Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 01, 2012, 12:23:27 PM
Quote from: boojangles on August 01, 2012, 12:09:32 AM
Quote from: Bananas on July 31, 2012, 11:24:48 PM
Quote from: boojangles on July 31, 2012, 11:04:51 PM
Welcome Bananas. Informative first post and it's great to have somebody who has an interest in the club scene and has the time to attend. Keep it up!
And I hope you have gotten over the disappointment of the above players performances. To disappoint paying spectators is the last thing any club player wants to do and I hope all the above players will endeavour to improve their performances tenfold to avoid any further disappointments. :P

Maybe disappointed wasn't a good word to use! I do feel a like a bit of a pr*** bad mouthing players when they put in so much effort and all that but you have to admit it's very hard to discuss a game with someone without criticising anyone?

I'm only slagging ya! If any of the players are reading they will no doubt use it as motivation to improve for the next game. A bit of criticism never did anybody any harm!! As long as it's not personal abuse.....
You mentioned Ray Cullivan. I have heard that he is taking a break from football. Will no doubt be a huge loss to Ballyhaise. They definitely could have done with somebody like him Thursday evening.

Its a pity you weren't as shite on the Wednesday of the week before!!!!!  ;D
As for Cullivan, well we have all heard the saying, if you can't say nothing good about something, say nothing at all.
So its a big No comment from me about the situation.
Now now BH Man, disappointing maybe but shite, never!!  :P
I'm not trying to justify what Ray is doing. If it was my club I know what my reaction would be to a lad taking a break during championship. But I suppose it's an amateur sport and nobody can force a lad to play if his head isn't right.

Bananas

Quote from: boojangles on August 01, 2012, 01:05:31 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 01, 2012, 12:23:27 PM
Quote from: boojangles on August 01, 2012, 12:09:32 AM
I'm only slagging ya! If any of the players are reading they will no doubt use it as motivation to improve for the next game. A bit of criticism never did anybody any harm!! As long as it's not personal abuse.....
You mentioned Ray Cullivan. I have heard that he is taking a break from football. Will no doubt be a huge loss to Ballyhaise. They definitely could have done with somebody like him Thursday evening.

Its a pity you weren't as shite on the Wednesday of the week before!!!!!  ;D
As for Cullivan, well we have all heard the saying, if you can't say nothing good about something, say nothing at all.
So its a big No comment from me about the situation.
Now now BH Man, disappointing maybe but shite, never!!  :P
I'm not trying to justify what Ray is doing. If it was my club I know what my reaction would be to a lad taking a break during championship. But I suppose it's an amateur sport and nobody can force a lad to play if his head isn't right.

Ahh I know ya are yeah  ;) .. Agree with the personal abuse comment too, no need for it in an amateur sport. Yeah he will be a massive loss, can't really see them going the distance without him especially with the likes of Lacken and Crosserlough looking strong. They should still make it through the group though.

Well put BHM. Do you think he might make a return this season at all, even in the later stages of the championship? (''No comment'' again if you wish :) )

rodney trotter

Its strange that he is taking a break as he hasn't played alot of football this year. Played very little with Cavan and I heard he didn't show up for a few league games with Ballyhaise. If he wanted to make his mark for the County team next he isn't showing it. Very good player, but has never delivered on his potential when he first broke onto the Cavan panel for some reason.

TheThirdManning

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 01, 2012, 01:53:38 PM
Its strange that he is taking a break as he hasn't played alot of football this year. Played very little with Cavan and I heard he didn't show up for a few league games with Ballyhaise. If he wanted to make his mark for the County team next he isn't showing it. Very good player, but has never delivered on his potential when he first broke onto the Cavan panel for some reason.

Just because he hasn't played a lot doesn't mean he hasn't trained a lot. The chap might be burned out.

Westside

I would love to see Ray Cullivan taking a decent break from the game, come back and work hard and become a strong asset to the Cavan team, he is still young despite all the football he has played and is coming into his prime years. If he can get his head right and control his game more he has a lot to offer. Although that might not help Ballyhaise in the short term..

rodney trotter

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 01, 2012, 01:53:38 PM

I never said he mightn't have trained, obviously he has been training since Januray like any other county player. He left the panel a few days before the Kildare game and did the same a few years ago when he wasn't picked to play Fermanagh. He played very little under age with Ballyhaise as he wanted to focus on county. I have nothing against him, but maybe he has too big an opinion of himself.

mylestheslasher

Why does he think he is worthy of a place on the Cavan team, he hasn't played a really good game in a couple of years. I don't like saying that as I genuinely thought he was destined for great things. Maybe he needs a break to get his head right but he could have played for a couple of more weeks with ballyhaise and then took his break. I'd say his team mates feel let down, I hope they all up their games to compensate.

mylestheslasher

http://hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=174593

Cavan Gaels excuse for minor amalgamation. Reads like a load of bollix to me. How many excuses does her give?

