Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

I think I heard June 30th mentioned as a date for the qualifier games?

mylestheslasher

What's going on with shannon Gaels? Three walkovers conceded in div 2. Yet they have a number of really good players getting into cavan panels. How come they can't field a team and is their a limit to walkovers before you are turfed out?

Swadman

Quote from: scoopmine on May 24, 2012, 03:54:03 PM

..Gearoid McKiernan putting on too much muscle.......

For ages we were saying that the county team were "too small" (true), now G Mac is "too mussley"  Not when you stand up against a lot of the Kildare lads (except Johnston) ;D I agree though that  it's the way he runs when he is unfit,  makes him look a lot worse than he is.
He played for us last Saturday in Kill (ankle heavily strapped) and it's fair to say he controlled midfield for the most of the match despite a good performance by McKenna.

We may have taken Kill by surprise by arriving with two teams - They had been watching a certain Ard Fheis which said we couldn't field :P ::)

Denn Forever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 28, 2012, 01:53:28 PM
What's going on with shannon Gaels? Three walkovers conceded in div 2. Yet they have a number of really good players getting into cavan panels. How come they can't field a team and is their a limit to walkovers before you are turfed out?

Don't know if you saw this on HS.

cavanforsam
County: Cavan

1183190  A work colleague of mine is involved with Shannon Gaels. According to him they have lost 14 players from last year. Only 3 of their starting champ team from 2011 remain. If this is true then that is a serious loss to any club never mind a junior club. According to him young OHara and O donnnell are also heading stateside within next week or so. They have only one player based at home, have 18 students (6 leaving certs) from a panel of 20 players. Also one of their leaving cert lads got a serious concussion early on in the year which has resulted in him not sitting leaving cert this year. This had a huge effect on other students and as a result they have not been able to field teams recently.

It is a pity that a club like this who have produced some really good under age players for Cavan recently find themselves in this situation. Unfortunately the recession has had a major impact on the Blacklion area but I hope that they can get things together for the Summer. I think amalgamations will be a fact of life for small clubs like the Gaels in the future. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 30, 2012, 09:57:01 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 28, 2012, 01:53:28 PM

Don't know if you saw this on HS.

cavanforsam
County: Cavan

1183190  A work colleague of mine is involved with Shannon Gaels. According to him they have lost 14 players from last year. Only 3 of their starting champ team from 2011 remain. If this is true then that is a serious loss to any club never mind a junior club. According to him young OHara and O donnnell are also heading stateside within next week or so. They have only one player based at home, have 18 students (6 leaving certs) from a panel of 20 players. Also one of their leaving cert lads got a serious concussion early on in the year which has resulted in him not sitting leaving cert this year. This had a huge effect on other students and as a result they have not been able to field teams recently.

It is a pity that a club like this who have produced some really good under age players for Cavan recently find themselves in this situation. Unfortunately the recession has had a major impact on the Blacklion area but I hope that they can get things together for the Summer. I think amalgamations will be a fact of life for small clubs like the Gaels in the future.

I didn't see that thanks. Thats a terrible series of events for any club to handle. Maybe they can bail out of the league and try and get the thing back together for the championship. Its only a matter of time before a team cannot survive on its own and the fear is they will have to start bringing in young lads who are not fit for playing senior football. Amalgamations for championship in this case seems the only way.

scoopmine

Does anyone know the story on Cahill and him getting his jaw broke? Hope he recovers and is OK a quality player.

boojangles

Quote from: scoopmine on May 30, 2012, 05:54:32 PM
Does anyone know the story on Cahill and him getting his jaw broke? Hope he recovers and is OK a quality player.

There were 2 lads sent off for Mountnugent. One was a county player, I hear the other lad was responsible. Whatsmyname will maybe tell all?! Not a nice thing to happen any player. I'm not condoning what happened and if you strike a lad you always run the risk of seriously injuring them, but I doubt the lad set out to break Martin's cheekbone. I hope he is ok and back soon.

On another point it's sad to see Shannon Gaels in their current situation. We played them in the League last year and they really looked like a serious up and coming outfit with most of the team under 21. It's something that will become more and more common in Cavan unfortunately.

mylestheslasher

Leinster junior championship

Cavan 4-11 wexford  1-12.

