Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

There is still a chance for amaglamations to enter Senior Championships but in reality that wont happen.

The structures for championships are not decided yet.

There are 3 options.

1. Straight Knockout,
2. Groups.
3. Back door system / Where every team will have at least 2 games.

The clubs have to give feedback on what they want and then a decision will be made.   

tommysmith

Other things to be finalised are the Reserve league and championship.

Options here are:

Reserve teams will play home and away fixtures same as their senior team.

Reserve teams will only play one half of the fixtures (with this option Reserve championship which will be played in June and July will have a back door so teams will have at least 2 championship games)

Celt_Man

Quote from: tommysmith on January 15, 2013, 02:18:19 PM
There is still a chance for amaglamations to enter Senior Championships but in reality that wont happen.

There are 3 options.

1. Straight Knockout,
2. Groups.

The clubs have to give feedback on what they want and then a decision will be made.

Hmmm I think too much is invested in teams to have just straight knock out...

That Backdoor system as was run a couple of years ago isn't the best either because if you won your first game you had a long break till your next game

Groups isn't too bad especially when there is relegation from the Championship - keeps every game competitive as teams avoid relegation play-offs
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

tommysmith

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 15, 2013, 02:38:53 PM

There are 3 options.

1. Straight Knockout,
2. Groups.

That Backdoor system as was run a couple of years ago isn't the best either because if you won your first game you had a long break till your next game

Its replays that would f**k that up i think its good enough only for that.

Groups isn't too bad especially when there is relegation from the Championship - keeps every game competitive as teams avoid relegation play-offs

There is no relegation sure teams can now choose what championship they want to play in even if they did lose a relegation playoff.

Celt_Man

Quote from: tommysmith on January 15, 2013, 03:24:20 PM

There are 3 options.

1. Straight Knockout,
2. Groups.

There is no relegation sure teams can now choose what championship they want to play in even if they did lose a relegation playoff.

Na sure that was only this year... Relegation from the 2012 League was meant to decide 2013 League & Championship but '12 League position only ended up deciding this year's League position hence the choice for those teams relegated could ask to be re-instated to their 2012 Championship Grade....  Makes sense now?  :o

I'd be fairly certain of there being Relegation from this season's Championship

The problem with the backdoor was that the seven first round winners had to wait for the seven first round losers to play and leave just one Backdoor team remaining.... Thats a minimum of 4 weeks anyway

Possibly the Donegal idea would be a better option than that Backdoor system i.e play Home and Away with a 3rd match required if it's one win apiece..

For all it's faults, I still think the Groups work reasonably well... Guaranteed at least 3 games and bottom teams go into Relegation Playoffs...

tommysmith

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 15, 2013, 04:55:43 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on January 15, 2013, 03:24:20 PM

There are 3 options.

1. Straight Knockout,
2. Groups.

Na sure that was only this year... Relegation from the 2012 League was meant to decide 2013 League & Championship but '12 League position only ended up deciding this year's League position hence the choice for those teams relegated could ask to be re-instated to their 2012 Championship Grade....  Makes sense now?  :o

I'd be fairly certain of there being Relegation from this season's Championship

The problem with the backdoor was that the seven first round winners had to wait for the seven first round losers to play and leave just one Backdoor team remaining.... Thats a minimum of 4 weeks anyway

Yeah i see that point,  is there anyother system to get the backdoor teams in quicker by playing  one game and then joining the  first round winners in a open draw? (maybe that doesnt give enough reward to winning first round winners)

On relegation ballinagh got back into senior championship a few years ago after been relegated and county board said that there was always a rule where teams could apply to play in whatever championship they wanted.  I think its time a law was introduced to stop teams from doing this thus giving championship more importance.

tommysmith

As far as i know Ballymachugh have also moved up to Intermediate.

Thats means that Cornafean, Mountnugent and Balllymachugh are moving up having failed to win the Junior championship.

Anyone have any views on this i think its totally wrong.

Apologies for getting some teams wrong i didnt write them down and its hard to remember then all.

rodney trotter

Quote from: tommysmith on January 15, 2013, 05:26:13 PM
As far as i know Ballymachugh have also moved up to Intermediate.

Thats means that Cornafean, Mountnugent and Balllymachugh are moving up having failed to win the Junior championship.

Anyone have any views on this i think its totally wrong.

Apologies for getting some teams wrong i didnt write them down and its hard to remember then all.

Are they having a laugh or what... It was known before the start of the League last year that the teams who were going to be relagated in Division 1 League would also be losing their place in the Senior Championship. Denn beat Drumgoon in a relegation/promotion play off and that counts for nothing now.

They have just thrown the idea out the window and felt the wrat of a few clubs not happy about what was happening, and now it has gone into a comedy show.

Celt_Man

Ballymachugh were Intermediate last year anyway so they are just remaining the same as last year...

tommysmith

Its a farce the whole thing.

rodney trotter

Wasn't trying to single out teams. They brought in the proposal of changing the format of the championship last year, which would happen this year, and then kept chopping and changing it, and now there is more clubs in the Senior Championship to last year and no amalgamations.

tommysmith

Example from County Board of how it may work out in Senior Championship

QuoteExample of Senior Championship based on back door option with 17 teams            

Preliminary Round 1   week 1   2 x 2    2 winners go through to first round proper
   Preliminary Round 2   week 2   1 x 1   play off between losers of week 1 - winner goes through to first round proper
   Round 1   week 3   8 x 2      8 winners (A) & 8 losers (B)
   Round 2   week 4   4 x 2 (A) + 4 x 2 (B)   4 winners (A) & 4 winners (B)
   Round 3   week 5   2 x 2 (A) + 2 x 2 (B)   2 winners (A) & 2 winners (B)
   Round 4   Week 6   A v B + A v B   Semi Final
   Round 5   Week 7      Final

Note: Each round could potentially have a drawn game which will increase uncertainty around fixtures in MFP 

If i read that right it would mean the losers of the first round would stay apart from the first round winners until the semi final??

Celt_Man

Quote from: tommysmith on January 16, 2013, 12:06:04 PM
Example from County Board of how it may work out in Senior Championship

Example of Senior Championship based on back door option with 17 teams            

Preliminary Round 1   week 1   2 x 2    2 winners go through to first round proper
   Preliminary Round 2   week 2   1 x 1   play off between losers of week 1 - winner goes through to first round proper
   Round 1   week 3   8 x 2      8 winners (A) & 8 losers (B)
   Round 2   week 4   4 x 2 (A) + 4 x 2 (B)   4 winners (A) & 4 winners (B)
   Round 3   week 5   2 x 2 (A) + 2 x 2 (B)   2 winners (A) & 2 winners (B)
   Round 4   Week 6   A v B + A v B   Semi Final
   Round 5   Week 7      Final

Note: Each round could potentially have a drawn game which will increase uncertainty around fixtures in MFP 

And they said that I'd never use algebra in real life after the Leaving Cert....

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 16, 2013, 04:32:44 PM
Comparing Johnny Sextons future departure from Leinster and Seanie Johnstons from Cavan

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-amateur-johnston-vilified-yet-nobody-questions-loyalty-of-heroic-figure-sexton-3354673.html

I think Brehony is probably the biggest gobshite of a journalist in the GAA. I find it hard to force myself to read anything he writes. On this occassion I did force myself to read it and unfortunately I see that nothing has changed. Personally, I think that is just a pile of rubbish. Anyway - should you not post that on the Kildare thread?