Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: Bananas on July 29, 2012, 02:46:45 AM
Hello to all, new to the thread and hope I can contribute in some way. Often read the comments here as most posters seem to be more open-minded and mature in comparison to those on Hoganstand and then I decided I'd register.

I see RichieJ has extended the audience to which he spouts nonsense to so as soon as I set up my ignore list (if there is one) I should be good to go!

Been to 5 of the club championship games so far this week and haven't really been impressed at all. Some of the football has been shocking. This was my rundown on events (apologies if it's too lengthy) :

Gaels vs Lavey:
The Gaels looked disjointed against Lavey but never had to take it up a notch because they looked comfortable throughout even though they never led by much at any stage. Lavey looked like exactly what they are, a young, inexperienced team but there is a lot of players to work with there.

Players who impressed me : Gaels - Martin Dunne and Mickey Lyng (sub) .. Lavey - Darren Smith, Shane Tierney and Joey Jordan

Players who disappointed me : Gaels - Conor McClarey and Declan Meehan .. Lavey - Karl Duke

Ballyhaise vs Butlersbridge
Only got in for the second half of the Butlersbridge vs Ballyhaise game so hard to comment but from the sounds of things I didn't miss much. Ballyhaise looked unsure of themselves in the second half but managed to rack up a nice tally in the end despite having a man sent off and the team looking short of ideas at times. Does anybody know is Ray Cullivan on holidays or injured? Could be a game winner for Ballyhaise in a close game.

Players who impressed me: Butlersbridge - No.21 at full forward caused problems (Unsure of name... Keith Gumley?)
Ballyhaise - Stephen Smith and Shane McKiernan

Players who disappointed me: N/A

Castlerahan vs Ramor :
Castlerahan ran riot against a shocking (albeit inexperienced) Ramor team. Ramor looked clueless as to what each player's job was and they didn't know what to do when they got the ball. Anton Reilly and James McEnroe are two huge losses though. Castlerahan looked very good and took their foot off the gas for the last few minutes.

Players who impressed me: Castlerahan - Oisin O'Connell (Kicked about 1-08), Cian Mackey, Enda O'Connell
Ramor - Aaron Farrelly (One good save, solid kickouts) and Simon Cadden

Players who disappointed me: Castlerahan - N/A
Ramor - Jack Brady, Damien Barkey, Ado Cole

Cootehill vs Drung: A tightly contested game that I would not describe as exciting by any means. Cootehill sealed the game with a well taken goal by Enda Hessin and Drung never looked like coming back. Joshua Hayes injured/away?

Players who impressed me: Cootehill- Enda Hessin, John McCutcheon (My motm)
Drung- Killian Monahan

Players who disappointed me: Cootehill- N/A
Drung - Barry Watters, Michael McEntee, Paddy McEntee

Belturbet vs Drumalee
An important game by all accounts but Belturbet's efficient target man tactics proved the difference in my opinion. Ollie Donohoes proved a handful on the edge of the square and Bleturbet are the first team that I have seen use the new square ball rule to great effect. He was indirectly involved in both goals as a high ball in on the square caused chaos frequently. Beltrubet's inaccuracy in front of goal may cost them against a stronger side though.

Players who impressed me: Belturbet - Mark Teevan, Johnny Klusche, Kevin McConnell
Drumalee - Mickey Brennan (Solid free taker), Damien Donohoe (Worked hard, some great passes)

Players who disappointed me: Belturbet - N/A. (Jayo and Bud got a nice goal each but will need to do more against a stronger team.)

Drumalee - Jimmy Fallon, Kevin Donohoe.

That's just my take on things. Would love to hear the opinions of others regarding the club championship and less talk about Seanie J and co!

Great report Bananas. Oisin O Connell was brillant against Ramor. He has to be a certain starter for the All Ireland Semi. Himself and Enda were dropped for the Leinster final which i couldn't understand as they had been playing well up to that game.

cogito

I think it is time Richie was given the boot from this forum. Sick of logging in and seeing his foul-mouthed rants.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cogito on July 29, 2012, 11:19:18 AM
I think it is time Richie was given the boot from this forum. Sick of logging in and seeing his foul-mouthed rants.
Seems like the mods are on holidays!

Bananas

Quote from: Richiej on July 29, 2012, 05:49:58 AM
Wow!! its a pity that Declan Meehan and McClarey dissapointed you... I must tell mickey you were dissapointed... He will be upset.
Great analysis of the game though, i can see where your contribution to this forum will be of some benefit for the assholes who dont live in Cavan.
At least you will know what time the games are on and that in itself can take pages here for mylestheslasher and his merry band of "yes nodding dogs"!!
My advice to you is dont go against mylestheslasher or you will have everyone inclucding" mr tommy agreeable smith coming in to back up mylesthe seanie hater!!
These w**kers hate the hoganstand but they cant take their eyes off it for news. Their bollox wouldnt get printed there so the " seanie hater "myles would be banned long ago. He use to be there ... the p***k!
I see Seanie is just 3 steps away from the celtic cross.............Word is he will be back playing with the gaels soon......if that move rags mylesthe"seanie hater" well im all for it!
So bananas post away with your crap about who dissapoints you and who doesnt,
The Oliver Plunkett Cup Will still be around the Rossa come late Sept.
Pop in and have a look if your passing..........Maybe those Gaels players who have dissapointed you might be there to welcome you!
In the meantime keep your valueable imformation comming............and il be back next May when Sir Terry sends the soldiers out for battle in year 2 of the 4 year plan....
They say Sam is heading for Cavan in 2017!!
Well thats the plan anyway!!
I hope Antrim or Fermanagh or London dont spoil the party!!!

