Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Ollie on March 28, 2012, 01:14:41 AM
Here's hoping for a very slow recovery...

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/bad-news-for-donegal-as-key-man-in-one-man-attack-goes-under-the-knife-0022734-1

That's poor form. He's an amateur player that suffered an injury ffs. I'm hoping it was tongue in cheek, but distasteful all the same.
Hasta la victoria siempre

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 26, 2012, 08:51:05 PM
Fair enough but just refute what you think is rubbish then move on and ignore.  I just found it a bit distasteful the glee some posters expressed when he said he was going.

I think the glee expressed would be commensurate with the annoyance he fostered. I think he got a fairly fair ride on here most of the time until myles quite rightly took him to task. Yes, it's a message board and everyone can have an opinion and so on, but there's a difference between genuine opinion and melodramatic carping...and repetitive melodramatic carping at that.

And besides it wasn't so much opinion and discussion from Richiej, more a one-eyed, frantic and quite bitter vendetta that left a bad taste. It's hard on the eyes to read the same thing over and over again from a person unable to consider or assimilate anyone else's opinion and who keeps banging on and on with the same tired tune. No message board benefits from that and at the end of the day we're here to debate with each other, not to grandstand at each other.

If Val Andrews made one mistake this year then it was commenting on messageboard posters, because at a stroke he recognised the existence of and therefore legitimised and gave increased licence to every loony within a 200 mile radius to jump up and down hysterically on the subject of Cavan football. That's NOT a barb at Richiej in particular by the way, it's more a comment on the general tenor of discussion on another board that this thread prompted me to check out again.

This message board has always been a little bit different and more considered than that and long may it continue.

Denn Forever

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 28, 2012, 02:15:29 AM

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/bad-news-for-donegal-as-key-man-in-one-man-attack-goes-under-the-knife-0022734-1

That's poor form. He's an amateur player that suffered an injury ffs. I'm hoping it was tongue in cheek, but distasteful all the same.

Well said. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

whats my name

its only against cavan after all at the end of the article nice to know we strike fear amongst other ulster counties  ;)

Ollie

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 28, 2012, 09:57:08 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 28, 2012, 02:15:29 AM

Well said.

You're right lads, Lets hope he's fit and ready for the Cavan game on May 20th. Sure our backline are well fit to contain him.... (Get real Lads, You know what I meant!) 

BallyhaiseMan

Donegal with or without Murphy are still going to kick the living shit out of us May 20th.

Westside

There was a time when there was a "you never know.." vibe about Cavan Senior team. That has now gone sadly.
The game against Donegal reminds me of the Cork game 2 years ago. I can't picture in my mind a scenario in which we could win that game.

Ollie

Quote from: Westside on March 28, 2012, 05:32:53 PM
There was a time when there was a "you never know.." vibe about Cavan Senior team. That has now gone sadly.
The game against Donegal reminds me of the Cork game 2 years ago. I can't picture in my mind a scenario in which we could win that game.

Realisticly the Antrim game is more important than the Donegal game. Dropping into division four would be the ultimate disaster.

Westside

Out of interest Ollie, why do you think it would be the ultimate disaster?

rodney trotter

I'd agree with Ollie about going down to div4 being the ultimate disaster. Donegal are playing in Div1 and while they have lost a few games they have beaten both Mayo and Cork, teams we wouldn't have a hope of beating. They were also gave Dublin a good a good game last week till it went downhill losing Murphy and 2 late goals. Playing the likes of Kilkenny, Waterford and London would be the ultimate disaster, you wouldn't learn much playing them and then playing in a Ulster Championship match.

Ollie

I agree with everything Rodney said. If Cavan are to make progress we want to be winning 6 outa 7 games in Division 3 and then be able to hold are own in Div 2.. I think the best we can hope for this year would be to beat Antrim, put in a good performance against Donegal and then make it to round 3 of the qualifiers. Its ambitious but not impossible. Its also similar to what Longford did last year and look how well the League has gone for them this year. Div 4 would be a massive setback for Cavan.

Denn Forever

QuoteIts also similar to what Longford did last year and look how well the League has gone for them this year. Div 4 would be a massive setback for Cavan.

So if we go down, lets get to the Div 4 final and try and emulate Longford (never thought I'd say that).  Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tommysmith

Quote from: Ollie on March 29, 2012, 05:28:53 PM
I agree with everything Rodney said. If Cavan are to make progress we want to be winning 6 outa 7 games in Division 3 and then be able to hold are own in Div 2.. I think the best we can hope for this year would be to beat Antrim, put in a good performance against Donegal and then make it to round 3 of the qualifiers. Its ambitious but not impossible. Its also similar to what Longford did last year and look how well the League has gone for them this year. Div 4 would be a massive setback for Cavan.

Division 4 did Longford no harm last year they had decent championship run and look where they are sitting now this year.  I cant see how it would be a massive setback.  Roscommon also came out of divison 4 and they are doing well enough.  I dont see how it would be a massive setback when it seems to have done others no harm in there rebuilding. 

rodney trotter

It's a disaster as there was a strong hope that this year would have been a big improvement on last year but it could look worse if Cavan were to go down. Trying to get promotion but losing two of your home games is a disaster, and if Cavan were to lose for the 3rd time and home and get relegated it would be a massive setback, regardless of how Longford and Rosscommon did last year in div4.

Ollie

Playing in the same division with the likes of London, Kilkenny & Carlow would very much be a move in the wrong direction.