I've no details but looks like a good result.

scoopmine

The Cavan starting fifteen were as follows:

James Farrelly (Kingscourt)
Dara Tighe (Killeshandra)
Rory Dunne (Redhills)
Fergal Slowey (Ballyhaise)
Enda O'Connell (Castlerahan)
Joshua Hayes (Cootehill)
Killian Brady (Mullahoran)
Declan McKiernan (Killeshandra)
Sean Gaffney (Kill) (1.00)
Chris Conroy (Lavey) (1.00)
Martin Reilly (Killygary) (0.02)
Keith Fannin (Drumgoon)
Oisin O'Connell (Castlerahan) (0.01)
Barry McKiernan (Crosserlough) (0.02)
Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels) (1.05)

Substitutes used:
Darren Tiernan (Kill) (0.01) for O O'Connell.
Michael Reilly (Shercock) for M Reilly.
Niall McKiernan (Lacken) for Sean Gaffney.
James Morris (Arva) for D Tighe.
Brendan Murray (Killygary) (1.00) for B McKiernan.

Cavan led at half time on a score line of 3.07 to 0.07 and dominated for much of the game with a good all round team performance. Rory Dunne made a welcome return to the Cavan jersey and put in an excellent shift at full back. A mention also for James Farrelly who 10minutes in to the second half pulled off a brilliant spot kick save only to be beaten with the rebound.

Full time score: Cavan 4.11 Wexford 1.12

mylestheslasher

Who is over the cavan junior team this year?

Glad to see martin Dunne is still involved, fear was he'd jacked it after there was no sign of him on the squad against donegal. Also good to Rory Dunne back too. Well done to them.

whats my name

yea boojangles he broke his jaw alright a melee broke out after the denn full back adrian cahill elbowed david givney in the mouth in an off the ball incident david givney struck him and a free for all occured martin cahill came running into the melee making a charge for david givney and one of our players met him with a box which resulted in his injuries. we wish martin the best and no one wants to see such an injury but the bad press mountnugent are getting over it is not fair they are making it out that martin cahill was in the middle of a melee trying to break it up when in actual fact he made a lung bursting spirint for one wing of the pitch into the middle of the goals to get involved going straight for david givney he went into that melee with the intention of getting david givney as he made a clear run to where david and his brother were fighting he went there with intent and not to break it up as the denn pro is making out on the hoganstand and in doing so he ran the risk of getting hurt himself which he did it was an unfortunate incident but he is no saint in all of this and neither is his brother he went into the melee to cause harm and in doing so he ran the risk of getting hurt himself which he did. im not saying we are saints up here but the way the denn club are making up lies is making my blood boil they had it up on the hoganstand main page that it was an off the ball incident and was unprovoked when clearly it was a melee that happened and he was involved in it.

Westside

Mountugent are getting a name for this kind of thing. I was at a game 2 years ago against them where a huge melee broke out, substitutes got involved and the whole thing got nasty. Luckily nobody was seriously injured and the Referee ended the game early as a draw so as not to make a big issue of it.

Wishing Martin a speedy recovery, nobody knows what he would have done had he reached Givney but he certainly doesn't deserve to get his jaw broken to stop him. Whatsmyname if your version of events are true it was off the ball and unless he threw a punch himself it was unprovoked so the Denn PRO isn't exactly a liar in this situation.

whats my name

if nobody knows what he might have done if he reached givney then why are the denn officals trying to make out that he was going in to try and stop it. it was unfortunate that he got his jaw broke and in fairness nobody wants to see that so we'll leave the disscussion at this and hope he makes a speedy recovery

Denn Forever

Wasn't at the game so can't comment on what happened.  Hope Martin gets better quickly.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 30, 2012, 11:44:00 PM
Who is over the cavan junior team this year?

Glad to see martin Dunne is still involved, fear was he'd jacked it after there was no sign of him on the squad against donegal. Also good to Rory Dunne back too. Well done to them.

Id imagine it's still Terry with Ciaran Fitzpatrick involved also.

PS. Congrats on reaching the 5k mark Myles. Ziggy could be getting nervous!  ;D