Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swadman

Quote from: FermGael on April 12, 2012, 10:52:32 PM
...Fair play to Andrews for knowing where he is not wanted and for having a county board that acted swiftly....Get a care taker in to do a job for the summer.
Leave Hyland with the u-21's and then give him the job after the championship is over.
I agree with you there FG and Hardstations' point about "appointing someone who is not trusted from the beginning and not given a real chance has to end." although this is harder than it sounds as, following any appointment,  there is always a swell of optimistic enthusiasm from 80% and begrudging pessimism from the rest which festers if results aren't instantly forthcoming.
1. Get the right man/team
2. Give him/them 3 years
3. Be patient

BigMac

According to Tom Reilly, the new manager will be from inside the county. The options are fairly limited if that is going to be the case. It's either Hyland, (who will surely not accept it, even if the county board were foolish to offer it to him, due to his commitment with the under 21s) or a combination of Forde and McCabe, as Keoghan is quoted as saying. I really think Hyland should sacrifice the "glitz and glamour" of the senior role for the sake of the U-21s. I don't think he would risk doing both jobs after getting this far with the 21s, surely another crack at an all Ireland wth that age group is preferred to presiding over an almost guaranteed 2 losses in the championship. I don't really know much about McCabe and Forde. McCabe managed the minors, and Forde has the experience with the gaels, but is that enough to try and command the respect off players they have previously played with and against? What other options are there within the county? Surely not King? Jack Bradys father (can't remember his first name) has been the manager of the last four division 1 U-21 winners, 3 with Ramor Munterconnaght, and one with Lavey Kilenkere, so maybe he is the next "high profile" club manager to have a shot at it? Anyone got any other suggestions?

mylestheslasher

Keoghan should keep his trap shut. He had his chance and all he did was bring the players on the piss. He is a muppet and should stick to bar work.

Bigmac - Forde was also a selector on last years U21's and was well thought off. I think I'd let him have a go at it, I read him in the celt too and I think he talks a lot of sense.

Over on HS there is some awful shite being written. Get Joe Kernan or get Micko or maybe Martin McHugh - what planet are these clowns living on? A couple of gaels "fans" reckon it would be a disgrace if Hyland took it. What a shocking thing to say given the incredible work he is doing at U21, just goes to show you that some people will never be happy unless they are bitching about a Cavan manager. I would like to see Hyland stay and focus on the U21's and maybe next year get involved with the senior team.

Is McCabe still over the minor team, if he is he should be left there too.

cogito

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 14, 2012, 02:30:37 PM
Keoghan should keep his trap shut. He had his chance and all he did was bring the players on the piss. He is a muppet and should stick to bar work.

Bigmac - Forde was also a selector on last years U21's and was well thought off. I think I'd let him have a go at it, I read him in the celt too and I think he talks a lot of sense.

Over on HS there is some awful shite being written. Get Joe Kernan or get Micko or maybe Martin McHugh - what planet are these clowns living on? A couple of gaels "fans" reckon it would be a disgrace if Hyland took it. What a shocking thing to say given the incredible work he is doing at U21, just goes to show you that some people will never be happy unless they are bitching about a Cavan manager. I would like to see Hyland stay and focus on the U21's and maybe next year get involved with the senior team.

Is McCabe still over the minor team, if he is he should be left there too.

I think it would be a huge mistake to pull Hyland and McCabe away from the underage teams at this early stage. It would just be narrow-minded and in five years time we might be wondering why we have no good underage players coming through again.

If Forde is clued to most of the players in the set-up then let him see out the season. I mean, what have we to lose? Only thing I am curios about is why he is not with the u21's this time around? Hyland should be left to focus on trying to go one step further than last year.

rodney trotter

The main reason McCabe got the minor job was because of keoghan, and then he got Gary Donahoe along with him. I hope McCabe doesn't get near it.  Forde hasn't much experience of managing teams so i dont know why he is the fav at the min. He was part of the back room with the u21's last year and done well with the Gaels last year when their trainer left but never managed a team. Gary Farrelly would be worth a shot.. He got Denn to a County final and got Dunshaughlin to a county final last year.

Westside

The important thing is not to unduly upset our underage setups when we finally seem to be making progress. Stick Forde in and give him his chance at damage limitation for the Championship. Leave Hyland where he is for the minute and reassess come September time. McCabe should not be going near our Senior team yet. The continued competitiveness of our Minor and U21 teams is more important than making an appointment that looks good in a season that we will achieve little to nothing.

Agree with Myles sentiments on Keoghan. He should not be commenting at all. A spoofer of the highest degree.

cavanmaniac

I agree with all the opinions here. It took us long enough to find a successful formula at underage so to meddle with it now in the hope of some short term gain - that likely won't materialise anyway - would be high folly. Leave well enough alone and get a sticking plaster solution for the seniors and then use the summer to make a truly considered and well thought out choice.

As for Keogan however, his comments about McCabe and Forde (he has a close personal friendship with McCabe too) seem to be a clumsy plant in the media and given his sway on the county board I would worry that there is some genuine fire underneath his smoke.

Denn Forever

QuoteAgree with Myles sentiments on Keoghan. He should not be commenting at all. A spoofer of the highest degree.

Isn't Donal our representative at Congress (he got some high profile job lately any way) and so I'm sure there were many journalists asking his opinion.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Westside

Being asked for your opinion doesn't mean you have to give it. Present a united front and throw out the party line "We feel we have a number of internal candidates and the board and the clubs will discuss possibilities in the coming week" or something to that effect.

To me a disaster of an ex-manager, current county board member proposing 2 inexperienced ex-players one of whom is our current Minor manager shows a severe lack of cop on. I wouldn't expect much better though.

whats my name

just to let you know terry hyland is the manger for the rest of the season

Celt_Man

Quote from: whats my name on April 15, 2012, 05:26:01 PM
just to let you know terry hyland is the manger for the rest of the season

Confirmed??  How did you hear?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

Cadburys U-21 All-Ireland Semi final. Cavan V Roscommon Saturday 21st Longford at 4pm.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cogito

Found these today. It's Terry Hyland and Barry Reilyl speaking after their win the other night. Both come across very well.

I remember seeing Barry criticised Val in a paper before so found his description of Terry very interesting

Terry - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fqBGVooGPE&feature=youtu.be&a

Barry -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN95MSEtgZA&list=UU_dITxUSD5opTnWHtgBCJhg&index=1&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahhjHu-CZOg&feature=relmfu

mylestheslasher

I just read that pearse park is only allowed hold 8k. There were 5.5k in enniskillen on a wednesday night and probablyclose to 5k were from cavan. I woukd expect us to bring nearly 8 on our own. Roscommon should be well supported too. Did anyone hear if it is all ticket?

tommysmith

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 15, 2012, 09:55:33 PM
I just read that pearse park is only allowed hold 8k. There were 5.5k in enniskillen on a wednesday night and probablyclose to 5k were from cavan. I woukd expect us to bring nearly 8 on our own. Roscommon should be well supported too. Did anyone hear if it is all ticket?

No word of tickets but i will be heading as early as i can i dont think it will hold the crowd. 

Cavan could bring 6/7 thousand easily to this.