Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Club football really is a mess when you have games being played that mean so little that players dont bother to turn up to.  Its not long ago that we had the farce of no relegation for a year or two in the league.

It's all building to this big plan which i hope will work but i dont think it will, amagalamations might work if two clubs are involved but when you go over that all it will just lead to in fighting and clubs trying to get their own men on the field.

I would like to know what the lads here  who are currently playing think of it and what their relations are like with neighbouring clubs who they may have to join with?

rodney trotter

Another thing about the league is the timing of it. It started this year in Feburary the earliest in a long time, but its still dragging on in September. With a round this weekend and one final round, then the semi's and Final. Too much lee-way given for the u21's earlier in the year

Bananas

Quote from: tommysmith on September 07, 2012, 11:54:36 AM
Club football really is a mess when you have games being played that mean so little that players dont bother to turn up to.  Its not long ago that we had the farce of no relegation for a year or two in the league.

It's all building to this big plan which i hope will work but i dont think it will, amagalamations might work if two clubs are involved but when you go over that all it will just lead to in fighting and clubs trying to get their own men on the field.

I would like to know what the lads here  who are currently playing think of it and what their relations are like with neighbouring clubs who they may have to join with?

That ''no relegation'' idea was laughable....

I don't think it will work either. The general consensus seems to be that although there are some major issues with the whole set up, beneath it all the players are not good enough. And if this is the case then why would people think that amalgamation nonsense would change anything. Players will not  be ''reborn'' with a new, amalgamated club, they will still be the same lads playing.

And all this talk of ''playing at a higher level''. Talk is cheap. Anyone who has been involved with the minor or underage set-up recently will see that amalgamations are not really the way forward at all. The minor championship this year has been a poorer standard than 3, 2 or even 1 year ago.

The problem (In my opinion) has more to do with the poor standard of coaching from grass roots up. An example relevant to me was that I was asked to train and manage our u12's two years ago despite the fact I had never been involved with managing such a young age group before (And there's a big difference between u12 and u16/minor let me tell you). Now this is not a big deal by any means but it shows how volunteers are numbered and the majority involved are parents of players etc.

If a higher standard of coaching could be created then this, I feel, would do a lot more for us in the future. Of course this would be too sensible and the fact that it would take time and effort to both overcome problems (availability/willingness of coaches) and to see the results means it will probably not happen for a long time.

Instead, let's just relegate half of division 1, slap a few neighbouring clubs together and hope for the best.

Bananas

anglocelt39

Looking at this from a distance it seems like the County Board is determined to push ahead with amalgamations at underage level. They seemed to put great spin on the Quality of the Under 21 Championship earlier this year and I think I remember a few statements being made about the number of amalgamated clubs in that, how it was raising the quality of things etc. I can see how this might impact the quality of senior stuff in the longer term as amalgamations at underage will simply mean some lads will be lost at that level. There's another challenge I see in that some great underage lads have been developed from the smaller clubs through underage development panels. A lot of these young lads are also getting high quality action through colleges football etc. How do you keep these blokes going to the next level if their club is really struggling for numbers. Thinking of Shannon Gaels here which had the highest representation on this years Under 21 panel, I think.

I have none of the answers here and I don't envy the lads that are trying to juggle all the issues. On balance I think the views put on here that you have as many Underage teams as possible and put them in divisions accordingly is the better way to go. More interested lads playing and more hope of late developers, Anthony Forde and Jason Reilly didn't play Minor for the County (I'm fairly sure) they had ulster medals by age 20. The GAA is about more than club and county success as well, it serves a great social purpose by getting as many as possible playing ball and off the streets. Enjoy reading some very interesting views and contributions, cheers 
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

rodney trotter

Nicholas Walsh created lots of coaching courses at Foundation level etc for people looking to get involved in Coaching from a basic level and gradually build up. He was a top class coach, various sessions take place in breffni on the 3g pitch during the year, Its up to whoever wants to get involved at the end of the day.

WarriorBoy

Who from Cavan Gaels would be worth a call into the county set up this year, am sure there was some lads that played well for them this year that could be given at least a chance?

rodney trotter

More like who wasn't tried from Cavan Gaels this year,.. A load tried during the McKenna Cup if you remember.

