, I think, on the gaaboard.com web-site,  "we try to re-invent the wheel" Bang! Spot on. A rare diamond in the rough.
Cavan lost to Antrim – on another day, maybe with another referee, we'd have beaten them. What does that mean? It means we lost by 2 points and needed to beat Monaghan so as not to come under pressure. Nothing more, nothing less.
That doesn't mean Cavan need a new manager, or to bring back old players or drop young ones, or any reaction of that type. We're coming from a low base, having won – going into last Saturdays game – six matches in league and championship from the last 20. "Monaghan", we wrote in the programme last Saturday, "will bring huge enegery and confidence after their fantastic win over Meath last week. In Malachy O Rourke, they have one of the best managers in the game, and they have a potent blend of experience, scoring power, physique and young talent.
"But, to use a cliché, it's a local derby, and results which run counter to the form book are common in those fixtures. Cavan are at home and, as Michael Hannon pointed out in a recent mostly football column in the Anglo-Celt, that's worth a 5% boost. An extra game under Cavans belts will bring them up another notch and if Terry Hylands troops can hold their focus for the full 70 minutes – Cavan haven't done that in years – they will be very hard to beat. And if everything does come right and the season is not so much salvaged as steered back on course, even the internet pundits might be happy. And pigs might fly, too" They weren't happy of course. One person who posts under their real name wrote to question whether the piece was accusing him of idiocy (it wasn't – he has the cojones to put his name to his words). Another supporter emailed saying "well done – it had to be said". And the chorus line had it that your correspondent "let the Celt down"
It was all to be expected. The rules of the engagement, you see, aren't fair. Write in a newspaper and you must be able to back it up, meet those you praise or criticise on the street; hide behind a made up moniker on an internet forum and you can libel individuals, cast aspersions and spit out whatever vitriol comes into your head, without fear or repercussions.
There are some very knowledgeable posters on message boards, and often there are those with more-than-tenuous links to the team (and Val Andrews even suggested that some were actually members of the panel itself). The question is, though, in an age of social media, just what do these fellas have to hide?

tommysmith

1. O'Mara
2. Barkey
3. Dunne
4. Minagh
5. Hayes
6. Clarke
7. O'Reilly
8. Corr
9. McKeirnan
10. Mackey
11. McDermott
12. McKeever
13  Givney
14. Keating
15. Brady

I would like to see a team like that start against Meath.

CC1

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 14, 2013, 11:03:43 AM
Here you go to anyone who didnt read what was written on almost half a page in the Celt this week.

Memo to those who lurk in internet forums – man up or shut up please.
Cavan county board chairman Tom Reilly and his committee should speak to some of the faceless internet experts – they know all the answers, writes Anglo-Celt Sports editor Paul Fitzpatrick.

The Internet is another country; they do things differently there. It would make you wonder. Why do ordinarily sane punters turn into abusive, angry, bewildered lunatics, foaming at the mouth with a righteous rage, their plan of attack just that – an all-out offensive?
They are like the viscous drunk we all know, who changes when the liquor is in. It's a case of "with keyboard veritas" to coin the phrase. Of course, it's not the effect of sitting down at a computer or with a smartphone that creates this altered state of mind; rather it's the drug of anonymity.
Unhappy with how others perceive you in real life? No problem, switch your attentions to a made-up world and live vicariously through an online persona.
I have no problem with fair comment online but personal criticism(when the "alligator", as a famous politician once said, hasn't the courage to put their own name on it) is cowardly and unfair. Cavan footballers and management would surely agree – in fact, I know they do, because they have said so privately.
After the Antrim game, we ran some of the online comments in a panel under the heading "what the internet pundits say". The reaction was amazing. It was lazy journalism, suggested one nameless poster. Others were clearly alarmed at being quoted, possibly because the fact that their very public utterances were printed in a newspaper meant that they had to stand over them, just as I and anyone else who writes in a newspaper does.
Journos get plenty of vitriol, but they can hack it, no pun intended, and secretely, in a lot of cases, probably enjoy the attention. But players, who train as hard as any professional sportsmen for little or no return, and managers, who try as best they can to turn out winning teams, often feel the brunt of it.
Where am I going with all this? Well, as usual, there was an online Armageddon last week following Cavans defeat to Antrim. Forget the fact that the Saffrons routed us in our own castle last April, Cavan were expected to go to Belfast and win last Sunday week. Nothing less or the keyboard warriors wouldn't be happy.
Of course, they didn't win, but it wasn't for want of trying. Antrim have had the upper hand for a few years and the home advantage. Cavan were missing a few important men, trying out new tactics and positioning of players. They competed well, and they were in a winning position, but didn't close it out.
And the internet experts? Well there were about 600 punters in total at the game, most of whom were from Antrim. The majority of those who lurk in online message boards, then, weren't at the match about which they were commenting.
Amid all the guff, however, (and I didn't go through it all, life is too short to hang on the ramblings of the semi-literate and anonymous) there was one morsel of wisdom.
"Every time we lose" noted one poster, I think, on the gaaboard.com web-site,  "we try to re-invent the wheel" Bang! Spot on. A rare diamond in the rough.
Cavan lost to Antrim – on another day, maybe with another referee, we'd have beaten them. What does that mean? It means we lost by 2 points and needed to beat Monaghan so as not to come under pressure. Nothing more, nothing less.
That doesn't mean Cavan need a new manager, or to bring back old players or drop young ones, or any reaction of that type. We're coming from a low base, having won – going into last Saturdays game – six matches in league and championship from the last 20. "Monaghan", we wrote in the programme last Saturday, "will bring huge enegery and confidence after their fantastic win over Meath last week. In Malachy O Rourke, they have one of the best managers in the game, and they have a potent blend of experience, scoring power, physique and young talent.
"But, to use a cliché, it's a local derby, and results which run counter to the form book are common in those fixtures. Cavan are at home and, as Michael Hannon pointed out in a recent mostly football column in the Anglo-Celt, that's worth a 5% boost. An extra game under Cavans belts will bring them up another notch and if Terry Hylands troops can hold their focus for the full 70 minutes – Cavan haven't done that in years – they will be very hard to beat. And if everything does come right and the season is not so much salvaged as steered back on course, even the internet pundits might be happy. And pigs might fly, too" They weren't happy of course. One person who posts under their real name wrote to question whether the piece was accusing him of idiocy (it wasn't – he has the cojones to put his name to his words). Another supporter emailed saying "well done – it had to be said". And the chorus line had it that your correspondent "let the Celt down"
It was all to be expected. The rules of the engagement, you see, aren't fair. Write in a newspaper and you must be able to back it up, meet those you praise or criticise on the street; hide behind a made up moniker on an internet forum and you can libel individuals, cast aspersions and spit out whatever vitriol comes into your head, without fear or repercussions.
There are some very knowledgeable posters on message boards, and often there are those with more-than-tenuous links to the team (and Val Andrews even suggested that some were actually members of the panel itself). The question is, though, in an age of social media, just what do these fellas have to hide?
He's absolutely spot on with that article in fairness.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Itchy