Another well-written, constructive post richiej. It's because of people like you that many neutrals dislike the gaels and like to see them losing. Speaking of ''assholes who dont live in Cavan'' doesn't it say on Hoganstand that your county is UK? Ironic...

Hopefully you'll be gone from this site by the next time I log on.

Agree Rodney Trotter. Both had a great game and although Ramor were poor they still had a job to do and done it excellently. Couldn't understand why they were dropped myself either!

Thanks mylestheslasher, Will be at the majority of them as I've little else to be!  ;)  I think it's hard to tell from one championship game but having seen them 3 times in the league I think they will be capable of beating anyone on their day, gaels included. (Although I don't think Mackey would be suited to playing midfield against a big Gaels 8 and 9). Gowna vs Mullahoran today will be interesting but I have my doubts as to whether either can mount a serious challenge. Kingscourt should beat Denn too and I don't think much can be learned from that game, will try to get in for it anyway though!

tommysmith

Bananas dont worry about richiej it is obvious that he has mental health issues.

packiedevlin

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 28, 2012, 03:24:04 PM
Quote from: packiedevlin on July 28, 2012, 12:48:28 PM
Lads, can we just leave the seanie situation now , its done and dusted so lets move on. We're sick and tired of going over and over it again and again. Hes not worth talking about one second longer. We should be talking about the club championship or the Cavan junior game against Kerry and not seanie flaming johnson! In going with that, Killeshandra were mighty lucky last night with 2 pens in the last  5 minutes, it was very very harsh on BMH who were the best team for the full 60mins. Hopefully they can pick themselves up for next week and give Drumlane a good rattle. Killeshandra will have to improve greatly if they're going to stay in the championship very long as they're playing very poorly and have been in the last few games, a number of the players are just not performing for whatever reason.

Wasn't home for the game. Who scored the pens and what was the FF line that started?

I think Killeshandra should have a good team but the confidence must be low - sometimes winning a game in a poxy manner like that can get that little bit of momentum you need to go on a winning run.

FF line was Sean McKiernan, Daniel Luby and Cyril Reilly. Luby scored the first penalty and Declan McKiernan scored the second.

Denn Forever

Bananas you don't need to give your analysis on the Denn game theres a good fella.

Lest we forget.

GAA Football All Ireland Junior Championship Semi-Final – Kerry v Cavan on Saturday August 11th at 3:30pm in MacDonagh Park Nenagh.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 30, 2012, 04:05:00 PM
Bananas you don't need to give your analysis on the Denn game theres a good fella.

Lest we forget.

GAA Football All Ireland Junior Championship Semi-Final – Kerry v Cavan on Saturday August 11th at 3:30pm in MacDonagh Park Nenagh.

Shame a few lads like Declan McKiernan and Joshua Hayes are unable to play that match.

Swadman

They (UK) take tinterweb abuse more seriously than we do, it seems.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19059127

Still, we best mind our P's & Q's when "givin' out"........eh Rich?

Bananas

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 30, 2012, 04:05:00 PM

Lest we forget.

Haahaha, I think everybody who heard about the game will have the gist of what happened  ;)

Gowna v Mullahoran was really quite shocking. Is this the calibre of the teams that are going to dethrone the Gaels? Awful stuff...

rodney trotter

The change of Format in the championship will improve the games. I doubt there would be hammerigs like the one Denn got on Sunday. I think Denn are out of their debt for Senior football this year, they are the only team from the Senior championship playing in Division 2 and they are very up and down in division 2.

boojangles

Quote from: Bananas on July 29, 2012, 02:46:45 AM
Hello to all, new to the thread and hope I can contribute in some way. Often read the comments here as most posters seem to be more open-minded and mature in comparison to those on Hoganstand and then I decided I'd register.

I see RichieJ has extended the audience to which he spouts nonsense to so as soon as I set up my ignore list (if there is one) I should be good to go!

Been to 5 of the club championship games so far this week and haven't really been impressed at all. Some of the football has been shocking. This was my rundown on events (apologies if it's too lengthy) :

Gaels vs Lavey:
The Gaels looked disjointed against Lavey but never had to take it up a notch because they looked comfortable throughout even though they never led by much at any stage. Lavey looked like exactly what they are, a young, inexperienced team but there is a lot of players to work with there.

