Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Cooney stays grounded as Andrews labels display a 'joke'

http://hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=164589

19 March 2012

Offaly's under-pressure football manager Gerry Cooney was keeping his feet firmly on the ground after his side claimed their first win in Division 3 of the Allianz Football League.

The Meath man, who was on the verge of quitting last week, said after the two-point victory over Cavan: "We're not going to get carried away, but the lads answered a lot of questions laid down about their character, but I never doubted them.

"They trained really hard during the past week and that was just the reaction I wanted from the defeat to Wexford."

His opposite number, Val Andrews branded Cavan's performance as a 'joke'.

He said: "That performance was totally unacceptable and left us looking like we had 11 men and not 15. There's no excuses and we just didn't step up to the mark, but the buck stops with me. That was a joke today and we're now going to be under pressure to survive in Division 3.

"I wouldn't blame any Cavan fan for wanting to get rid of me because I'm not blameless in this either."
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

mylestheslasher

When a manager starts that type of chat it normally means the end is near.

Westside

Andrews looks like a man who knows he's on the edge. Towards the end of the interview however he did appear bullish. Said to put it behind us and believe that we can go to Hyde next week and beat Roscommon to survive in Div 3.

Also I thought the interview uploaded by Declan Woods of an interview with Givney was a bit disrespectul. Basically put it to him that if they are working as hard in training as we hear they are why are they going out and losing to Offaly?? A 22 year old busting his arse training and making big sacrifices with little to no rewards shouldn't have to be pleading with fans to keep coming out and supporting the team. Another win should keep us up. We have 2 games to do that, we've won in Hyde before and we can do it again.

A win for the U21s on Wednesday night would do wonders for the morale in the county after that defeat.

mylestheslasher

Are these interviews available to view somewhere?

boojangles

Best of luck to our U-21s tonight. There should be no problems with belief within the panel so if the players can better Armaghs work rate then hopefully we can do it.

Denn Forever

In case you don't know (I thought it was at 7.30)

21.03.12 (Wed)Quarter Final

Cavan V Armagh

Time: 8 00 PM , Venue: Kingspan Breffni Pk

Referee: Fergal Cleary

Best of luck lads.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Dougal

Any team named for tonight yet?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Westside

Cavan Team. C. Gilsenan, J. Morris, K. Brady, J. McLoughlin, D. Sexton, C. Moynagh, M. Brady, P. Leddy, K. Clarke, J. Dillon, B. Reilly, F. Flanagan, P. O' Connor, K. Tierney, J. Brady.

That's the team. Not as strong as I thought it would be somehow. Leddy and Clarke at midfield is worrying, neither exactly a powerhouse to win primary possession. A fairly young team overall. Hopefully they can cause an upset tonight. Best of luck to them.

tommysmith

cogito

If Val and his backroom team appear so clueless then how can Hyland keep churning out wins like this? His record at this level over the last three years is second to none I imagine. Two Ulster Finals, an All-Ireland Final and now a good win over the team that won this Ulster title when they were minors. Please god we can reach another Ulster final now

mylestheslasher

Very well done to the team and management. A really good result against the favourites for the title. Lets hope now they can go on to another Ulster final. Couldn't get to the game unfortunately, can anyone present give a report?

Denn Forever

Myles, you won't be happy as yet again we had an extra man for about 15 minutes and they looked as if they had the extra man.

We looked the better team from the start and it was hard to believe Armagh were favourites.

How old is Joe Dillon?  Is he minor this year?  Pick of the team was Tierney at Full Forward.  Big and strong and could take his points well.

Well done all.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tommysmith

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 21, 2012, 10:18:56 PM
Myles, you won't be happy as yet again we had an extra man for about 15 minutes and they looked as if they had the extra man.

Cavans extra man played way to deep so it was man on man out the field.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 21, 2012, 10:18:56 PM

We looked the better team from the start and it was hard to believe Armagh were favourites.

How old is Joe Dillon?  Is he minor this year?  Pick of the team was Tierney at Full Forward.  Big and strong and could take his points well.

Well done all.

Well I'll give them that for once, since they are a effectively a totally separate team to the seniors. But they should learn from it and make sure they don't allow the other team to dominate again.

How did Packie Leddy do at MF and any sign of Patrick King on the team?