Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie g 8

Seanie is a class act,quality point when he came on off the left peg even though game well over at that stage.he owes nothing to Cavan with all the great service he gave and a good addition to Kildare.a few boos by a few fickle fans as if he would care as he got the last laugh

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Ollie on July 16, 2012, 01:44:39 AM
[I was glad to see Seanie Johnston playing. Looking quite fat for a guy who supposedly is training so hard. I was glad as it gave the Cavan supporters a chance to tell him what they thought of him and they did so by loudly booing him as he came on. I will never fathom how he could do what he did today and his legacy is now firmly written in Cavan as a traitor. However, today draws a line under it and Seanie has chosen his path. I hope he gets nothing from his move but it done now, he is no longer a Cavan man - end of story. ]

I don't think Seanie is too bothered about what people think of him. I heard him receive far worse abuse from so called cavan supporters when he was playing for the Gaels. His skin is well thickened at this stage. He went into the lions den today, faced his critics and left with a score to his name and his head held high. Would have much rathered to see him wearing the blue of Cavan today but due to bad team manager, a clueless county board and the stubbornness of Johnston that wasn't to be. Still though the likes of Jack Brady, Keating & Niall Smith shows that we may have a few more stars that may come through the system collectively as a unit that may bring some Joy to Cavan supporters in the future. It's better to look ahead than to be stuck in the past.

Head held high - Are you mad, his head should be hung in shame.

This idea that the county board are somehow to blame is another thing that annoys my hole. The manager selects his panel and his starting 15. Are you telling me that the county board should dictate to the manager who he has on his panel. I suppose they should then tell him who to kick off his panel to make room for the players they bring into it. Maybe the county board should just manage the team then.

I have no connection to anyone on the county board but the current set-up has overseen more trophies than any other in a long long time.

rodney trotter

Kildare are renowned for their brillant fitness levels. I don't think McGeeney would have a over weight player on the team. Johnston isn't fat, he has obviously bulked up alot in the last 7 months. Johnston was always fast and agile. He has now gotten stronger. Look at the rest of the Kildare players, Bolton, kavanagh, Doyle, they all all bulked up and flying fit.

rodney trotter

Players like Cian Mackey, Barry Watters, Ray Cullivan all played with Ireland u18 comprosmise rules. Cullivan and Mackey both captained Ireland. There must be some reason why did never pushed on at senior level, or was it just they were great underage but not beyond that. Too much talent in Cavan is lost after u21. I suppose the Junior Championship is a good way of keep developing players.

tommysmith

Quote from: Stevie g 8 on July 16, 2012, 01:57:39 AM
Seanie is a class act,quality point when he came on off the left peg even though game well over at that stage.he owes nothing to Cavan with all the great service he gave and a good addition to Kildare.a few boos by a few fickle fans as if he would care as he got the last laugh

Are you serious he was about 24 yards from goal.
Quote from: rodney trotter on July 16, 2012, 10:04:51 AM
Kildare are renowned for their brillant fitness levels. I don't think McGeeney would have a over weight player on the team. Johnston isn't fat, he has obviously bulked up alot in the last 7 months. Johnston was always fast and agile. He has now gotten stronger. Look at the rest of the Kildare players, Bolton, kavanagh, Doyle, they all all bulked up and flying fit.

They dont look fat though.

He is a little porky pig now.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: tommysmith on July 16, 2012, 01:16:17 PM
Quote from: Stevie g 8 on July 16, 2012, 01:57:39 AM

Are you serious he was about 24 yards from goal.
Quote from: rodney trotter on July 16, 2012, 10:04:51 AM

They dont look fat though.

He is a little porky pig now.

Kildare are one of the most professional outfits in the GAA when it comes to Diet/Nutrition and Strength and Conditioning.
There is no way they would have a player within their squad whom was overweight.
Body fat assesment would be carried out during fitness testing throughout the year.
I don't agree with him leaving like everyone else bar richiej on here but theres no need for the sly remarks  like "porky little pig" either.

tommysmith

Well porky Seanie then  :D

It will be good to see if the Kildare support will back him when he gets snuffed out of it against one of the top side.  My quess is they wont and they will be telling him to go back to f**k to Cavan.

full moon

cullivan and bud fitz were removed from the panel, what is the logic there anyone?

far too many youngsters on the team, was men against boys yesterday. And older heads like Ronan Flanagan, arent upto to the level required.  Hes given great service to cavan but his performances havent been good enough. we cant line out a forward line where only keating can kick a score.

