Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

8 5 down at ht. Givney off injured, Tierney on. We have been very wasteful and fouling too much.

mylestheslasher

Superb come back, fermanagh shell shocked. Well done to all involved, a credit to the county. Full report later, have to get the dinner.

Westside

How long does it take you to eat a bit of dinner?! :P

mylestheslasher

I had to eat the dinner and then drive 2 hours home but apologies for the delay ;)

Team named were as per my post earlier but there were some positional changes. Jack Brady went to ctr forward, Givney, Keating & Mcdermott in the FF line, Mckiernan and Tom Corr at midfield. Cavan began well and were targeting some high balls in and while they looked dangerous we didn't get as many scores as we should have. Keating missed a great goal chance and spilled another one he should have caught. This plan was abandoned and Jack Brady went closer to goal and Givney came out around the middle. We were 4-2 up but Fermanagh came back into it, playing a slow handpassing game, by-passing midfield by taking short kickouts and landing some out on McKeever side where he was bet for height.

For the last 20 mins of the first half Fermanagh were well on top, the running game drawing lots of frees and they went in 8-5 up. David Givney picked up a bad looking injury before half time and was stretchered off, replaced by Tierney. McLoughlin came on for Clarke at half time as clarke was one foul away from a red (his yellow was ridiculous, got for trying to pull a fermanagh man of Darragh Tighe). McLoughlin did well, getting tight.

We started the 2nd half well with a good point from Jack Brady but Fermanagh reeled off 4 in a row, walking through our defence where Fergal Flanagan was having a torrid time trying to mark Fermanaghs speedy No15 who was playing at ctr forward. These scores bit Fermanagh up by 6 and it could have been worse only Miller made a great save when fermanagh were 1 on 1 with him. We were looking bet at this stage and Fermanagh looked comfortable. Declan McKiernan entered the fray for McKeever, who was doing well in open play but struggling on the kick outs, and made an immediate impact, getting his hands on everything that came his way. Then amazingly things changed when we ran a move with interchanges between McKiernan and Smith put Gearoid in on goal and he side footed calmly to the corner. An almost carbon copy goal followed a minute later when Smith fed McDermott and he rolled into the corner. Another Smith ball found Keating who cut inside and blasted low to the net. We were on top now and Fermanagh couldn't buy a ball anywhere on the field. Tom Corr scored a massive point after shipping a massive hit, G McKiernan got a sweet one of the right foot and D McKiernan another. We went from 6 pts down to 8 pts up at one stage.

Great credit to Hyland and Forde who made good subs although Fergal Flanagan had a really tough time and I'm not sure if he is ready for the role he was asked to play but saying that he is a good lad that tries hard and gives 100% so we should not be too critical. G McKiernan was excellent, Smith did really well in the 2nd half especially. McDermott anf Brady won a lot of possession as did Keating who left tje shooting boots at home. This win will bring the lads on and hopefully we can get a home draw and give someone a rattle.

Big cheer for the result of the Meath match too from the Cavan fans, that's a first!

BigMac

Cavan V Kildare......... You couldn't write it!

boojangles

Great result yesterday. Well Done to all concerned. Now let the circus begin.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: boojangles on July 02, 2012, 04:39:42 PM
Great result yesterday. Well Done to all concerned. Now let the circus begin.

The bigger the circus the better for Cavan. Terry is a shrewd man and this stuff is perfect ammunition for mind games. Unlike many, I think Cavan have a chance in this game. Yes on paper it looks like Kildare will be too powerful for us but I think we might have the passion and the point to prove to those that would label us the "weak" or "small" county that shed its "best" players to the big boys in Kildare. Well now our lads can send a message to the media and to Kildare. The pressure is all on Kildare and if Cavan get some fire in their bellies then why the hell can't we beat them. 

boojangles

I didn't rate the Meath team (bar a few new additions) that beat Kildare yesterday so we could have a chance but our backs will have to improve something serious. Realistically we are 3 or 4 years behind this Kildare team in experience and physical development and bar Kerry we couldn't have been given a worse draw. The pressure is on Mc Geeney but the man is a winner and I fully expect his troops to come out and play like their lives depend on it. If Kildare lose this game four years hard work and millions of euro will have all been for nothing. I don't expect to see SJ play either.

