Givney
Niall Smith
Nesty
Flanagan
McDermott
Keating
Jack Brady

rodney trotter

If Cavan had every player available including a few who don't want to play county football i'd have a team like this

1. J Reilly 2. Oisin Moynagh 3. Rory Dunne 4. Paul Brady 5. Eamon Reilly. 6 Anthony Gaynor ( despite his discipline problems) 7. John McCutheon. 8. G Mckiernan 9. David Givney 10. Niall Murray 11. E Keating 12. Mark Mckeever 13. Gerald Pierson 14. Niall McDermott 15. Bud Fitz 

Obviously johnston would be on that team aswell but he will never play for Cavan again so no point going there.. That is a type of team i'd like to see but thats only in hindsight a few of them have no interest in playing county. Cullivan, Niall Smith, Ray Galligan,Damian Barkey,James McCenroe and Martin Reilly, Pauric Smith from the gaels i would rate aswell but think he is in oz ,  they would all be close to that team aswell.

rodney trotter

And clearly Ronan Flanagan would be on the team aswell somewhere forgot all about him...

Richiej

If everybody in the County was available well id go for something like this.... mixture of youth and experience,

1. O Mara

2.D Sheridan
3. McCutcheon
4.Watters

5.Clarke/G McKiernan
6.G McKiernan/Gaynor
7.Maloney-Derham

8.Sean Reilly
9.D Givney

10. N Smith
11. Keating
12.Lyng/P Leddy

13. J Brady
14. McDermott
15. Johnston/Dunne

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Richiej on February 06, 2012, 02:07:19 PM
If everybody in the County was available well id go for something like this.... mixture of youth and experience,

1. O Mara

2.D Sheridan
3. McCutcheon
4.Watters

5.Clarke/G McKiernan
6.G McKiernan/Gaynor
7.Maloney-Derham

8.Sean Reilly
9.D Givney

10. N Smith
11. Keating
12.Lyng/P Leddy

13. J Brady
14. McDermott
15. Johnston/Dunne

Gearoid McKiernan at wing or centre back?
Are you off your rocker???  ::)
Why exactly would anyone in their right mind put one  of Cavan's best midfield prospects in the last 25 years at a position which has been Cavan's weakest area over the last 6/7 years.
Sean Reily???  :o
How exactly would he have the discipline for IC football?
How many times has he got sent off and suspended for the Gaels over the last few years?

Richiej

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 06, 2012, 03:09:32 PM
Quote from: Richiej on February 06, 2012, 02:07:19 PM

1. O Mara

2.D Sheridan
3. McCutcheon
4.Watters

5.Clarke/G McKiernan
6.G McKiernan/Gaynor
7.Maloney-Derham

8.Sean Reilly
9.D Givney

10. N Smith
11. Keating
12.Lyng/P Leddy

13. J Brady
14. McDermott
15. Johnston/Dunne

Gearoid McKiernan at wing or centre back?
Are you off your rocker???  ::)
Why exactly would anyone in their right mind put one  of Cavan's best midfield prospects in the last 25 years at a position which has been Cavan's weakest area over the last 6/7 years.
Sean Reily???  :o
How exactly would he have the discipline for IC football?
How many times has he got sent off and suspended for the Gaels over the last few years?

Ive seen Jim Reilly, Sean Leddy, Donal Meade, Ollie Brady, Joe Dillon to name but a few all play in the half backline and midfield with good success.

Good versatile players like McKiernan can play centre back, midfield and centre forward.

rodney trotter

If you were going to play Gearoid McKiernan anywhere other than in midfield it would be wing forward as he can would score freely as he already does in the middle, wtf would you be playing him centre/half back for in fairness?

Celt_Man

Quote from: Richiej on February 06, 2012, 01:20:14 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 06, 2012, 01:14:12 PM
Funny enough 12 months ago a few on here were suggesting McCutcheon for FB but I don't think it was ever tried. I assume management just don't fancy him there?

