Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 18, 2012, 01:48:29 PM
No need for them to object, I remember a few years ago a Junior club think it was Maghera were relegated to Division 4 but they got reinstated back to Division 3 when Tom Reilly became chairman.. They got off with that, why get off again...

Was that not templeport?

rodney trotter

No it was Maghera, they played in Division 4 for one season I think it was, and were actually close to dropping to Div5..

Templeport would have been playing for Div4 the year Tom Reillt took over, they were bottom of div3 that year from what I remember. They were saved having to play div4, Being a West Cavanman I don't think they were ever going to play Div4 once Tom Reilly got chair.

Westside

Templeport were supposed to go down in 2007. They appealed and it went to a club vote, Templeport canvassed the clubs who voted to keep them up. Had something to do with a second team (Crosserlough?) not being able to field a team in Div 3 and so TP appealed to stay up to keep it to 14 teams. The following year Maghera got relegated and spent a year in Div 4. That year Templeport actually did very well, finished 3rd in the League and got to a JFC Semi Final.

gortnaleck

Would there be any positives in relegating any of the Junior only clubs down to Div 5. I feel it would be more of a kill than a cure

Benny

Westside is correct, 2007, tport were relegated, only to get reinstated after a vote due to Crosserlough not taking their place in Div 3. Maghera MacFinns did get relegated the following year, 2008, and did appeal same, to no avail. They spent 2009 in Division 4, where they finished mid table. At the end of this year, the league was reformatted and Maghera were reinstated to Div 3. Can I point out that this was not due to any pressure or direct action from the Maghera club as seems to have been insinuated by the poster above.

rodney trotter

I thought Maghera finished second bottom that year, only that Drumlane Juniors were terrible that year they would have finished bottom? If they finished mid-table i was obviously wrong, but i remember they lost alot of games that year in Div4.

I think if they hadn't been reinstated it would be doubtful if Maghera would still be in existence now,. Obviously its good that all 40 clubs are playing in the senior league's and not a league made up of second club teams in div4.

Westside

The only way to make a drop from Division 3 fair is to have extremely strict regulations on second teams. Otherwise you're going to have Senior standard players coming back from injury or players who can't make the commitment to senior playing against Junior players and it's completely unfair. Dropping to Div 4 also has a terrible effect on the whole mentality of a club. You can have a good future coming up in the club and thinking you can drag yourself out of Div 3 because you know who you'll be playing but if you're in Div 4 you're basically at the mercy of the whim of the Senior Club you are facing.

Anyway this isn't a proposal to be reinstated is it?

rodney trotter

I don't think so. In fainess alot of Div4 teams are full of senior players, some clubs first 12 aren't always true.. Maghera were facing alot of senior players in some of them games

PhilsJemmysField

To get back to the championship

Anybody stand out so far that we think could make a difference to the county setup

Celt_Man

Minor results from the Backdoor Qualifiers last night...

'A' Championship

NORTH EASTERN GAELS 1-10 V 0-9 OLIVER PLUNKETS
TEMPLEPORT ST. AIDAN'S GAA 1-10 V 5-10 ST JOSEPH'S

'B' Championship

SOUTHERN GAELS 2-12 V 0-10 MULLAHORAN
DRUMLANE 2-7 V 3-11 CROSSERLOUGH/CROIS AR LOCH
DENN 0-0 V 5-17 EIRE OG CELTIC

That last result shouldn't be happening in a Minor Championship - it's wrong that there isn't a third division especially when there was one in the League
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Westside

So The Gaels grip on Minor Championships has certainly broken. Sorry to see TP take a trimming from Joes, hope they can come back stronger next year.

The Denn score is horrible to see, unfair on young lads to put them in that position. If they were that weak they should have been joined with another club.

tommysmith

Quote from: Westside on August 21, 2012, 02:03:51 PM
So The Gaels grip on Minor Championships has certainly broken. Sorry to see TP take a trimming from Joes, hope they can come back stronger next year.

The Denn score is horrible to see, unfair on young lads to put them in that position. If they were that weak they should have been joined with another club.

I dont think thats the way it should work though. 

If a club has 18 or 19 lads able to play minor why should they join up and deny maybe more than half of them football, i know looking at it now they would have better off joining with someone. The problem is with the County board deciding not to have a division 3 championship.

Celt_Man

Quote from: tommysmith on August 21, 2012, 02:07:44 PM
Quote from: Westside on August 21, 2012, 02:03:51 PM

I dont think thats the way it should work though. 

If a club has 18 or 19 lads able to play minor why should they join up and deny maybe more than half of them football, i know looking at it now they would have better off joining with someone. The problem is with the County board deciding not to have a division 3 championship.

100% agree
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that Denn were initially supposed to join with Killygarry but they then joined with Cavan Gaels leaving Denn on their own.
There should have been a Division 3.

rodney trotter

Killygarry had agreed to join with Denn for the Championship but Cavan Gaels then got in contact with Killygarry and they joined with them instead..