Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Yeah but the point i was making was the CB cant be seen to be stoping teams joining up when they will be making teams join up next year.

It will be interesting to see how it will go next year

Divsion 2 will have 20 teams so 19 games each.

Intermediate championship 20 teams and has to be finished by may/june, i would not like to be on fixtute commitee next year.

rodney trotter

Quote from: tommysmith on July 24, 2012, 04:49:08 PM
Yeah but the point i was making was the CB cant be seen to be stoping teams joining up when they will be making teams join up next year.

It will be interesting to see how it will go next year

Divsion 2 will have 20 teams so 19 games each.

Intermediate championship 20 teams and has to be finished by may/june, i would not like to be on fixtute commitee next year.

Division 2 into two sections next year. Division A and B, each division would have 10 teams, 9x2 so 18 games. Still alot of games, probaly a feburary start again next year ::)

Westside

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 24, 2012, 04:20:38 PM
It's a credit to a club like Templeport that they are going alone for the minor championship while the lots of the teams are made from amalgamations. They are a Junior club, while senior clubs like Cavan Gaels and Kingscourt amalgamate with other teams. Templeport should get out of Junior football soon enough, they are very good underage.

Some excellent underage in TP at the minute, I expect them to have perhaps 4 players on the Minor Panel next year and one or two every year after for the next 3 years at least. For a club hit so hard by emigration that haven't have a county player even at Minor Level since probably Shane Maguire back in the mid 90s it's a big deal. That said, like our county side it could be a false dawn, there are very few players there to bring these young lads on and already the signs of them going down the route of their predecessors and interest swaying towards drinking sessions instead of training ones.

The county board are pushing Senior Amalgamations but at least the lads not making the sides can still line out in the intermediate Championship. A fringe player from the Gaels for example losing out to a Killigarry man no longer gets Championship football at all? Doesn't seem quite right.
The O'Raighallaigh Gaels scenario was arguably an incorrect move by the county board but two wrongs don't make a right and for such a proud club setting such high standards I certainly didn't think the Gaels would wave the white flag in the battle against amalgamations so soon and go glory hunting themselves.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Westside on July 24, 2012, 04:55:39 PM
The county board are pushing Senior Amalgamations but at least the lads not making the sides can still line out in the intermediate Championship. A fringe player from the Gaels for example losing out to a Killigarry man no longer gets Championship football at all? Doesn't seem quite right.

Does that not make the Intermediate Championship a kinda Reserve one?

If the Intermediate & Junior Championships are finished by the end of June, damn near every fecker on those teams will go away for the summer regardless of leagues.  Plus the Ulster Club Competitions aren't till the end of October - some wait for them

it also means that the average club footballer i.e. one who won't make a 3 or 4 team (amalgamation), so you probably talking 12+ on every team will have no championship football at all during the summer months...  wow I can't wait to look forward to that...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

tommysmith

Quote from: Celt_Man on July 24, 2012, 05:03:26 PM

If the Intermediate & Junior Championships are finished by the end of June, damn near every fecker on those teams will go away for the summer regardless of leagues.  Plus the Ulster Club Competitions aren't till the end of October - some wait for them

it also means that the average club footballer i.e. one who won't make a 3 or 4 team (amalgamation), so you probably talking 12+ on every team will have no championship football at all during the summer months...  wow I can't wait to look forward to that...

You will be ok Cootehill will be Senior next yr  :P

Celt_Man

Quote from: tommysmith on July 24, 2012, 05:11:44 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on July 24, 2012, 05:03:26 PM

You will be ok Cootehill will be Senior next yr  :P

Oh dead certs!!  Then we will just have to play an amalgamated team of Kill, Drung, Drumgoon (assume they don't win the Senior Championship this season) and maybe Laragh as well...

CC1

Quote from: hardstation on July 24, 2012, 03:47:20 PM
In for a penny, in for a pound after the complete farce of O'Raghallaigh Gaels was permitted last year.
Rubbish. Again, what do you suggest Shercock should have done? They didn't have enough players to field a team, as is the case again this year. This is due to the fact that Bailieborough couldn't commit to an amalgamation as Killann Gaels at minor and u16 level last year. O'Raghallaigh Gaels have a history of amalgamations so why not?

If we hadn't won, nobody would have said a word.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

tommysmith

Quote from: CC1 on July 24, 2012, 05:20:17 PM
In for a penny, in for a pound after the complete farce of O'Raghallaigh Gaels was permitted last year.
Rubbish. Again, what do you suggest Shercock should have done? They didn't have enough players to field a team, as is the case again this year. This is due to the fact that Bailieborough couldn't commit to an amalgamation as Killann Gaels at minor and u16 level last year. O'Raghallaigh Gaels have a history of amalgamations so why not?