Lads on holidays
Other sports
Amalgamated team won last yr.
Trying to bring lads on.

Which one is it?

County board need to put some rules in place for amalgamations or there will soon be only 2 teams in the championship.

BallyhaiseMan

Lads
Theres more to the story than what some of ye may know or think but its not something that has a place on a public forum.

Weekend Predictions
Thursday 2nd August

Hotel Kilmore Intermediate Football Championship

Round 2 Group 1
Cavan Gaels v Bailieborough  - Baileborough by 3

Round 2 Group 2
Drumlane v Ballymachugh- Ballymachugh by 2

Friday 3rd August

Round 2 Group 2
Kill v Killeshandra - Killeshandra by 6

Round 2 Group 3
Knockbride v Killinkere- Draw

Round 2 Group 4
Butlersbridge v Cootehill- Cootehill by 5

Hotel Kilmore Junior Football Championship

Round 1 Replay
Arva v Munterconnaught - Arva by 3

Hotel Kilmore Senior Football Championship

Round 2 Group 3
Killygarryv Mullahoran - Mullahoran by 3

Saturday 4th August

Hotel Kilmore Junior Football Championship

Round 2
Kildallon v Corlough  - Corlough by 1

Round 1 Replay
Templeport v Shannon Gaels- Shannon Gaels by 5

Round 2 Group 3
Shercock v Lacken- Lacken by 4

Round 2 Group 3
Cuchullainns v Gowna- Cuchullains by 3

Round 2 Group 2
Denn v Cavan Gaels - Cavan Gaels by 13

Kingscourt v Lavey - Kingscourt by 5

Sunday 5th August

Round 2 Group 1
Swanlinbar v Crosserlough - Swad by 2

Round 2 Group 1
Drumgoon v Ramor United - Ramor by 3

Round 2 Group 4
Ballyhaise v Drung - Ballyhaise by 2

Round 2 Group 1
Redhills v Castlerahan - C'rahan by 5

Round 2 Group 4
Drumalee v Ballinagh - draw

Bananas

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 01, 2012, 11:12:17 PM
Why does he think he is worthy of a place on the Cavan team, he hasn't played a really good game in a couple of years. I don't like saying that as I genuinely thought he was destined for great things. Maybe he needs a break to get his head right but he could have played for a couple of more weeks with ballyhaise and then took his break. I'd say his team mates feel let down, I hope they all up their games to compensate.

That's very harsh in my opinion. I get to a lot of games and seen him play 4 times last year and in each game he stood out as the best player on the pitch. I think Cullivan's style of play attracts criticism from others but having spoken to a few that play alongside him they don't have a bad word to say about the man. He also left himself open to abuse when he got sent off against Donegal last year but again, this isn't enough to label a player on.

If any player feels he needs to get a break from the game and clear his head then they are dead right. Nobody is contracted to play. And it would probably suit Ballyhaise better as a team to know he isn't going to be playing then to have to be hoping he lands at each game and what not.

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 01, 2012, 11:29:40 PM
Lads
Theres more to the story than what some of ye may know or think but its not something that has a place on a public forum.

Well said. And I'm sure you know him better than most on here.

Doubtful about Ramor's ability to beat Drumgoon however! They looked truly shocking against Castlerahan. And I'd have my money on Gowna beating Cuchulainns as well. Haven't seen Ballinagh this year either but if they are in any way as good as last year they should overcome this Drumalee team in my opinion. Should be very tight in the 3 games though, the last 2 in particular!

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 01, 2012, 11:17:35 PM

Cavan Gaels excuse for minor amalgamation. Reads like a load of bollix to me. How many excuses does her give?

Lads on holidays
Other sports
Trying to bring lads on.

Which one is it?

County board need to put some rules in place for amalgamations or there will soon be only 2 teams in the championship.

I agree that things have gotten out of hand this year and 80% of the teams amalgamated for this championship are amalgamating because they are chasing glory and not because they are short of numbers. However, I'm of the opinion that if Kingscourt are allowed amalgamate last year then the Gaels should not be treated any differently and should be allowed to amalgamate this year. The excuses given are silly though. Why didn't he just call a spade a spade and say that they're amalgamating because they wouldn't be strong enough to win it on their own. Sad, but true (and is the case with most of the amalgamated teams).

Disappointing to think about the countless number of players that will quit football because of these new and unnecessary amalgamations.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Bananas on August 02, 2012, 12:07:04 AM

That's very harsh in my opinion. I get to a lot of games and seen him play 4 times last year and in each game he stood out as the best player on the pitch. I think Cullivan's style of play attracts criticism from others but having spoken to a few that play alongside him they don't have a bad word to say about the man. He also left himself open to abuse when he got sent off against Donegal last year but again, this isn't enough to label a player on.

If any player feels he needs to get a break from the game and clear his head then they are dead right. Nobody is contracted to play. And it would probably suit Ballyhaise better as a team to know he isn't going to be playing then to have to be hoping he lands at each game and what not.