WarriorBoy

Yes I agree there was a good few of them in last year and maybe some them shouldn't.. Just like others clubs as-well. Players in their that maybe shouldn't like I said....Is there anyone who played well for them this year that maybe might get a Chance??

Cause there was enough chancers their last year?

rodney trotter

Probaly Eammon and Dominic Reilly, but they won't or can't commit ,so couldn't do much about that.

scoopmine

lavey-Castlerahan 2.07 - 1.10 O'Raghallaigh Gaels

Great of ball Lavey kicked four or five bad wides and Gaels were up by 6 points going into time added on. First goal for LC was great finish then last kick of the game high ball into the square and found its way into the net. Really enjoyable game and Micky had a good game as ref.

WarriorBoy

dont now about them now..I was at a few games this year and dont think dominic reilly will be, But there half back line this year was an improvement and imprssed me when  I seen them , Does martin Dunne deserve a better chnace with cavan maybe?

rodney trotter

I mentioned the 2 Reillys as they weren't involved this year, not sure if Dominic ever played Senior with Cavan, but Eammon di,d but hasn't played with Cavan since Keoghan was manager I think, in the first year Keoghan was over Cavan. They are usually consistent for the Gaels hence why I mentioned them.

Martin Reilly did get chances with Cavan this year but wasn't fully fit for the Donegal game. Was probaly kept for the juniors when he wasn't played against Fermanagh or Kildare. Decent player but I would rate Barry Reilly ahead of him

Declan Meehan wasn't even a regular with the Gaels last year and he was involved with Cavan this year, he only came on as a sub against Killygarry when they were knocked out. Plenty of other club players could have been tried earlier in the year without having players who couldn't even make their own club team. Same with Connor McGlarey, They are willing to play and can't fault them as its tough to get on the Gaels team, but if they were picking players from the Gaels as least pick those who are regulars...

rodney trotter

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 10, 2012, 04:32:02 PM
I mentioned the 2 Reillys as they weren't involved this year, not sure if Dominic ever played Senior with Cavan, but Eammon di,d but hasn't played with Cavan since Keoghan was manager I think, in the first year Keoghan was over Cavan. They are usually consistent for the Gaels hence why I mentioned them.

Martin Reilly did get chances with Cavan this year but wasn't fully fit for the Donegal game. Was probaly kept for the juniors when he wasn't played against Fermanagh or Kildare. Decent player but I would rate Barry Reilly ahead of him

Declan Meehan wasn't even a regular with the Gaels last year and he was involved with Cavan this year, he only came on as a sub against Killygarry when they were knocked out. Plenty of other club players could have been tried earlier in the year without having players who couldn't even make their own club team. Same with Connor McGlarey, They are willing to play and can't fault them as its tough to get on the Gaels team, but if they were picking players from the Gaels as least pick those who are regulars...

Martin Dunne that should have been.

Martin Reilly from killygarry is probaly worth a look next year. I remember he destroyed lacken in the league a few months ago, played good stuff with Cavan Juniors too. See how he gets on against Mullahoran.

Celt_Man

Castlerahan were flat out keeping the ball kicked out to Kingscourt in the second half, goal before half time was a killer...

SFC: Stars steamroll Castlerahan

Kingscourt 1-16
Castlerahan 1-6

By Shane Corrigan

Kingscourt Stars' rise towards a second senior championship title in three years continued tonight as they dismantled Castlerahan at Kingspan Breffni Park.

Cavan U21 captain Barry Reilly was in sublime form for the winners, as were so many, with half-forward Joe McMahon contributing 1-1 and Barry Tully finishing with 0-3 from wing-back.

In truth, Castlerahan only stayed with their opponents for the first 15 minutes of this encounter and were dealt a killer blow on the eve of half-time when McMahon goaled. From there, Dudley Farrell's charges would go on to own the second-half, outscoring last year's beaten finalists by 0-10 to 1-3, with Oisin O'Connell grabbing the late goal, to march into the county final against either Killygarry or Mullahoran next month as firm favourites.

After some early chances went by the wayside, Reilly had Kingscourt off the mark on five minutes with a well-executed '45' which the full-forward backed up three minutes later with a free from a similar position.

