Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

I don't think Cavan would have got such a thumping from Kildare last July if there was more experience in the defence. Don't think we would have beaten Kildare or anything like that, but I think it might have been more competitive. It was clear as day that a few players that started that day weren't fully ready for Senior Football.

John McCutcheon, Alan Clarke, Damian Barkey, are all very consistent players at Club level. Rory Dunne is a very good full back and has been very unfortunate with injuries in the last 2 years, and Oisin Moynagh was injured last year too. 5 out of the 6 from defence  that will play Antrim,weren't playing against Kildare.

Hopefully Cavan can get a result Sunday, McKeever will probaly drop back in the half forward line, with a 2 man ff line of Dunne and McDermott. It will be far from easy. Keating is a loss as a target man, I think McDermott is capable of upping his performance.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 01, 2013, 03:45:19 PM
I don't think Cavan would have got such a thumping from Kildare last July if there was more experience in the defence. Don't think we would have beaten Kildare or anything like that, but I think it might have been more competitive. It was clear as day that a few players that started that day weren't fully ready for Senior Football.

John McCutcheon, Alan Clarke, Damian Barkey, are all very consistent players at Club level. Rory Dunne is a very good full back and has been very unfortunate with injuries in the last 2 years, and Oisin Moynagh was injured last year too. 5 out of the 6 from defence  that will play Antrim,weren't playing against Kildare.

Hopefully Cavan can get a result Sunday, McKeever will probaly drop back in the half forward line, with a 2 man ff line of Dunne and McDermott. It will be far from easy. Keating is a loss as a target man, I think McDermott is capable of upping his performance.

He needs to we have to have more of a scoring threat in the forwards, keating is big loss i wonder will Givney go inside anyway.

rodney trotter

Yeah not sure if that team will be as selected, Corr might yet start. Givney would be a great player in the full forward line, he was tried there with Keating in the Fiztsimons Cup before Christmass.

tommysmith

What other midfielder or player capable of playing midfield on panel other than declan mckiernan?

rodney trotter

John McCucheon plays midfield with Cootehill, probaly his best position.

Westside

I'm really not sure about playing Givney inside. I would be afraid it would just turn our game plan into us hoofing the ball in on top of him, once the Antrim defence becomes wise to it they'll put the shackles on him.

Westside

http://anglocelt.ie/sport/gaelicfootball/articles/2013/01/31/4014184-mostly-football-its-not-make-or-break-but-league-opener-will-tell-a-talebr/

Hannon's view on what will happen. Givney played on the edge of the square v Dr. Crokes I see. It would be strange then if he didn't line out in the same position v Antrim

rodney trotter

Quote from: Westside on February 01, 2013, 06:19:54 PM
I'm really not sure about playing Givney inside. I would be afraid it would just turn our game plan into us hoofing the ball in on top of him, once the Antrim defence becomes wise to it they'll put the shackles on him.

It would suit a player like Martin Dunne to feed off Giveny. Givney is around 6f 3 a great fielder and can score. Cavan need somebody in there since Keatingh is injured.

cavanmaniac

Good luck to all against Antrim. Fingers crossed we get off to a good start, not just for the league and season in general but because for Hyland's project in the wider sense. The championship was a honeymoon period for all concerned, now the team needs to make some sort of moves.

Westside

Clarke starts instead of Barkey.. Odd decision.

Westside

Lost by 2, bad start to the year, it was a tough fixture but they are all tough this year. Disappointing to see Clarke and Jack out there, especially after Terry specifically said he wouldn't be playing U21s. I think we'll find it very difficult to stay up now.

rodney trotter

Monaghan beat Meath 1-18 to 2-3, they will be high on confidence next week.

BallyhaiseMan

Poor start. Monaghan is a must win next week. I don't want to hear any more excuses about "youth" and "team-building " and all that other bollox that has been repeated constantly for the last 18 months  coming from the camp. We need to see a big improvement starting next week.

tommysmith

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 03, 2013, 04:01:20 PM
Poor start. Monaghan is a must win next week. I don't want to hear any more excuses about "youth" and "team-building " and all that other bollox that has been repeated constantly for the last 18 months  coming from the camp. We need to see a big improvement starting next week.

I'd be afraid of a hammering next weekend.

rodney trotter

Eugene Keating was the only regular missing,along with Ronan Flanagan. But Ronans form wasn't great last year with Cavan, didn't help being switched about a lot, to playing corner back for a few  games in the League to starting Centre Forward in the Championship against Donegal.

Antrims were missing 4 regulars. Including Tomas McCann who is probaly their best forward. Givney will have to start at midfield next week, target man role didn't work that well. Monaghan are strong at midfield with Dick Clerkin and Eoin Lennon, Cavan can't afford to be cleaned out again in the middle.