Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

I think it is a good thing that they lost. Imagine if they had won by 5/6 points! Hammering Leitrim and then comfortable wins against Offaly and Longford would have increased the chances of them being complacent against Monaghan. I think Monaghan will be ready to ambush us and that lose might be what is needed to keep us focused on the job at hand.

We seem to have made a lot of subs early in the 2nd half so also maybe part of the problem was giving so many lads a run out? At the end of the day its Ulster we want to win and no one is really too bothered about the Hastings cup.

rodney trotter

A defeat like that can be a wake up call. Cavan were the better side on Saturday, it was only the last 10 minutes when longford got on top. Cavan were 5 ahead and should have been more.

I think Cavan will have a lot stronger team for the Championship game against Monaghan. Gerard Smith, Joe Dillon, Dara Sexton (played well when he came on) will all be in the team or close to it Imo. Turloch Mooney will hopefully have made a full recovery by then, and Conor Moynagh should also be in the reckoning after having surgery on the shoulder Injury.

Jason Mclaughlin was playing against Leitrim so I'd imagine he will be around as well. Be arranged to be flown back.

6 players to come into the side.

scoopmine

Gerard Smith, Joe Dillon, Turloch Mooney and Connor Moynagh will all hopefully be back come championship and that will make a big difference. Better to lose the Hastings and be tuned in come championship than heads in the sky..

Itchy

Is Mooney in the U21 plans this year as there has been no sign of him yet? How fit can he be if he is not training due to injury?

rodney trotter

Quote from: Itchy on January 21, 2013, 04:51:22 PM
Is Mooney in the U21 plans this year as there has been no sign of him yet? How fit can he be if he is not training due to injury?

Hard to know how fit he can be, Oisn Moynagh didn't play any football at all last year with Redhills through injury and is now back on the Cavan panel.

I'd say Mooney is in the plans alright, but just easing him back. Still 2 months till the Championship game against Monaghan.

s__words

Posted by: rodney trotter
« on: January 18, 2013, 11:41:07 PM » Insert Quote

Quote from: s__words on January 18, 2013, 11:34:07 PM
Don't forget that there were a few other lads at the time who also 'weren't wanted' but are now on the county panel.One actually played against SJ last summer, think this tells you all you need to know about SJ's reasons for leaving.

Sheridan,Mackey,Lyng,Nesty,Cahill and Johnston were the 6 dropped by Andrews, Johnston wouldn't have played against any of them last summer. As none were on the panel.

I think you'll find it was widely reported at the time that James Reilly was one of the original six who were dropped and not Cahill.I'm only going on what was reported as I don't have any inside knowledge of what went on at the time or who was actually dropped or what they were told.

rodney trotter

Quote from: s__words on January 21, 2013, 05:30:40 PM
Posted by: rodney trotter
« on: January 18, 2013, 11:41:07 PM » Insert Quote

Quote from: s__words on January 18, 2013, 11:34:07 PM
Don't forget that there were a few other lads at the time who also 'weren't wanted' but are now on the county panel.One actually played against SJ last summer, think this tells you all you need to know about SJ's reasons for leaving.

Sheridan,Mackey,Lyng,Nesty,Cahill and Johnston were the 6 dropped by Andrews, Johnston wouldn't have played against any of them last summer. As none were on the panel.

I think you'll find it was widely reported at the time that James Reilly was one of the original six who were dropped and not Cahill.I'm only going on what was reported as I don't have any inside knowledge of what went on at the time or who was actually dropped or what they were told.

Well that just isn't true. James Reilly played in the  National League last year against Wexford. He hadn't been part of the panel until then because of work commitments. Keith Fannin had been Keeper in the McKenna Cup.

Those were the 6 players dropped, I will show you a few newspaper articles as evidence.

rodney trotter

http://hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=157687

I think that's where all the talk of James Reilly being dropped started, which was obviously a mix up as it was clearly Martin Cahill who had been dropped.

