Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

It's up to the clubs. Erne Gaels are a strong outfit for Div2 alright.

Big win for Lavey/crhan beating Plunkets last night, they were favs for Divison 1.

Westside

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 14, 2012, 12:38:57 PM
The West Cavan combination is a bit over the top with 4 clubs. Suppose they had to go with 4 clubs to compete in Div1.. Templeport did well to beat one amalgamation in the first round, Facing 4 clubs was a big ask, even if them clubs would be no world beaters on their own.

Templeport could have taken West Cavan Gaels yesterday evening too.. Didn't have the rub of the green and a luck goal was the difference in the end. Templeport did themselves proud. Considering they had about 5 U 15 and U16 lads to be within a kick of the ball of a 4 team amalgamation is a fine achievement. They only lose 1 player between now and next year so they will feel they can compete again next year. Some lovely footballers on show, was particularly impressed with Dillon Raythorne, Liam Galligan, Hayden Kellegher and Michael Devine. 3 of those are U16. Walsh and Crowe from WCGs were quality too, Walsh in particular.

rodney trotter

I saw Niall Walsh in the Junior Champinship Semi last year, shannon gaels were beaten, but he stood out for me, looked a very useful player. He had a good game against Donegal in the Minor championship this year too. He is a similar player to his clubmate PP O'Hare..

gortnaleck

Hey Westside, Is Kiernan not still Minor, surprised you didn't mention him

Westside

Kiernan is Minor and still Minor next year I believe. Found himself well marshaled by the WCG defence, constantly bottled up by 3/4 players anytime he got the ball, he was obviously marked out as the danger man. That's the only reason I didn't mention him. Still showed some good flashes, intelligent player, great awareness of space and eye for the killer pass.
Forgot to mention Greg McGovern from Swad earlier. Big unit for a minor player, if he's Minor again next year I'd expect him to be not far off the county. A big team won it for us in 2011 we need to keep that up.

I see on HS that Joes and TP will meet now in the back door.

So despite all the talk Oliver Plunkett's were knocked out?

Celt_Man

Aye McGovern is Minor again next year...  He is playing for Swad Seniors at mid-field - and actually was centre-forward against us at the Sunday...

Not sure about all this talk about Oliver Plunketts, Gaels or Killygarry weren't overly strong this year.  Surely Lavey Castlerahan with the likes of Smith and Flanagan would have been favourites??

Backdoor draw for Minors is:

Minor Division 1:

North Eastern Gaels vs Oliver Plunkets
Templeport vs St. Josephs

Minor Division 2:

Drumlane vs Crosserlough
Blackwater Gaels vs Mullahoran / Southern Gaels
St Felims vs St. Killians
Denn vs Eire Og Celtic
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

tommysmith

With a few weeks to go in leagues this is how i think it would work out for next year if the leagues finished now.

Promotion and relegation between 2B and 3 is what i find most confusing as alot will depend on championship winners i think :)

Division 1 and Senior Championship 2013
Cavan Gaels    
Castlerahan/Caisleán Raithin    
Lavey    
Lacken GAA    
Réalta Dun an Rí    
Mullahoran
Cúchulainns    
Ballinagh    
Reamor Aontaoithe    
Belturbet     (to play-off with top team in division 2 for league and championship place)

Division 2A and Intermediate Championship 2013
Droim Dhúin Éire Óg    
Killygarry GAA Club/CLG Coill an Gharraí    
Gowna    
Ballyhaise    
Redhills    
Denn    (Enter playoff for Division 1 and Senior championship place)
Crosserlough/Crois ar Loch    
Drumlane    
An Drong    
Drumalee

Division 2B and Intermediate Championship 2013
Cootehill Celtic GAA    
Killeshandra    
Killinkere GAA    
St Mary's GAA, Swanlinbar    
Cavan Gaels    
Munterconnaught    
Kill    
Cornafean    
Butlersbridge    
Baileborough

Division 3 and Junior Championship   
Knockbride GAA Club
Droichead Úi Dhálaigh    
Shannon Gaels    
Baileborough
Searcóg/Shercock    
Ballymachugh    
Arva    
Laragh Utd    
Kildallan G.A.A. Club    
Corlough    
Templeport St. Aidan's GAA    
Maghera MacFinns GFC/An Machaire    

rodney trotter

Quote from: tommysmith on August 16, 2012, 01:14:32 PM
With a few weeks to go in leagues this is how i think it would work out for next year if the leagues finished now.

Promotion and relegation between 2B and 3 is what i find most confusing as alot will depend on championship winners i think :)

Division 1 and Senior Championship 2013
Cavan Gaels    
Castlerahan/Caisleán Raithin    
Lavey    
Lacken GAA    
Réalta Dun an Rí    
Mullahoran
Cúchulainns    
Ballinagh    
Reamor Aontaoithe    
Belturbet     (to play-off with top team in division 2 for league and championship place)

That wouldn't be possible, 7 teams stay up in Div1, and the 8th placed team plays the First placed team from Division 2 in a play off to play Division 1 football in 2013 and Senior Championship football.

Westside

Then does the winner of the Intermediate Championship this year also get a chance at Senior football next year?

rodney trotter

Correction 8 stay up, 9th place plays First place team from Div2. Intermediate winners make up 10th team, If Lacken were to win it i'm not sure who would get the 10th spot. Runners up possibly.

tommysmith

s__words

The way I see it is that the top seven teams plus the senior & intermediate champions,with the next best playing off with Div 2 winners.
If two teams within the top 7 were to win the senior & intermediate championships, the teams in 8th & 9th would play Div 1 next year with 10th place playing off with the winners of Div 2.
If two teams from outside the top 7 were to win the senior & intermediate championships then they along with the winner of the playoff between next highest placed finisher in Div 1 v Div 2 winners would make up Div 1 for 2013.

PhilsJemmysField

This is the official word

http://cavangaa.ie/news/322/Cavan_GAA_2013_League_&_Championship_Structures.html

But the word on the street is the Junior Clubs do not like it and a revolt is being organised. So God knows !!

tommysmith

I dont know what they have to cry about they are not changing much.

Maybe i am missing something?

rodney trotter

No need for them to object, I remember a few years ago a Junior club think it was Maghera were relegated to Division 4 but they got reinstated back to Division 3 when Tom Reilly became chairman.. They got off with that, why get off again...