Players who impressed me : Gaels - Martin Dunne and Mickey Lyng (sub) .. Lavey - Darren Smith, Shane Tierney and Joey Jordan

Players who disappointed me : Gaels - Conor McClarey and Declan Meehan .. Lavey - Karl Duke

Ballyhaise vs Butlersbridge
Only got in for the second half of the Butlersbridge vs Ballyhaise game so hard to comment but from the sounds of things I didn't miss much. Ballyhaise looked unsure of themselves in the second half but managed to rack up a nice tally in the end despite having a man sent off and the team looking short of ideas at times. Does anybody know is Ray Cullivan on holidays or injured? Could be a game winner for Ballyhaise in a close game.

Players who impressed me: Butlersbridge - No.21 at full forward caused problems (Unsure of name... Keith Gumley?)
Ballyhaise - Stephen Smith and Shane McKiernan

Players who disappointed me: N/A

Castlerahan vs Ramor :
Castlerahan ran riot against a shocking (albeit inexperienced) Ramor team. Ramor looked clueless as to what each player's job was and they didn't know what to do when they got the ball. Anton Reilly and James McEnroe are two huge losses though. Castlerahan looked very good and took their foot off the gas for the last few minutes.

Players who impressed me: Castlerahan - Oisin O'Connell (Kicked about 1-08), Cian Mackey, Enda O'Connell
Ramor - Aaron Farrelly (One good save, solid kickouts) and Simon Cadden

Players who disappointed me: Castlerahan - N/A
Ramor - Jack Brady, Damien Barkey, Ado Cole

Cootehill vs Drung: A tightly contested game that I would not describe as exciting by any means. Cootehill sealed the game with a well taken goal by Enda Hessin and Drung never looked like coming back. Joshua Hayes injured/away?

Players who impressed me: Cootehill- Enda Hessin, John McCutcheon (My motm)
Drung- Killian Monahan

Players who disappointed me: Cootehill- N/A
Drung - Barry Watters, Michael McEntee, Paddy McEntee

Belturbet vs Drumalee
An important game by all accounts but Belturbet's efficient target man tactics proved the difference in my opinion. Ollie Donohoes proved a handful on the edge of the square and Bleturbet are the first team that I have seen use the new square ball rule to great effect. He was indirectly involved in both goals as a high ball in on the square caused chaos frequently. Beltrubet's inaccuracy in front of goal may cost them against a stronger side though.

Players who impressed me: Belturbet - Mark Teevan, Johnny Klusche, Kevin McConnell
Drumalee - Mickey Brennan (Solid free taker), Damien Donohoe (Worked hard, some great passes)

Players who disappointed me: Belturbet - N/A. (Jayo and Bud got a nice goal each but will need to do more against a stronger team.)

Drumalee - Jimmy Fallon, Kevin Donohoe.

That's just my take on things. Would love to hear the opinions of others regarding the club championship and less talk about Seanie J and co!

Welcome Bananas. Informative first post and it's great to have somebody who has an interest in the club scene and has the time to attend. Keep it up!
And I hope you have gotten over the disappointment of the above players performances. To disappoint paying spectators is the last thing any club player wants to do and I hope all the above players will endeavour to improve their performances tenfold to avoid any further disappointments. :P

Bananas

Quote from: boojangles on July 31, 2012, 11:04:51 PM
Welcome Bananas. Informative first post and it's great to have somebody who has an interest in the club scene and has the time to attend. Keep it up!
And I hope you have gotten over the disappointment of the above players performances. To disappoint paying spectators is the last thing any club player wants to do and I hope all the above players will endeavour to improve their performances tenfold to avoid any further disappointments. :P

Maybe disappointed wasn't a good word to use! I do feel a like a bit of a pr*** bad mouthing players when they put in so much effort and all that but you have to admit it's very hard to discuss a game with someone without criticising anyone?

boojangles

Quote from: Bananas on July 31, 2012, 11:24:48 PM

Maybe disappointed wasn't a good word to use! I do feel a like a bit of a pr*** bad mouthing players when they put in so much effort and all that but you have to admit it's very hard to discuss a game with someone without criticising anyone?

I'm only slagging ya! If any of the players are reading they will no doubt use it as motivation to improve for the next game. A bit of criticism never did anybody any harm!! As long as it's not personal abuse.....
You mentioned Ray Cullivan. I have heard that he is taking a break from football. Will no doubt be a huge loss to Ballyhaise. They definitely could have done with somebody like him Thursday evening.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: boojangles on August 01, 2012, 12:09:32 AM
Quote from: Bananas on July 31, 2012, 11:24:48 PM

I'm only slagging ya! If any of the players are reading they will no doubt use it as motivation to improve for the next game. A bit of criticism never did anybody any harm!! As long as it's not personal abuse.....
You mentioned Ray Cullivan. I have heard that he is taking a break from football. Will no doubt be a huge loss to Ballyhaise. They definitely could have done with somebody like him Thursday evening.

Its a pity you weren't as shite on the Wednesday of the week before!!!!!  ;D
As for Cullivan, well we have all heard the saying, if you can't say nothing good about something, say nothing at all.
So its a big No comment from me about the situation.