Lads

Doubtful about Ramor's ability to beat Drumgoon however! They looked truly shocking against Castlerahan. And I'd have my money on Gowna beating Cuchulainns as well. Haven't seen Ballinagh this year either but if they are in any way as good as last year they should overcome this Drumalee team in my opinion. Should be very tight in the 3 games though, the last 2 in particular!

Lads on holidays
Other sports
Trying to bring lads on.

Which one is it?

I agree that things have gotten out of hand this year and 80% of the teams amalgamated for this championship are amalgamating because they are chasing glory and not because they are short of numbers. However, I'm of the opinion that if Kingscourt are allowed amalgamate last year then the Gaels should not be treated any differently and should be allowed to amalgamate this year. The excuses given are silly though. Why didn't he just call a spade a spade and say that they're amalgamating because they wouldn't be strong enough to win it on their own. Sad, but true (and is the case with most of the amalgamated teams).

Disappointing to think about the countless number of players that will quit football because of these new and unnecessary amalgamations.

Bananas - when I said he hadn't played a good game in a few years I meant for Cavan (reading back I didn't make that clear) and I should have also said that I rate his ability highly so I am expecting more  than an average performance. If something else is at the back of this then fair enough, lets leave it at that.

On amalgamations, my point is that Gaels are one team certainly strong enough on their own and if even they put glory of winning above giving all their players a run then I think we've got a problem. I don't believe in leaving lads behind. There needs to be some sort of rule introduced to ensure only teams that need to amalgamate are allowed to otherwise we will turn football into a game for the elite.

TheThirdManning

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 02, 2012, 08:22:04 AM
Quote from: Bananas on August 02, 2012, 12:07:04 AM

Lads

Lads on holidays
Other sports
Trying to bring lads on.

Which one is it?

Bananas - when I said he hadn't played a good game in a few years I meant for Cavan (reading back I didn't make that clear) and I should have also said that I rate his ability highly so I am expecting more  than an average performance. If something else is at the back of this then fair enough, lets leave it at that.

On amalgamations, my point is that Gaels are one team certainly strong enough on their own and if even they put glory of winning above giving all their players a run then I think we've got a problem. I don't believe in leaving lads behind. There needs to be some sort of rule introduced to ensure only teams that need to amalgamate are allowed to otherwise we will turn football into a game for the elite.

Looking from the outside in, that seems to be the plan of the County Board.

In fairness something has to be done. I haven't heard anyone speak of one good game in any of the Championships yet.

rodney trotter

Haven't seen Ballinagh this year either but if they are in any way as good as last year they should overcome this Drumalee team in my opinion.

Ballinagh haven't been going well this year, although neither have Drumalee. That's a 50/50 game. Ballinagh have gone back since last year when they beat Cavan Gaels in the group and got to the semi's.

Westside

I agree with Myles on the amalgamations thing. On one hand the county board should be showing a stronger hand here and it seems very difficult to justify amalgamations at Minor level for clubs like Cavan Gaels.

On the other hand that doesn't absolve The Gaels from taking some responsibility here, saying that the league was full of amalgamated teams and an amalgamated team won it, that is not an acceptable excuse. If Cavan Gaels were getting 20 point hammerings against amalgamated teams and were unable to compete then perhaps they would have a case. To be there or there abouts and join with Killigarry because they are frustrated that their complete domination has been challenged looks against the real aim of Juvenille sports.

boojangles

Quote from: Westside on August 02, 2012, 11:38:42 AM
I agree with Myles on the amalgamations thing. On one hand the county board should be showing a stronger hand here and it seems very difficult to justify amalgamations at Minor level for clubs like Cavan Gaels.

On the other hand that doesn't absolve The Gaels from taking some responsibility here, saying that the league was full of amalgamated teams and an amalgamated team won it, that is not an acceptable excuse. If Cavan Gaels were getting 20 point hammerings against amalgamated teams and were unable to compete then perhaps they would have a case. To be there or there abouts and join with Killigarry because they are frustrated that their complete domination has been challenged looks against the real aim of Juvenille sports.

Two wrongs don't make a right and there is something wrong when Cavan Gaels can't field on their own however the Minor Board and previous Boards have been very lax on clubs amalgamating for too long now. In the past they and Bord Peil na nOg have also let clubs drop down divisions when it was obvious their only intentions was to win a cup. They have also let clubs chop and change who they want to amalgamate with over the years. No consistency. I have said it before and I'l say it again, if amalgamations are ever going to work at Senior level there will have to be a continuation on from underage eg. Redbridge, St Joes and not the case where Ballinagh and Cornafean amalgamate one year and Lacken and Cornafean amalgamate the next year. All of this has culminated in what we have now in our Minor Championship.
I don't remember the then Senior champions Kingscourt amalgamating being front page news of the sports section last year. You can point the finger at Cavan Gaels all you want but they are only looking to stay one step ahead in a competition that has not been run in the right spirit for over a decade now.