Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Absolutely delighted with last night.
All club league games will surely be off this weekend then?

Celt_Man

Andrew Resigned this morning...

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2012/04/12/4010004-andrews-resigns-as-cavan-manaer/

Andrews resigns as Cavan manager

Val Andrews has resigned as manager of the Cavan senior football team with immediate effect, The Anglo-Celt can reveal.

Andrews stepped down this morning and, the Celt understands, moves are already afoot to appoint a new management team.

County board chairman Tom Reilly paid tribute to Andrews for his contribution over the past 18 months and for "his courageous decision to step aside for the good of Cavan football".

Reilly denied that the players took a vote on the manager at their meeting in Virginia on Tuesday night.

All parties were keen to avoid a drawn out situation, said Reilly.

"We have to be fair to Val, if he had prolonged this and took a stand, it would have made it very difficult for the board to take sides," he said.

Reilly thanked Andrews for making what he termed "a brave decision for the good of Cavan football and not for any individuals".

It had been reported that the players voted 33-3 in favour of asking Andrews to step down as manager. However, a source has stated that only 26 players were in attendance at the meeting.

A new management team is expected to be in place soon, with the county management committee set to discuss the issue tonight.

A statement from the county board said:

"Following Cavan's exit from the Allianz National football league the senior inter county panel informed the management and board that it was their wish to have a players meeting to analyse their own personal performances from said campaign. The players had the blessing of both management and board to have this meeting.

"A number of issues arose from the meeting and following a discussion with Val Andrews he has decided to tender his resignation as Cavan Senior team manager with immediate effect.

"This decision is yet another example of the genuine interest and love Val Andrews has for Cavan football. Val feels that for the over all well being of the team which he worked selflessly with, a speedy decision is necessary to afford Cavan County board every opportunity to make alternative arrangements for the up coming Ulster Senior football championship and in doing so he wishes the best for Cavan football.

"The Chairman and Officers of Cavan County Board who enjoyed a close relationship with Val would like to express our gratitude to him for his efforts in our County, and wish him and his Family health and good luck in the future."
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

PhilsJemmysField

Delighted all round for the U21 lads, especially that Hyland will remain with the U21 project the approach of having a large squad. Which effectively means that you are creating a conveyor belt of Talent for future years is working and needs to be let continue. As it will have a few bad years too and needs to be let flourish with all the up's and downs that mean. Especially glad to see Conroy from lavey get his chance a good honest ball player. Maybe not his best night but he worked his socks off.

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on April 12, 2012, 04:17:22 PM

You'd expect so... Dessie can run the shite out of ya at training on Friday now!! :P

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Celt_Man on April 12, 2012, 04:55:52 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on April 12, 2012, 04:17:22 PM

You'd expect so... Dessie can run the shite out of ya at training on Friday now!! :P
Il be erhm, "delayed" coming down from Dublin, so don't worry about me  ;)

tommysmith

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on April 12, 2012, 04:46:56 PM
Delighted all round for the U21 lads, especially that Hyland will remain with the U21 project the approach of having a large squad.

Its a great idea, there is probably at least 10 lads on that panel who wont kick a ball in this years championship but will be rearing to go next year and will have gained so much by just being involved. 

Celt_Man

Quote from: tommysmith on April 12, 2012, 04:57:37 PM
Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on April 12, 2012, 04:46:56 PM
Delighted all round for the U21 lads, especially that Hyland will remain with the U21 project the approach of having a large squad.

Its a great idea, there is probably at least 10 lads on that panel who wont kick a ball in this years championship but will be rearing to go next year and will have gained so much by just being involved.

Great idea in fairness... as the man said himself they'll learn nothing at home

mylestheslasher

Anyone hear how bad Barry Reillys injury is, is it a total reoccurance of the hamstring pull. What a shame if it is.

Another shame is that this business with Andrews is overshadowing the brilliant win last night. I suppose my preference at this stage would be to give someone local a shot, maybe Anthony Forde? Hyland has other things to worry about and it would be daft taking him away from that. King hasn't a clue, he should go with Val. It needs to be done very quickly and not dragged out for weeks. Feel sorry for Andrews in a way, nice guy but it was getting  to a stage where he seemed, to me anyway, to be doing more harm than good. I hope the player meeting panned out the way the co board statement says it did and not as out and out player power like what happened to Liam Austin.

boojangles

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 12, 2012, 07:36:54 PM
Anyone hear how bad Barry Reillys injury is, is it a total reoccurance of the hamstring pull. What a shame if it is.

Another shame is that this business with Andrews is overshadowing the brilliant win last night. I suppose my preference at this stage would be to give someone local a shot, maybe Anthony Forde? Hyland has other things to worry about and it would be daft taking him away from that. King hasn't a clue, he should go with Val. It needs to be done very quickly and not dragged out for weeks. Feel sorry for Andrews in a way, nice guy but it was getting  to a stage where he seemed, to me anyway, to be doing more harm than good. I hope the player meeting panned out the way the co board statement says it did and not as out and out player power like what happened to Liam Austin.

I know that the players vote was not the idea of the players anyway. Hopefully the CB can get somebody in that will have the respect of all the players and also the supporters. After the farce against Donegal last year Val Andrews was never going to be that man. By all accounts a genuine guy and I wish him well but ultimately I see him as a failure who was in charge for another wasted 2 years at Senior level for Cavan.

cogito

FermGael

Stay away from the Fermanagh approach to dealing with this mess.  It only leads to a report that can only be seen by the few and left to rumour and gossip for the many,
It will only cause more problems in the long run.

Fair play to Andrews for knowing where he is not wanted and for having a county board that acted swiftly..
Believe me London is not a pretty place in a qualifiers and you have been saved from that.

Get a care taker in to do a job for the summer.  Sure Banty might even be free after tonight as well.
Leave Hyland with the u-21's and then give him the job after the championship is over.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermGael

Quote from: hardstation on April 12, 2012, 11:04:29 PM
Are you not happy with the Fermanagh situation? From the outside, it seems to have worked very well. Having a team on a roll and all pushing the one way can only be good. Fermanagh will be back to at least where they were before the wheels came off, imo. They pulled themselves out of the mire without much effort. I'd be fairly hopeful if I was from Fermanagh.
Very happy with this year so far.
But stay away from reports and the like
Very few got to actually see it in Fermanagh.

The situation with Fermanagh this year has very little to do
with the county board. That's why it is going so well...
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

PhilsJemmysField

From what I am hearing there was very little player power involved in the Andrews "heave". Seems to be more he worked out that the big knobs had no faith in him and the Player Meeting fitted into the engineering around this. The Press Leak / Release and it's timing on the eve of the most important game of the year so far is really telling. So that possibly means our County Board lads have a solution lined up. It will be some craic if we go with a Wolves style approach

whats my name

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on April 13, 2012, 09:55:01 AM
From what I am hearing there was very little player power involved in the Andrews "heave". Seems to be more he worked out that the big knobs had no faith in him and the Player Meeting fitted into the engineering around this. The Press Leak / Release and it's timing on the eve of the most important game of the year so far is really telling. So that possibly means our County Board lads have a solution lined up. It will be some craic if we go with a Wolves style approach
i heard the exact same thing Phil that it was the county board behind Andrews departure

cogito