Regardless yesterday was a disgrace, no gameplan no idea. We made Kildare look like All Ireland champions. The level of performance against  Donegal, a better team I think, was the standard. There is no excuse for losing by 17 points to Kildare. They are good but not that good.

Where to now? Division 3 next year, impossible to predict what sort of squad there will be in place , and relegation from division 3 wouldnt be a shock.

anglocelt39

I suppose we have to give Terry some benefit of the doubt in that he came in and picked up a mess. Val was right to clear a few lads out, think he overdid it in a few cases. Massive inexperience in the panel which explains the mismatch in physique between the two teams. There are a lot of lads in the 27-30 age group who are no longer playing for the County, when they should be at their peak, some of them have been named by other posters. Think Terry needs to look at at everybody over the club championship and look to balance next years league panel a bit more towards experience.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Well anglocelt, not sure if I'm still on ignore but I agree with that.

cogito

Who are the players people want to see back? When they were all there I seem to remember Cavan posters on several different platforms calling for a clear out.

mylestheslasher

Well without knowing the reasons why they were left of the panel I would have thought Gareth smith was worth his place on the panel. Ciaran galligan is athletic but not the greatest footballer but that needs to be worked on. Ger Pierson, could he not be got to put in a few years of commitment. Again, maybe there were good reasons to leave them off. In general, the Cavan management should cast their net wide and maybe 1 it 2 guys could be unearthed.

rodney trotter

Ger Pierson hasn't played any football since august last year. He did his cruciate, did it before around 6 years ago too. Brillant player when on form,pity we never saw more of him in a Cavan jersey, i dont think he will play county football again.

The Cavan u21 from 2005 i think was probaly Cavans most talented team underage. Mckeever,Johnston,Shane Cole,Paddy Brady, Sean Brady,Ciaran Galligan, Damian mcinerny, Gaynor,Dermot mcglade,Michael Lyng.

Only Mckeever is playing with Cavan now, Johnston is no longer a Cavan player. Shane Cole had one year with Cavan seniors and done well under coleman, but didn't feature since then. Paddy Brady had to give up football 5 years ago because of back trouble. Them lads would be in their prime now at 28. We will get better as the team is very inexperienced, but a few more lads that have experience would be good. The present u21's wont work wonders all of a sudden, some might not be good enough, while others need time to improve

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cogito on July 16, 2012, 08:46:57 PM
Who are the players people want to see back? When they were all there I seem to remember Cavan posters on several different platforms calling for a clear out.

For me:

Ciaran Galligan (to try in the half back line)
Dermot Sheridan
Nesty
Mickey Lyng
Martin Cahill
I will also add allowing one of the most skillful players(Keith Fannin) in the county to play outfield.
They all have much to contribute to the cause.
In a perfect world there would be 2/3 others but unfortunately they are unlikely to be in a position to play anytime soon.

tommysmith

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 16, 2012, 10:34:35 PM
Quote from: cogito on July 16, 2012, 08:46:57 PM

For me:

Ciaran Galligan (to try in the half back line)
Dermot Sheridan
Nesty
Mickey Lyng
Martin Cahill
I will also add allowing one of the most skillful players(Keith Fannin) in the county to play outfield.
They all have much to contribute to the cause.
In a perfect world there would be 2/3 others but unfortunately they are unlikely to be in a position to play anytime soon.

I would agree with that Andrews & Co went a bit overboard on the clearout.

For this year a panel/ team could have included

Miller
Clarke
Podge
Cahill
Sheridan
McCutheon
McKeever
Givney
G McKiernan
Lyng
G .Smith
Niall Smith
J. Brady
Keating
N Mcdermott

Thats still leaving a very strong enough bench with like of Hayes, Corr,Fannin, Galligan, Maloney Dernham, Meehan, Mckiernan, Dunne.