Reilly cut inside for point number three in the next attack, with a goal chance on, before Castlerahan posted their reply through Sean Brady when the former county senior was sent on his way by 40 yards man Ronan Flanagan.

A splendid score from Nigel Duignan halved the difference for the Maroons, but they were struggling to cope with the stylish Reilly down the other end as he swung over his fourth off his weaker right boot from the left flank to keep the initiative with Kingscourt. Ryan McCormack would become the

Stars' second scorer in the 16th minute with an identical effort, but Castlerahan, who were guilty of turning over possession on too many occasions already, managed to keep in touch with a Cian Mackey free.

Reilly saw a 50-metre free come off the upright, but it didn't dishearten the eight-time champions as they finished out the half strong with an outstanding point from midfielder Colm Smith and a goal with the last touch when Joe McMahon capitalised on a mistake from goalkeeper Jamie Leahy to smash to the net, leaving the score-line at 1-6 to 0-3 for the interval.

Keen to implement the long ball tactic, Ciaran Macken would send Paul Brady on at full-forward in the second-half for Castlerahan and the substitute paid immediate dividends with an early point on the edge of the square, which would be erased in the next passage of play when Tomas Malone sent McMahon through on goal and the wing-forward fisted over Leahy's crossbar this time.

Barry Tully and Philip Smith extended the 2010 champions' advantage to eight in the next two attacks and when the reliable Reilly struck another accurate free, the Ballyjamesduff outfit were truly left with an uphill battle heading into the closing 20 minutes.

Mackey ended a 10-minute scoring drought with a sorely needed free, but there was simply no stemming the Kingscourt tide as Leahy was forced to tip over Philip Smith's stinging shot and the centre-forward backed it up with another well-struck score which sent their opponents further adrift.

A 57th minute goal from Oisin O'Connell would only provide consolation for Castlerahan as a brace of points from the tireless Barry Tully and another from substitute Sean Og Gargan outweighed a sole effort from Ronan Flanagan to round off a 10-point victory for Farrell's men in the end.

Kingscourt: James Farrelly; Padraig Faulkner, Thomas Wakely, Shane Gray; Barry Tully (0-3), Alan Clarke, Keith McCabe; Colm Smith (0-1), Joe Dillon; Joe McMahon (1-1), Philip Smith (0-3), Philip Tinnelly; Tomas Malone, Barry Reilly (0-6, 2f, 1 '45'), Ryan McCormack (0-1). Subs: Sean Og Gargan (0-1) for R McCormack (49), Kieran Smith for J Dillon (49), Gavin Sheehan for T Malone (56).

Castlerahan: Jamie Leahy; Stephen Cooney, David Wright, Brian Coleman; Eugene Kill, Enda O'Connell, Fergal Reilly; Cian Mackey (0-2, 2f), Enda Flanagan; Nigel Duignan (0-1), Ronan Flanagan (0-1), Caolan McBreen; Sean Brady (0-1), Fergal Flanagan, Oisin O'Connell. Subs: Paul Brady (0-1) for E Flanagan (30), Alan Cusack for F Flanagan (45), Stephen Foran for N Duigan (47), Padraig McGahern for McBreen (59).

Ref: Joe McQuillan (Kill Shamrocks)
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

mylestheslasher

Went into Breffni last night to watch the Kingscourt Castlerahan game. It was competitive enough up till the soft goal Kingscourt got just before half time although having seen the game out that was more to do with Kingscourt not getting into top gear quick enough. Castlerahan really had a strange tactic of getting loads of men behind the ball but doing nothing to support their own counter attacks. Their insistence on blasting high balls at no one in particular was bizarre too and I felt sorry for their forwards who really got nothing of any quality put into them.

When Kingscourt got going they were impressive and they certainly have some players that Hyland should be looking at. Barry Reilly was very good and an addition to his game of kicking of the ground was very impressive where he kicked some 45's and frees from tough positions. If he is on the senior panel next year then this will be a very useful part of his game. Elsewhere I was impressed with their big midfielder Colm Smith, tigerish pacy wing back Barry Tully (who got 2 or 3 points also) and powerful wing forward Joe McMahon. Alan Clarke held the middle but in truth was not under much pressure. Can't really say how Wakely played as again he hadn't much to do. I think they should win the final. It was good to see some proper football being played anyway.