Is he related to Christy McCuthcheon? Because i remember Christy as a No nonsense  good Co Minor full back in the 70s
If he had two tough tackling corner backs with him he could make that position his own.
Full back has been costing us for a few years now

John is Christy's son alright....   He either plays midfield or centre half for us - its my own view that Cavan need a full back who plays there week in and week out...  Although not too many names spring to mind
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Richiej

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 06, 2012, 03:50:22 PM
Quote from: Richiej on February 06, 2012, 01:20:14 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 06, 2012, 01:14:12 PM
Funny enough 12 months ago a few on here were suggesting McCutcheon for FB but I don't think it was ever tried. I assume management just don't fancy him there?

Is he related to Christy McCuthcheon? Because i remember Christy as a No nonsense  good Co Minor full back in the 70s
If he had two tough tackling corner backs with him he could make that position his own.
Full back has been costing us for a few years now

John is Christy's son alright....   He either plays midfield or centre half for us - its my own view that Cavan need a full back who plays there week in and week out...  Although not too many names spring to mind

I think he would be worth a try at full back. Cootehill probably want him operating further out. Thats understandable, Christy himself was a good decent full back, John would be well coached!!

Until we shore up the backline all the good work up front wont be rewarded with results.

anglocelt39

Me attending Cavan games is a rare enough occurrence any more so I paid good attention and compiled a few stats yesterday which tell their own tale:

Scores taken                       14
Wides kicked (including one free)  8 ok might have been 9 I bailed out in the second minute of injury time
And finally that most heartbreaking/annoying and rage inducing Cavan forward trait of the last 10 years, yes folks the insipid "attacking" shot dropped short into the keepers hands and setting up the opposition            NIL (I joke you not).

There we have it, 14 chances converted out of 22, it's probably as good a conversion rate as a Cavan team has returned in a while. So the problem yesterday was not in attack by any stretch. In terms of possession won by the two teams the Cavan attack was by far the more economical and the Wexford crowd around me subscribed to that.

Defence was a disaster yet it's difficult to pick out one or two lads who had a total stinker. The problem started out the middle where we were totally dominated for 25 minutes of the game in two phases and let Wexford run at us at will. we had Gearoid and David well spread at kickout time which is a great idea if you are winning your own kickout but not so clever in terms of slowing the oppositions progress down when that's not working out.

Two of the goals we conceded were when Wexford got ball out the middle, ran at us at pace and left the full back line totally exposed, leading to a well converted penalty in one case. Another came from a very quick delivery into the full forward line and a great finish. Other was a poor keeping error compounded by a lack of attention by our full backs in the square. If you were to pick individuals that struggled in the backline yesterday you would probably say Barry Waters and Ronan, who got caught for pace a bit for the decisive goal. Am sure that will improve as the fitness level recovers. I wouldn't be overly critical of Sean McCormack, it's not as if fullback has been nailed down at this level for a long time and he needs a bit of help and support in settling into the position. Casting lads off after one or two games would probably wreck the lads confidence. Having said that there have to be a few other names to consider-Hayes?, Minagh?, Dunne from Redhills not sure if he or the others are available. Other option might be Podge with McCutcheon, Mckeever, Flanagan, O Dowd in half line.

Think that's me done. Hope we can pick up a few results, it's not all doom and gloom. Might send a postcard from Thurles from the Tipp game.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

Great post AC

Celt Man,is Joshua Hayes even in the panel?
I heard from a first hand source,that he is/was playing great stuff with UCD(not sure if they are still in the Sigerson)
Rory Dunne i believe came back too soon, after his operation on the cruciate,which is why he is still sidelined.
Sean has a big advantage has over Dunne in relation to playing full backin that he has blistering pace

You would think with such an inexperienced backline,that a defensive system something similar to Donegals of last year would be something that the management would have looked to implement.
I guess not  ::)

mylestheslasher

At the end of the day we are going to have to be patient with this team and hope to see improvements. I am very unsure if Andrews is up to the job but he has to be given a chance as do the players, especially if they are working hard in training and busting a gut on the pitch. All they can do is their best. I think we will know more on Saturday. A lose and its a relegation dog fight and a win means we can look at challenging for promotion. Fair play Anglo, good analysis of the match. You can be our foreign correspondent for all games in the deep south!

Breffni_Yank

Any word on team for Saturday? Will there be any changes?

Westside

No team announced yet. Tonight probably.

Rumblings that Sheridan and Lyng are back with the panel...