bottom brick

Quote from: boojangles on July 02, 2012, 05:20:29 PM
I didn't rate the Meath team (bar a few new additions) that beat Kildare yesterday so we could have a chance but our backs will have to improve something serious. Realistically we are 3 or 4 years behind this Kildare team in experience and physical development and bar Kerry we couldn't have been given a worse draw. The pressure is on Mc Geeney but the man is a winner and I fully expect his troops to come out and play like their lives depend on it. If Kildare lose this game four years hard work and millions of euro will have all been for nothing. I don't expect to see SJ play either.
Realistically the last four years are already wasted for Kildare because they have no chance of winning anything in the championship this year now.  Leinster was their best hope and they know it. They have arguably declined in the last two years, this years league win aside. I think we might never have a better chance of beating them, especially with the bullshit they will have to put up with regarding SJ in the run up. Having home advantage will be massive for us, more so than ever.
Shoot for dough, pass for show...

Westside

I can't agree with that bottom brick. Kildare will have been targeting Leinster yes, but let's not forget they were in an AI Semi Final two years ago and about a minute away from one last year. They have never lost a qualifier under McGeeney and there will be no element of throwing in the towel, make no mistake they believe they can challenge for Sam. McGeeney will paint a picture of Kildare against the world, siege mentality. Kildare are dangerous, we will be lucky to get anywhere near them unfortunately.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on July 02, 2012, 10:45:36 PM
I can't agree with that bottom brick. Kildare will have been targeting Leinster yes, but let's not forget they were in an AI Semi Final two years ago and about a minute away from one last year. They have never lost a qualifier under McGeeney and there will be no element of throwing in the towel, make no mistake they believe they can challenge for Sam. McGeeney will paint a picture of Kildare against the world, siege mentality. Kildare are dangerous, we will be lucky to get anywhere near them unfortunately.

Was the same not true before Sundays game and Meath handed them their arses on a plate. Dangerous to pay a team too much respect. The pressure is all on them to perform and the media are going to be all over them while Cavan can just sit and wait and go at them with everything we've got. All this just might add up to a shock or it might not but we should not fear them. Lads just need to believe in themselves and tear into Kildare from the start.

Westside

The pressure is all on Kildare Myles I agree.. But if you brush past all the surrounding issues, motivations etc, Kildare should have too much for us. We are not Meath. It will take a few years before we have the mindset to be beating bigger sides. Look at the celebrations when we scored our 3rd yesterday, I know it was a good comeback but I still feel the team's expectations of themselves is quite low.

I don't like being too negative, the lads did brilliantly to get themselves into this round and I'm sure they'll give it their all against Kildare. I hope they go out and tear into Kildare, we will need to run at them. Smith and Gearoid bursting forward can cause problems. Do people think there will be any changes to the starting side? F. Flanagan (apparently, I wasn't there yesterday) had a second poor game in a row. Will he be given a 3rd shot?

Denn Forever

Some interesting reading on Kildare's failings.

I hope you haven't hexxed us Myles with your support of the auld enemy.

I've (Emmet Ryan) put together a tactical analysis piece on the Meath/Kildare game for anyone interested
http://action81.com/blog/?p=5929
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

emmetryan

writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Ollie

Was at the game yesterday. I thought Cavan were on top for the first 15mins then Fermanagh took over and dominated the game until Cavan got their first goal and after that Fermanagh just drifted off. From a positive angle cavan supporters would be delighted with the peformance of the Likes of McKiernan, Corr, Smith, Keating and Jack Brady. These guys give you real hope for the future. The sub that game on McCloughlin was excellent too. He took some big hits for such a slender lad. As for the negatives I think Hyland and Forde will still have to dig deep for more fresh talant as I thought some players on the day were just not suited for County football anymore but wil reserve judgement till after the next game. Also were in need of a solid reliable free taker. A Ronan Caorlan type taker would is a requirement for this team.
As for Kildare, I don't think they're quite All Ireland Contenders but their Miles ahead of us in development and I can see them winning with comfortable margin. I was really hoping for Leitrim or Limerick but we gennerally don't get the luck of the draw.