Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

Not a whole pile of options at midfield either Yank if one of the two lads get hurt or burned out. Think you would be looking at Ray Cullivan or, based on the way we played today, Keating. Very impressed with him, nice to see a bit of mongrel in a few of our players
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: anglocelt39 on February 05, 2012, 09:10:47 PM
Not a whole pile of options at midfield either Yank if one of the two lads get hurt or burned out. Think you would be looking at Ray Cullivan or, based on the way we played today, Keating. Very impressed with him, nice to see a bit of mongrel in a few of our players

Clearly not enough of it if we shipped four goals!

TheThirdManning

I see 7 of the Galways lads from last year made the step up today to the senior side today.

How many of the Cavan boys did? Was suprised to hear that nobody from Cork or Wexford, the other two semi-finalists, made the step up .

Richiej

We need to get some experience back in the panel asap.
Smith, Mackey, Clarke, Lyng, Sheridan, and even the so called "disruptive problem boy" Seanie.

Other so called "disruptive problem boys" Nicky Joyce and Owen Mulligan had stormers this weekend.
Would that be because  their respective managers Harte and Mullholand can "man manage" so called disruptive players with attitude?

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: Richiej on February 06, 2012, 11:26:41 AM
Smith, Mackey, Clarke, Lyng, Sheridan, and even the so called "disruptive problem boy" Seanie.

Other so called "disruptive problem boys" Nicky Joyce and Owen Mulligan had stormers this weekend.
Would that be because  their respective managers Harte and Mullholand can "man manage" so called disruptive players with attitude?

Richie we managed to score 1-13 yesterday with this 'inexperienced side'. Our problems are at the other end and I fail to see how any of the players you mentioned are going to help us there. All have been trialled and failed before.

Richiej

Quote from: Breffni_Yank on February 06, 2012, 11:40:38 AM

Richie we managed to score 1-13 yesterday with this 'inexperienced side'. Our problems are at the other end and I fail to see how any of the players you mentioned are going to help us there. All have been trialled and failed before.

Breffni Yank You fail to mention the Wides and the missed Peno,Clarke and Sheridan would definetely make a difference in that backline, also to have a proper panel nowadays you need 2 players for most positions,
Nothing will justify Val leaving the players he has left off the panel.

Experience wins games when the chips are down and when we got it down to 1pt in the 2nd half thats when it would have been great to have an experienced few players to call on.
Management need to look at the bigger picture .......just ask Mickey Harte or Alan Mullholland.

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: Richiej on February 06, 2012, 11:55:32 AM
Quote from: Breffni_Yank on February 06, 2012, 11:40:38 AM

Breffni Yank You fail to mention the Wides and the missed Peno,Clarke and Sheridan would definetely make a difference in that backline, also to have a proper panel nowadays you need 2 players for most positions,
Nothing will justify Val leaving the players he has left off the panel.

Experience wins games when the chips are down and when we got it down to 1pt in the 2nd half thats when it would have been great to have an experienced few players to call on.
Management need to look at the bigger picture .......just ask Mickey Harte or Alan Mullholland.

Experience? No harm to the lads you have mentioned but they have played for Cavan during one of our worst spells ever at Senior football. They couldn't use their 'experience' over  the last few years to close out results so why all of a sudden because they were dropped are you making them out to be world-beaters?

I agree I would like to see one or two of them playing but don't cod yourself that these are knights in shining armour waiting in the wings to come back and rescue us. They are not.

Westside

We lose a game because of our problems at the back and the lads bull on with the Johnston argument regardless.. It's fairly comical.

mylestheslasher

Dermot Shieridan was looked at for FB before but didn't do too well but maybe he would be worth another shot.

RichieJ - come on, you are having a go at a player for missing a peno. Even Johnston missed one last yr against Donegal. Anyone can miss a peno.

Westside

Remember last years league game against Limerick? When we got back to within a point, had all that wonderful experience on the field that Richie is calling for and.... lost in similar fashion to yesterday.

The management need to stick with these lads and concentrate on defensive coaching, teams will aim to run through Cavan now. They need to make a statement against Longford and close shop.

Richiej

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 06, 2012, 12:19:38 PM
Dermot Shieridan was looked at for FB before but didn't do too well but maybe he would be worth another shot.

RichieJ - come on, you are having a go at a player for missing a peno. Even Johnston missed one last yr against Donegal. Anyone can miss a peno.

Myles .. im not having a go at any player . They inexperienced in National League terms.

My original point is that if Harte and Mullholland can handle "so called problem players " in Joyce and Mulligan maybe Andrews should have done more to handle Johnston.

Also experience is needed around the panel this time of year whether used for 70 minutes or not.
Heads drop when things go wrong and no manager in his right mind cuts experience from the panel in Feburary. Even Jimmy Barry Murphy brought OHalpin back , ok he hasnt used him yet but he in around the panel. We cant afford to cut our nose off to spite our face!

Richiej

How about dropping G McKiernan back to centre half back and maybe trying McCutcheon in full back?

Cullivan and Givney in midfield and Keating on the "forty" with McDermott on the edge of the square?

Now is the time to try a few combinations.

Breffni_Yank

Barring men that haven't played for Cavan in a few years like some of the Gaels lads, what would people choose as their Cavan team if all was well in the world?

mylestheslasher

Funny enough 12 months ago a few on here were suggesting McCutcheon for FB but I don't think it was ever tried. I assume management just don't fancy him there?

Richiej

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 06, 2012, 01:14:12 PM
Funny enough 12 months ago a few on here were suggesting McCutcheon for FB but I don't think it was ever tried. I assume management just don't fancy him there?

Is he related to Christy McCuthcheon? Because i remember Christy as a No nonsense  good Co Minor full back in the 70s
If he had two tough tackling corner backs with him he could make that position his own.
Full back has been costing us for a few years now