Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Westside on July 17, 2012, 01:44:32 PM
I heard that about Clarke too, also heard he felt that the training and commitment in general around the panel was of a poor standard. If that's why he left well then you couldn't fault him too much. He never lacked for effort any time I saw him playing. Sticking him in corner back is a sign of just how shy of options we are in the full back line. Similar to when Val stuck McCutcheon in corner back against Donegal last year when he was having a stormer at wing back.

I would be slightly worried for Killian Clarke. Two roastings in his first two Senior games won't do his confidence any good. At times on Sunday he was doing his best to stop O'Connor, fouling him even and still couldn't halt his charges forward. He is very young and has a long time to learn but playing in the full back line for Cavan seems to be the fastest route to fading out of the team completely.

Was I the only one who thought McDermott did well enough on Sunday? I thought he was part of some of Cavan's best moves going forward, he weaved through the defence at one point in the first half and Kildare had to take him down, got himself into a great position for a goal in the second half before Flanagan fluffed the pass at the vital moment. His shooting was no better than the rest of our team on the day and he missed an easy free but I thought he did very well in patches. Jack on the other hand seems to have lost a few yards of pace.

No westside,i agree, his general play was very good,but as we know his shooting let him down just like most of the other Cavan forwards.
With regards Jack Brady losing pace,Are you referring to the incident when Jack was beaten by Ollie Lyons in a sprint in the second half???
Jack is quick,but he doesn't have Larry or Niall Smith-esque speed and Lyons is lightening fast.

packiedevlin

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 16, 2012, 11:56:42 PM
I forgot Alan Clarke actually,Hes the best Centre Half back in the county so he should absolutely be there.

We need to look at lads like

Tomas Reily (Killeshandra) (Myles can tell us what the deal is with him????)
Brendan Murray(Killygarry)
Donal Thomas(playing outstanding stuff for Killygarry this year)
Sean Mac(who had a stormer of a game on both Ray Galligan and Niall McKiernan last week)
Conor Madden(Gowna) (minor this year and an outstanding prospect with size and heaps of ability)
Conor Finnegan(Lacken) Another outstanding prospect with size and strength who can take a score from distance.
Cian McEnroe(Castlerahan)Minor panelist last year ik believe,a  big man with a massive left boot,whom has been scoring for fun from well outside 45 metres this year.

All lads around the 6'2 mark or over whom are good footballers. There are more out there also.
Gaelic Football is not a complicated science.
If you can get a big, athletic team and install a defensive system with a sprinkling of talented players in certain key positions,you can be competitive against nearly anyone in the country.

Tomas Reilly is playing away with Killeshandra., primarily at midfield with Declan McKiernan centre-back!

Westside

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 17, 2012, 02:34:12 PM
No westside,i agree, his general play was very good,but as we know his shooting let him down just like most of the other Cavan forwards.
With regards Jack Brady losing pace,Are you referring to the incident when Jack was beaten by Ollie Lyons in a sprint in the second half???
Jack is quick,but he doesn't have Larry or Niall Smith-esque speed and Lyons is lightening fast.

I thought he looked sluggish all day but yes that particular race for the ball was the one that stuck out in my mind! Smith is in a league of his own as regards pace but I always thought Jack had a great burst of pace that would outdo most corner backs. Perhaps I'm alone in thinking that but I remember the U21 Final 2011 in particular he looked lightning fast and roasted his man to the ball every time. Then again he's had a lot of football this year between Sigerson, U21, Club and Senior. And to be fair the incident mentioned was late in the game so perhaps I'm making something from nothing.

rodney trotter

Hopefully Oisin Moynagh, Barry Reilly, James McEnroe Rory Dunne and John McCutheon now that he is back to fitness, will all be available next year. The only time i saw Moynagh play with the seniors he was very good, against Louth marking Colm Judge. Barry Reilly is a better player than Nesty, Nesty was decent but had no pace and was all left foot. Barry Reilly can hold down the centre forward role for the next 10 years, loads of ability.

Westside

Nesty was good when he first arrived on the scene but his standards dropped quickly and he was an unreliable undisciplined player in his last few games for Cavan. If he was county material he would have been a Dublin player at some point. Barry Reilly offers more to a team than his considerable potential, as a leader and a spokesman he is worth his weight in gold. He needs a good year of injury free football to develop though, otherwise we could have another Mickey Lyng on our hands. 