If i remember right there was plenty of giving out about it as soon as it was announced.

Celt_Man

Quote from: CC1 on July 24, 2012, 05:20:17 PM

Think it was the fact that Kingscourt were MFL Division One Champions and then they were amalgamated...  Imagine if it was Cavan Gaels who won Division 1 league and then joined up with someone else...  the uproar would have been unreal

drici

CC1

This amalgamation had been decided at the start of the year, before the league. The fact that Kingscourt won the league didn't help with people's perception of the amalgamation but none of the critics ever came up with a solution to Shercock's issue of not having the numbers to field a team.

In the final Cavan Gaels, who historically you must remember are an amalgamation of two clubs in Cavan town, were within a couple of scores from winning the game. But for poor finishing, they probably would have won. Yet nobody has been up in arms over their dominance over the decades.

Celt_Man

Quote from: CC1 on July 24, 2012, 05:57:00 PM
This amalgamation had been decided at the start of the year, before the league. The fact that Kingscourt won the league didn't help with people's perception of the amalgamation but none of the critics ever came up with a solution to Shercock's issue of not having the numbers to field a team.

In the final Cavan Gaels, who historically you must remember are an amalgamation of two clubs in Cavan town, were within a couple of scores from winning the game. But for poor finishing, they probably would have won. Yet nobody has been up in arms over their dominance over the decades.

Look Kingscourt winning the MFL or how strong they were has nothing to do with Shercock.  Shercock didn't have enough players for a team then that's exactly what amalgamation are for.  I suppose people are a wee bit surprised, shocked at the lack of ambition (possibly not the right word) of Kingscourt and how they wouldn't continue on in the Championship after being crowned the top minor team in the county during the league

In the final Cavan Gaels, who historically you must remember are an amalgamation of two clubs in Cavan town

Not defending the Gaels but by that statement -  Denn, Laragh, Ramor, Cuchulainns, Castlerahan I think too are all also amalgamations

Part of their dominance is down to their pick but also down to how hard they work as a club training juvenile teams.  Might be an urban myth but I heard of one year they only missed a bare handful of Saturday morning training - one of which was Christmas Day.  Also a lot of other clubs are/were lazy

Yet nobody has been up in arms over their dominance over the decades.

What do you think the amalgamations are for now??

CC1

Quote from: Celt_Man on July 24, 2012, 06:24:50 PM
Look Kingscourt winning the MFL or how strong they were has nothing to do with Shercock.  Shercock didn't have enough players for a team then that's exactly what amalgamation are for. 
I suppose people are a wee bit surprised, shocked at the lack of ambition (possibly not the right word) of Kingscourt and how they wouldn't continue on in the Championship after being crowned the top minor team in the county during the league
I completely understand that Kingscourt winning the MFL had nothing to do with Shercock, but my point is that the amalgamation was organised before the league had started. What you are suggesting whether with or without intent is that people thought Kingscourt should have pulled out of the amalgamation after the MFL and left Shercock without a team for the MFC. I'm sorry but it doesn't and shouldn't work like that, especially with the history the two clubs have together.

Not defending the Gaels but by that statement -  Denn, Laragh, Ramor, Cuchulainns, Castlerahan I think too are all also amalgamations
Absolutely, and neither I or anyone else had a problem with any of them despite their success (20 SFC wins between them) over the years. Why, suddenly, should O'Raghallaigh Gaels be any different?

Part of their dominance is down to their pick but also down to how hard they work as a club training juvenile teams.  Might be an urban myth but I heard of one year they only missed a bare handful of Saturday morning training - one of which was Christmas Day.  Also a lot of other clubs are/were lazy
Again, I don't have a problem with any of that. It is peoples hypocrisy over O'RG that I have the problem with. For what its worth, the O'RG players put in a serious amount of training long before people outside of Kingscourt and Shercock even knew about the amalgamation.

What do you think the amalgamations are for now??
I can only speak for my own club on this and they joined because Shercock and Kingscourt to a lesser extent struggle to field a team on their own.

Swadman

West Cavan Gaels - Kildallon / Corlough / Shannon Gaels / Swanlinbar

Just heard that Shannon Gaels have pulled out of this amalgamation. Don't know for sure why. Our lot can only now make up the numbers with  U-16's so they will look to get into Div2 

tommysmith

Minor Championship Fixtures

1.    Templeport v North East Gaels
Winners v West Cavan Gaels.

2.    Lavey/Castlerahan v Oliver Plunkets.

3.    St. Josephs v O'Raghallaigh Gaels.