Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: trim blue on July 13, 2007, 08:02:28 PM
B'Haiseman is that a son of the '80's Joe Dillon you mentioned?

Ive been told it is his son TB.But i could be wrong,id imagine hes related anyway,cant be too many Dillons around K'Court  ;D

trim blue

Both Barry Tierney and Joe Dillon would have played for Cavan together at some point, from what I remember Tierney had huge skill but lacked a little pace (might have been the illness you mentioned) Cavan team was pretty dire at the time too but even at that I dont think he was given a proper shot at it, great to hear his young lad is showing promise, Dillon for me was a legend and reminded me a bit of Willie Joe Padden, small for midfield but jaysus what a leap, always gave 100% too, things are getting bad when you start remembering the '80's with a degree of fondness.. ::)
ah sure tog out anyway

maverick

Was just at the Clough - Gowna game. Bad game gowna won by 2 but Clough could have snatched it.No sign Gallagher looks like he is finished with Cavan football for this year at lest

cavanmaniac

Mayo getting a spanking above in Derry really puts our senior team in perspective. We couldn't beat a Down team subsequently dumped on by Monaghan and held to a single point from play by Meath, and then concede 20 scores and manage ten against a team that then score 1-6 against Derry. :-[

It's time to ask a serious question. Has the senior intercounty team in Cavan ever been as low as it is now? We truly are desperate although I guess the run of six championship campaigns pre-McHugh without a win or whatever it was, was probably worse. In hindsight the last chance we had of making any sort of impression was when Coleman was in charge and there was some semblance of unity and pattern to the side. For the '97 crew, Coleman's tenure was last-chance for them, they've gone over the hill and slipped badly since. When they finally pack it in, and you'd only want Dermot and Forde to stick around really, we really will be fucked entirely.

We're an absolute dead loss and it's hard enough to see things changing in the medium term. After Keogan's first season you'd be less confident about our prospects especially given the continuing uneven fitness levels in the camp and no apparent input from Grimley as regards a definitive, identifiable gameplan. Promotion and team spirit aside, it's been a sloppy enough year overall. The optimistic side of me hopes Keogan has learned good lessons in his rookie year and might get hardline with the less committed elements in the dressing room but I doubt it seeing as he has by all accounts indulged them thus far. Sligo, Monaghan's and Meath's upturn in fortunes down to sheer hard work and commitment contrasts sharply with our guys cutting corners in training, pissing off in mid-season and other guys simply not caring or being inspired enough about the county team to actually join the panel. There's just no pride or prestige in the players, no sense of mission surrounding our county side. I hope I'm wrong but I haven't seen anything dramatic from the maagement this year to suggest that this will change.

More than ever, our only chance is for the youth and at minors and 21s, we have to pour everything into underage but our track record there is equally lamentable despite years of investment. Once again we're reduced to hoping against hope, I really can't recall things ever looking so bad or personaly feeling so glum about the whole thing. :(

Blue06

Only positives from the year were the unbeaten league run which ended up in promotion to the new Div 2 and there appeared to be a better spirit in the team this year, didn't lie down as they had previously.

I have seen somewhere Keogan quoted as saying that he and the mgt team have been shocked by the attitude of certain members of the panel and they will not be there next year.  He said he wasn't referring to the Chicago 3 either. 
Lets hope theres action here rather than idle talk.

I was one of few on the board here last year backing Keogan for the job (mainly because I had little confidence in the other options) and think he should be let at it again next year.  This decision should be made by the CB asap so work can start now.

The same decisions should be made now for both U21 & minor so that team mgt can see players playing during the club championships.

We are away behind so the only way the catch up in the short term is to work harder than the rest. 
As the Gallant John Joe was once quoted "You don't get fit playing football, you have to be fit to play football".

When Down won the All Ireland in'94 they started training the week after Derry hammered them in Newry '93.  Now I know we are not even thinking of AIs but the determination to get competitive again should be there. 
Hence a squad should be put together as early as possible so that fitness for 70 mins championship football should not be an issue.

mylestheslasher

I think Keoghan should set up trials for the county team as soon as the club championships are over and that everyone should be made attend and I am including the current senior panel. Some of these boys obviously think they are on the county team for life and have some god given right to it. We need to do something to show these players they are not half as important as they think they are. In Roy Keanes book he described how Brian Clough kept his feet on the ground by making him clean the 1st team player boots even though he was making 1st team appearances himself - so he never lost sight that he was still an apprentice and still had to work to earn the right to be a 1st team regular. I think a trial could be the GAA equivalent of such action. From what I hear Pearson will be getting the boot next year - it is a shame but if he isn't going to give it everything there is no place for him. The damage players like that do to young lads coming onto the panel is huge - they need to be removed from the panel.

I wasn't in favour of having keoghan as manager simply as he is not a good example to players. But there is no point in removing him now, especially since no one with any nouse would be interested in the job anyhow.

As for the club championships I am going, predictably for

Senior - Gaels
Intermediate - Ballinagh
Junior - Killeshandra

cavanmaniac

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 16, 2007, 11:09:51 AM
I think Keoghan should set up trials for the county team as soon as the club championships are over and that everyone should be made attend and I am including the current senior panel. Some of these boys obviously think they are on the county team for life and have some god given right to it.