Quote from: tommysmith on February 14, 2013, 12:55:18 PM
1. O'Mara
2. Barkey
3. Dunne
4. Minagh
5. Hayes
6. Clarke
7. O'Reilly
8. Corr
9. McKeirnan
10. Mackey
11. McDermott
12. McKeever
13  Givney
14. Keating
15. Brady

I would like to see a team like that start against Meath.
According to the Celt, we are thinking of an appeal of the Dinner red card. It would be a big plus to have him for Meath. Keating also will be back I hear to we could be in with a chance although it will be very tough to win in navan

tommysmith

Right CC1 he might be right, but do you think he would have wrote it if we had of praised him last Wednesday and Thursday and said it was a great idea to quote posts for message boards?

CC1

Quote from: tommysmith on February 14, 2013, 10:53:31 PM
Right CC1 he might be right, but do you think he would have wrote it if we had of praised him last Wednesday and Thursday and said it was a great idea to quote posts for message boards?
I don't think he would have, but that isn't the point. He isn't the first journalist and he most certainly won't be the last to quote a public forum, it happens constantly with other websites like Boards.ie too. Regardless of what we think of his journalism style in this case, he does raise some very valid points which are in my view a big issue with Cavan football at the moment. So much so that a Cavan manager commented on it at one stage.

Anonymous agendas on forums are rife within this county and it has come to the point where something had to be said (again). Some of the things you see on forums after games are nothing short of disgraceful, they create a bad vibe which obviously offers nothing to the Cavan set up.

I can think of one poster in particular from the last year and a half that was on a complete witch hunt against Val Andrews and then continued to target the new manager. Thankfully that poster is no longer around, however when one goes, another usually pops up to take the mantle. People like this are accepted on internet forums despite the fact that if they said such personal things in a public house or wherever they would be thrown out.

At the end of it all, we all must remember that the GAA is an amateur sport, everyone is involved because of their love for the game and everyone wants to be successful. Nobody deserves such abuse, let alone an agenda against their name for committing their time to help Cavan (or any county for that matter) become a better team.

Supporters should be there, as the word suggests, to support the team. If you don't do this then you are just a critic, and unless you are at every match, challenge match, training session and played/managed the game at the highest level like these guys have then you cannot possibly imagine the amount of effort it takes to become successful. This is why I don't have a lot of time for journalists that criticise a team when they do not have the experience to qualify their arguments. This may apply to Fitzpatrick in certain instances where he may have been critical in the past, but his article last week was spot on. We are all guilty of this at some point, but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.

I am all for free speech and for people being allowed to have their say as they pay at the gate and they are well within their rights to share their joy or disappointment. However, criticism should be left for the people who have knowledge of the game, the team and the county set up. Personal criticism shouldn't be accepted anywhere with regard to the sport.

Again, lines should not be crossed, and people need to be reminded that managers and players are doing this for their love of the game, because they are not getting much else out of it other than what they have earned themselves. Just leave the personal stuff out of it, support the team and try to enjoy it whether the results are good or bad, because that is what being a supporter is all about.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."