Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilsJemmysField

Only saw second half of the Lacken / Cootehill game put a pacey Cootehill team really put it up to Lacken. Had a couple of chances including a free at the end to win it. The opinion around where I was though was a draw was fair enough as Lacken could have been out of sight at half time.

The senior final was poor enough and Kingscourt just did not seem to be able to push on and win it. The goal sealed it for Mullahoran who basically just hung in there and then took their chance

BallyhaiseMan

Our NFL 2013 fixtures

Sun Feb 3rd Antrim away
Sat Feb 9th Monaghan home
Sat Mar 2nd Meath away
Sun Mar 10th Sligo away
Sat Mar 16th Fermanagh home
Sun Mar 24th Wicklow away
Sub April 7th Roscommon home

tommysmith

Good to get the usaul quota of away games  :(

Not one of them games will be easy but i hope to see a big improvement in performance this year.

Westside

Hugely tough Division 3. There isn't one game there that you'd be going to thinking Cavan should win, bar perhaps the Fermanagh game. An awful lot of improvement is needed if we are to survive.

BallyhaiseMan

Judging on this years performances,
You would probably only put us ahead of Fermanagh and Wicklow in the pecking order.
A massive step up is needed or we will be staring at another relegation struggle.

rodney trotter

To get the first game away again is a disaster, Antrim hammered Cavan in the final league game last year, I don't think they would hammer Cavan again but they are very hard to beat in Belfast. They will have to risk a few u21's in the league next year, no point sticking them in the deep end playing a Championship match without any league football.

cavanlad

Ulster U21 Draw 2013

Prelim Round: Fermanagh v Armagh.
Q'Finals: Tyrone v Donegal, Antrim v Derry, Cavan v Monaghan, Down v Prelim Rd winners

Good to be at home again, can't meet Tyrone till final again.

Mc Kenna Cup 2013

Section A: St Mary's , Fermanagh, Donegal, Monaghan
Section  B: Queens, Armagh, Cavan, Down
Section  C: Jordanstown, Tyrone, Derry, Antrim

A bit tough, playing Armagh in Champ but safe to say teams will be different.
My ignore list - Richiej

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 11, 2012, 10:29:52 AM
To get the first game away again is a disaster, Antrim hammered Cavan in the final league game last year, I don't think they would hammer Cavan again but they are very hard to beat in Belfast. They will have to risk a few u21's in the league next year, no point sticking them in the deep end playing a Championship match without any league football.

Now its hardly a disaster playing Antrim away is it?

To get up we would need 4 wins minimum. We would have to win our home games against Fermanagh and Monaghan, neither easy. Maybe away to Antrim and Wicklow could be the other 2. While there are no easy games I wouldn't be afraid of any team in it. Id like to see what players are on the panel for next season.

Championship draw is not to bad either but would like to avoid the preliminary round as even if you win your next opponent gets a chance to have watched you in action.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Itchy on October 12, 2012, 09:31:46 AM

To get up we would need 4 wins minimum. We would have to win our home games against Fermanagh and Monaghan, neither easy. Maybe away to Antrim and Wicklow could be the other 2. While there are no easy games I wouldn't be afraid of any team in it. Id like to see what players are on the panel for next season.

Championship draw is not to bad either but would like to avoid the preliminary round as even if you win your next opponent gets a chance to have watched you in action.

Eh yeah, I would say it is a disaster playing Antrim away. .. To start off the league you would usually want  a home game first, They hammered Cavan in the last game of the league last year, they were without a few key players that day. Can't see Cavan being as bad again, but they will be confident of beating Cavan again. Obviously Cavan will be up for that game but its far from easy.

Cavan are very lucky to be not to be playing in Division 4 next year, take one game at a time.

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 12, 2012, 10:23:15 AM

Eh yeah, I would say it is a disaster playing Antrim away. .. To start off the league you would usually want  a home game first, They hammered Cavan in the last game of the league last year, they were without a few key players that day. Can't see Cavan being as bad again, but they will be confident of beating Cavan again. Obviously Cavan will be up for that game but its far from easy.

Cavan are very lucky to be not to be playing in Division 4 next year, take one game at a time.

Not trying to start a feud with ya mate but in the grand scheme of this group surely Antrim would not be rated that highly. In order of quality id have

Meath
Monaghan
Sligo
Roscommon
Antrim
Wicklow
Fermanagh

So what I am saying is a "disaster" would have been away to Meath or Monaghan to start with. I agree you want to get off to a winning start so hopefully we can do that.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Itchy on October 12, 2012, 10:47:13 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 12, 2012, 10:23:15 AM

Not trying to start a feud with ya mate but in the grand scheme of this group surely Antrim would not be rated that highly. In order of quality id have

Meath
Monaghan
Sligo
Roscommon
Antrim
Wicklow
Fermanagh

So what I am saying is a "disaster" would have been away to Meath or Monaghan to start with. I agree you want to get off to a winning start so hopefully we can do that.

Yeah, i never said anything about where i'd rate them. They are an improving side, beating Galway in the qualifiers. I think its the problem that maybe we think we are better than we are. Look at the past Championship defeats, Kildare hammered, the year before hammered at home by Donegal and Longford, lucky to stay up in the league last year too.

Westside

When was the last time we beat Antrim? The 2008 preliminary round? They beat us well in 2009 in the Championship, 2010 in the League in Breffni after we had got off to a great start against Roscommon and they hammered us last year in the final game in Breffni in a challenge. Anyone who thinks we are at a level where we can afford to not rate Antrim is slightly deluded. They are a much better side than we are. As RT says they beat Galway in the Championship last year. Away to Antrim is every bit as tough as Monaghan or Meath. 

rodney trotter

Hard luck Celtman and Cootehill. Good game of football again last night. Lackens second goal was a big turning point in the game. It took 15 minutes into the second half before Lacken scored,  that goal was the first score.. Cootehill had scored 5 unanswered points after being 3 behind at half time. Thought Lacken were a bit more composed in the forward play. Cootehill had some very poor wides in the first half and then in the second half when they were getting on top. Niall McKiernan was very impressive, moved into the ff linem in second half and he caused havoc.

Thought Gerard Argue done well on Connor Finnegan in both games, Finnegan was never really in the game that much. Enda Hessin was very good , scored 2 brillant points on the run. He stood out in both games along with John McCuthcheon. Josh Hayes was good but didn't stand out as a county player in IMO. Tom Hayes was lively and Stevie o Connor, but they didn't make enough of the chances that game their way. They are young players and have a good future. Finbar Reilly was very good, and showed his experience,

Westside

I see a thread over on Boards where a guy is claiming to have heard racial abuse directed towards a player during the Intermediate Final..

tommysmith

Quote from: Westside on October 15, 2012, 01:08:42 AM
I see a thread over on Boards where a guy is claiming to have heard racial abuse directed towards a player during the Intermediate Final..

Just seen that myself, but it turns out he didn't hear it his friend did but he did witness it happening.

Dont know what went on but i would hope that if it did happen the player invovled gets reported to the gardai.