My thoughts exactly. There is an almost ridiculous sense of entitlement among some of our county players and a grossly over exaggerrated sense of importance about some of them, despite their abject failure to realise their potential either individually or as a team. It almost makes me laugh when I see these guys with one Ulster medal or whatever thinking they're somehow bigger than the county team that they are there to serve - not the other way round - and believing they are untouchable. For too long a string of managers have given these guys the notion that they they will be accommodated no matter what their sins because the county can't afford to do without them. Result: Lazy bastards swinging the lead, the tail wagging the dog and senior guys setting a poor example to others.

In short, the county team can ill afford to carry malcontent trouble makers like these and the sooner we go back to the drawing board and start again with young players, the better. I'll gladly take a few years in lower divisions and another few poor championships if we have a good committed and solid team at the end of it. The way we're going now, we're going nowhere so something radical has to be done and tough decisions taken with the longer term view in mind.

Blue06

Club championship predictions.

Senior : Gaels to coast it & eventually make a serious impact on the Ulster Club

Intermediate: Drumgoon to return to Senior straight away

Junior: I ll go for Shercock

Hollow Man

I think we need to wield the axe, Charlie Mulgrew style.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Blue06 on July 16, 2007, 12:06:47 AM
Only positives from the year were the unbeaten league run which ended up in promotion to the new Div 2 and there appeared to be a better spirit in the team this year, didn't lie down as they had previously.

I have seen somewhere Keogan quoted as saying that he and the mgt team have been shocked by the attitude of certain members of the panel and they will not be there next year.  He said he wasn't referring to the Chicago 3 either. 
Lets hope theres action here rather than idle talk.

I was one of few on the board here last year backing Keogan for the job (mainly because I had little confidence in the other options) and think he should be let at it again next year.  This decision should be made by the CB asap so work can start now.

The same decisions should be made now for both U21 & minor so that team mgt can see players playing during the club championships.

We are away behind so the only way the catch up in the short term is to work harder than the rest. 
As the Gallant John Joe was once quoted "You don't get fit playing football, you have to be fit to play football".

When Down won the All Ireland in'94 they started training the week after Derry hammered them in Newry '93.  Now I know we are not even thinking of AIs but the determination to get competitive again should be there. 
Hence a squad should be put together as early as possible so that fitness for 70 mins championship football should not be an issue.

When did Donal become shocked at the attitude of certain members of the panel-last November, March, June????? I'm assuming fellas didn't become shocking the closer the championship came, I'm presuming whatever shocked Donal was self evident at an early stage which kind of begs the question why wait till next year to deal with it. One of the reasons constantly put forward for Donal getting the job was that he knows Cavan football and knows the players by extension. How exactly did he get himself into a position where he was shocked by some of the carry on? Did he not have a fair idea of the characters on the panel before he came in and if not what does this say about the mans knowledge of the local scene. Strange and depressing

Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

maverick

QuoteWhen did Donal become shocked at the attitude of certain members of the panel-last November, March, June?Huh? I'm assuming fellas didn't become shocking the closer the championship came, I'm presuming whatever shocked Donal was self evident at an early stage which kind of begs the question why wait till next year to deal with it. One of the reasons constantly put forward for Donal getting the job was that he knows Cavan football and knows the players by extension. How exactly did he get himself into a position where he was shocked by some of the carry on? Did he not have a fair idea of the characters on the panel before he came in and if not what does this say about the mans knowledge of the local scene. Strange and depressing

in fairness, i'd say its probably the opposite, as it gets closer to championship players get titchy and they probably reveal their real personalities, attitude problems come to the surface as tensions rise. despite what we might think about a footballer you only really know them when you have to work with them. I''ve heard a few stories about some of the county players that would strike me as out of character, certain lads have a bit of the prima donna about them. others that you would think had this attitude are more committed and willing to make sacrifices.

SuperHans

Lads we are headin down to breffni to watch the Derry game.Will it be worth it stayin in Cavan town that nite? Whats the nightlife like,ne good clubs or ne were cheap to stay the nite?

cavanmaniac

The Imperial (owned by current Cavan boss) and the Farnham Arms are both fairly popular nightspots and are pretty busy of a weekend, you could do worse to head there after a few pints in more traditional spots like the Cruiscin Lan, Black Horse and so on. Being a local, have never had any need of somewhere to stay but I'm sure a few here will help you out on that score...

SuperHans

Cheers Maniac, sounds good.we are tempted about monaghan town aswell.
You know any farmers who will let us throw a tent up in a field? Alternatively ne B & BS?

mylestheslasher

IMO Monaghan is a shit hole. Went there on a stag once and was made feel like a black man at a KKK convention! There are a few B&Bs on the outskirts of Cavan town but there would be much more in the surrounding towns like Butlersbridge, Belturbet and Killeshandra as they cater more for fishermen. In cavan you are probably best to look at Kilmore hotel or Cavan Crystal Hotel, unless some of the other lads have a better idea.