Johnston, Cahill, Sheridan,Lyng,Mackey and Nesty were the 6 players dropped and didn't play any football with Cavan in 2012.

s__words

OK Rodney,but that link does not say he wasn't dropped. Setanta.com also posted the following
http://edit.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/11/09/Andrews-culls-Cavan-squad/gnid-116982/

GAA website also posted after Andrews was shoved that James was as one of the lads he dropped

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/2/1204121632-andrews-steps-down-as-cavan-boss/1/

The fact is as there's doubt whether Miller was dropped or not, then can we really assume that the others were also dropped . Have you spoken to all players involved and the management? because if not we're therefore relying on third hand information and everyone knows how stories grow legs and lose truth as it transfers from one person to the next.
So was Miller dropped at the time or was he not?

rodney trotter

Quote from: s__words on January 21, 2013, 11:54:51 PM
OK Rodney,but that link does not say he wasn't dropped. Setanta.com also posted the following
http://edit.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/11/09/Andrews-culls-Cavan-squad/gnid-116982/

GAA website also posted after Andrews was shoved that James was as one of the lads he dropped

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/2/1204121632-andrews-steps-down-as-cavan-boss/1/

The fact is as there's doubt whether Miller was dropped or not, then can we really assume that the others were also dropped . Have you spoken to all players involved and the management? because if not we're therefore relying on third hand information and everyone knows how stories grow legs and lose truth as it transfers from one person to the next.

Why can you not just let it go... James Reilly left the Cavan panel before because of work bef Commitments before under Tommy Carr. He is a builder and work comes first. He was working in Dublin that time under Andrews and was able to make the commute  down for training 4/5 nights a week , for the few weeks in Januray

What do you think yourself, is it not obvious . Why would he drop him and call him back for the first game in the League, Wise Up.

The others who were actually dropped were never called under Val Andrews. and didn't play for Cavan in 2012.

rodney trotter

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 22, 2013, 12:03:19 AM
Quote from: s__words on January 21, 2013, 11:54:51 PM

Why can you not just let it go... James Reilly left the Cavan panel before because of work bef Commitments before under Tommy Carr. He is a builder and work comes first. He was working in Dublin that time under Andrews and was NOT able to make the commute  down for training 4/5 nights a week , for the few weeks in Januray

What do you think yourself, is it not obvious . Why would he drop him and call him back for the first game in the League, Wise Up.

The others who were actually dropped were never called under Val Andrews. and didn't play for Cavan in 2012.

Itchy

Well there is a point there that s_words has.

Firstly, the whole panel was disbanded and then a new panel was called in of which 6 were not on it from the previous panel. You might say the 6 were dropped or maybe you might say they didn't make the panel for some reason.

6 lads did not make the panel (leaving Miller aside). There is nothing to suggest they were all left off for the same reason. I know for a fact one of them was left of as he wouldn't have been able to commit to it at the correct level - Hyland then asked this guy to come back and he couldn't come back for the same reasons he was left off. I was told another of them was left off to get over recurring injuries. The other 4 I don't know but I assume there were reasons and that Andrews didn't decide to cut off his nose to spite his face. I also don't accept at all that there was no way back for these players either. Andrews was not likely to last either so anyone who upped and left did so for other reasons as I have said before as a new manager would have a different view on things

Anyway - its ancient history

rodney trotter

Quote from: Itchy on January 22, 2013, 12:16:08 PM
Well there is a point there that s_words has.

Firstly, the whole panel was disbanded and then a new panel was called in of which 6 were not on it from the previous panel. You might say the 6 were dropped or maybe you might say they didn't make the panel for some reason.

6 lads did not make the panel (leaving Miller aside). There is nothing to suggest they were all left off for the same reason. I know for a fact one of them was left of as he wouldn't have been able to commit to it at the correct level - Hyland then asked this guy to come back and he couldn't come back for the same reasons he was left off. I was told another of them was left off to get over recurring injuries. The other 4 I don't know but I assume there were reasons and that Andrews didn't decide to cut off his nose to spite his face. I also don't accept at all that there was no way back for these players either. Andrews was not likely to last either so anyone who upped and left did so for other reasons as I have said before as a new manager would have a different view on things

Anyway - its ancient history

Yeah why do you keep going about it then Itchy, You said I shouldn't have put the topic from the Indo on here and then you are asking why was he not on the Cavan Panel this year?. Get a grip. Just say nothing if you don't like Johnston instead of saying stuff and then contradacting yourself.

The players were dropped get over it. James Reilly wasn't.

Ps. are you actually s_swords because you sound very much like him.

tommysmith

Cant understand why you guys are even talking about him   :o