I take it you saw the tweets I'm on about then tommy!? Funny enough in fairness but still the criticism is unwarranted I think. Tom Reilly has taken drastic steps to help improve football in Cavan, he's not there to make friends and he has never been afraid to upset the apple cart. He has more integrity than lads who take cheap shots on twitter because he challenged the status quo that they enjoyed so much. He has put the foundation in place for the improvement of Gaelic Games in our county and if we have the balls to see it through I believe it will work.

mylestheslasher

I must get an account on the twitter machine to see what is going on.

rodney trotter

Tom Reilly got a lot of bad press though over the way Val Andrews left. Sort of making out that it was the players that wanted him out when it wasn't. Still i'm happy Terry Hyland is manager, the Kildare result was poor but i think we will improve, we were going nowhere under Val.

Hi folks here is a we 2 mins video we would like you to see.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03nOo-CDoRI&feature=share

tommysmith

Quote from: Westside on July 17, 2012, 04:36:56 PM

I take it you saw the tweets I'm on about then tommy!? Funny enough in fairness but still the criticism is unwarranted I think. Tom Reilly has taken drastic steps to help improve football in Cavan, he's not there to make friends and he has never been afraid to upset the apple cart. He has more integrity than lads who take cheap shots on twitter because he challenged the status quo that they enjoyed so much. He has put the foundation in place for the improvement of Gaelic Games in our county and if we have the balls to see it through I believe it will work.

Yeah i looked them up, he does look like Pat Mustard though  :D

I have no respect for Tom Reilly, he stated at a County Board meeting that he or any member of county board had nothing to do with Vals exit only for Pauric Reilly to come out and say it was him or some member of County board who started the whole thing.  He also more or less bullied delagates into accepting Hyland as manager.

Hi folks here is a we 2 mins video we would like you to see.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03nOo-CDoRI&feature=share

rodney trotter

Quote from: tommysmith on July 17, 2012, 04:56:44 PM

I have no respect for Tom Reilly, he stated at a County Board meeting that he or any member of county board had nothing to do with Vals exit only for Pauric Reilly to come out and say it was him or some member of County board who started the whole thing.  He also more or less bullied delagates into accepting Hyland as manager.

I'd agee with that. It was out of order for a county chairman to say that.

cavanforever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 16, 2012, 11:56:42 PM
I forgot Alan Clarke actually,Hes the best Centre Half back in the county so he should absolutely be there.

We need to look at lads like

Tomas Reily (Killeshandra) (Myles can tell us what the deal is with him????)
Brendan Murray(Killygarry)
Donal Thomas(playing outstanding stuff for Killygarry this year)
Sean Mac(who had a stormer of a game on both Ray Galligan and Niall McKiernan last week)
Conor Madden(Gowna) (minor this year and an outstanding prospect with size and heaps of ability)
Conor Finnegan(Lacken) Another outstanding prospect with size and strength who can take a score from distance.
Cian McEnroe(Castlerahan)Minor panelist last year ik believe,a  big man with a massive left boot,whom has been scoring for fun from well outside 45 metres this year.

All lads around the 6'2 mark or over whom are good footballers. There are more out there also.
Gaelic Football is not a complicated science.
If you can get a big, athletic team and install a defensive system with a sprinkling of talented players in certain key positions,you can be competitive against nearly anyone in the country.

i 100% agree with alan clarke 1 best footballers in the county. was at the killygarry crahan game recently and murray and thomas got 2 hidings with murray been taken off at ht so dont reckon they are county standard. Def wouldnt go near finnegan or mcenroe either 2 big men with big boots but are in and out of there sen teams throughout the year

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 17, 2012, 05:11:17 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on July 17, 2012, 04:56:44 PM

I'd agee with that. It was out of order for a county chairman to say that.

Keoghan wants him out and wants chairmans job himself, heard he wants Hyland out also.

cogito

I'm not convinced the likes of Mackey, Nesty and Co are better than what we have at present. I think in Smith, McDermott and Keating we have three players who will get better the more they play at this level.

One player I defo think could help us though is Alan Clarke. A half-back line of McCutcheon, Clarke and McKeever would bring a lot more physicality and leadership to our defence in my book.

Clarke has a lot of potential but he isn't ready to be a full-back at this level. Let him play in the corner and take some pressure off him. Hopefully Rory Dunne can commit and is fit from the start next year.

And if that is true about Keoghan he should learn to behave himself. He had his shot at the job. It's time to row behind a man who has delivered something basically no other manager since 97 has done - silverware.

Are many Cavan players on Twitter?

anglocelt39

Just about all the names I could think of who could bring a small bit of physicality and experience to the set up have been named and a fair few more so maybe there is hope. The only other names I can think of are M Hannon and Eoin McGuigan. I understand Hannon has retired but he cant be any more than 28 and was very good before injuries started to set him back.

Big pity if Dermot Sheridan is getting involved in this Twitter shitehawkery, don't really care one way or another about Nesty or Mackey I think there's plenty of the young lads who can improve on what they had to offer.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds