Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s__words

Quote from: boojangles on January 25, 2012, 03:20:18 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on January 25, 2012, 09:34:36 AM
Quote from: boojangles on January 24, 2012, 11:56:20 PM
Sean Johnston hasn't committed a crime and his own personal decisions will not impact one iota on my life or any other poster or Cavan supporter for that matter and we should all bear that in mind. It's an amateur sport and the man is free to do whatever he wants and he should be free to do it without the begrudgery and spitefullness of so-called Cavan supporters.

Neither has Val Andrews or his management team committed a crime,and likewise they should be allowed to get on with their job without the begrudgery and spitefulness of the so called Cavan supporters.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: boojangles on January 25, 2012, 03:20:18 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on January 25, 2012, 09:34:36 AM
Quote from: boojangles on January 24, 2012, 11:56:20 PM
Alot of posters jumping to conclusions and judging a lad without knowing any facts. Football would have been the last thing on Seans mind the last few days. Whatever he decides to do it's his own choice and it's none of mine or the rests business and I think everybody should bear that in mind before posting any more opinions/ abuse or loose facts.

Most of the facts are known in relation to who he wants to play for and where he says he lives.

Yes Tommy but alot of posters have jumped to the conclusion that Sean wasn't man enough to go to his own club secretary to request a transfer. Nobody knows that he hasn't nor does anybody know that he has definitely requested a transfer yet. The lad only buried his grandfather on Monday.
Sean Johnston hasn't committed a crime and his own personal decisions will not impact one iota on my life or any other poster or Cavan supporter for that matter and we should all bear that in mind. It's an amateur sport and the man is free to do whatever he wants and he should be free to do it without the begrudgery and spitefullness of so-called Cavan supporters.

Boojangles - I normally agree with a lot of what you post but I'm sorry to say not on this occasion. The following is in the public domain...

Seanie Johnston had applied for a transfer to a club in Kildare...

http://www.herald.ie/sport/gaa/johnston-poised-for-move-to-kildare-2997547.html
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/kildare-club-hail-johnston-but-gaels-await-transfer-request-181403.html

Cavan Gaels do not know anything about the transfer so it is reasonable to assume their secretary was not informed...

http://hoganstand.com/cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=160882

Unless his new club, Kieran McGeeney and Cavan Gaels are all telling lies then that is the case is it not?

Seanie Johnston is an amateur player - true
He can do what he wants - true, within the laws of the association of course
Won't impact our lives - true

However, as a paying Cavan supporter I am also free to call a spade a spade. If you think that makes me bitter, begrudging or a "so called supporter" fair enough. My loyalty is to Cavan and no one player is more important than that.

mylestheslasher

Interesting post on Hoganstand, I hope the poster won't mind if I put it here too. I didn't see the show in question but this seems the most plausible account of how this all began and imo does not reflect well on Johnston.

Whilst occasionally interjecting with an observation or inquiry as to the debate being carried out on this medium i have noted with interest the assertions and pointed opinions of 2 contributors in particular. I wonder if either happened to hear the sports show with Con Murphy last nighton rte radio 1 at 7pm. I missed the name of the reporter as i only tuned in after receiving a message to say it was covering the Cavan to Kildare tranfer story.

This gentleman confirmed that both Cavan county board and the Cavan Gaels club during the afternoon had received a transfer request already signed by the player, Kildare county secretary and St. Kevins club secretary. The processisthat 10days fromreceipt of the transfer if neither party have an objection the request will automaticallygo through.

What i found of interest is that the reporter went on to make a number of very salient points which i hadn't heard or read before.

1. Cavan county board had written to every panelist from the 2011 campaign in August-September thanking them for their efforts and advising them that the panel had been disbanded. This gave the manager a clean sheet to work with for the coming season.

2. The manager whilst putting together his preliminary panel obviously phoned players he wanted to invite inbut despite the panel already been disbanded out of courtesy, he also rang individuals not being looked for at that juncture. The reporter went on to say these players included former captain Martin Cahill, Micheal Lyng, Dermot Sheridan, Cian Mackey, Gareth Smith and Sean Johnston.

3. It was said that Cavan operated an open door policy and that this group are training with their clubs and depending on their progress may or may not feature with Cavan later in the season.

4. The reporter stated clearly that no player was told he would never play for the manager or Cavan again.

Now i respect everyone's rights to decide to follow what ever routeisopen tothem, but my read on this situation is that Sean Johnston, who lets not forget was stripped of the captaincy of Cavan Gaelsand dropped for the early rounds of the championship last summer decided that: a. Val Andrews wouldn't drop him. b. He would never play for Andrews again.

I have huge admiration for Sean Johnston's talents, I've always had reservations about his attitude but for someone or something special you make allowances. I admire that the manager hasn't repeated what happened in Waterford when Eoin Kelly was dropped. The manager did what the posters called for and explained fully why Kelly was dropped and it was then replayed and examined by every hack in the country. Players are amateurs and don't deserve short comingsifany to be published for amusement or to satisfy a lust for scandal.

I wish Sean every good luckand hope hedoesn't regret a decision that i have no doubt was helped by Kieran McGeeny who obviously has a different agenda.

My hope here is that everyone else just gets on with the task in hand, which is the betterment of Cavan football. Support our current players and by all means analyse but don't grind axes for sport.

rodney trotter

I don't Johnston would be going back to the gaels at any stage this year, was the transfer request that he Play league football and championship football with St Kevins. If he is going to be playing with Kildare for more than one year he isn't going to Just leave St Kevins in July or August and then expect to go back playing for them the following year.

Gallagher played 5 or 5 games in the league with crosserlough btw before he headed back to brigids.

rodney trotter

meant to post that in the seanie johnston page. :-[

Westside

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_sportat7.xml

Here it is if anyone wants to listen. Click on the Wed 25th link.d

tommysmith

Quote from: Westside on January 26, 2012, 03:21:54 PM
http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_sportat7.xml

Here it is if anyone wants to listen. Click on the Wed 25th link.d

It would do Richie no harm to listen to that.

tommysmith

What part of what he says do you reckon is not true?

mylestheslasher

What were the other 6 players told then?

tommysmith

Quote from: Richiej on January 26, 2012, 11:19:53 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 26, 2012, 11:10:47 PM
What were the other 6 players told then?

Believe it or not, There that much stories floating around on both sides its hard to know what to believe.
Once the transfer goes through everybody should move on. Because there no winners here.

You dont seem to have much bother knowing what to believe.

mylestheslasher

Hoganstand report that Cavan Co Board have the transfer request, as previously said by Owen McConnon. Now will they object? It seems they could object on the grounds that he is not a resident of Kildare no matter what his makey-uppey address says. I think this all goes against the ethos of the GAA and they should object on this issue.

PhilsJemmysField

I think in fairness to Boo I think he is just pointing out there is more important things in life than football. Which Seanie boy has learned this week as well God Love him. If he wants to go let him go. Personally do not think he has treated his club, county, teammates or county manager which an appropriate level of respect but if he wants to leave. Then Let Him Off.

Breffni_Yank

Trying to move on from the whole Johnson debacle I think Paddy Power has a fair idea of where we are at.
Ulster Champ odds:

Tyrone    11/4
Down   7/2
Donegal   7/2
Derry          11/2
Monaghan   11/2
Armagh   15/2
Fermanagh   25/1
Antrim   25/1
Cavan   50/1

Division Three Odds

Wexford   5/2

Sligo   9/2

Longford   5/1

Tipperary   6/1

Offaly   7/1

Antrim   8/1

Roscommon   9/1

Cavan   9/1

PhilsJemmysField

Competitions regulations.

Here is the structure of League and championship next year 2013 Basically lots to fight for in Division 1 after that gets very complicated

Do not really fully understand this but probably the missing piece is that in 2013 there will be 6 SUPER amalgamations in the Senior Championship.

(1)   Amended Proposal for 2013 Division 1, 2 and 3 Leagues & Championships
2013 Division 1 League & Senior Championship.
2013 Division 1 League & Senior Championship will comprise ten teams, as follows:
a.      the Winners of the 2012 Senior Championship
b.      the Winners of the 2012 Intermediate Championship
c.       The top seven teams in the 2012 Division 1 League, not including (b) or (c).
d.      The winner of a playoff between
       the next highest finishing team in the 2012 Division 1 League; and
       the top team in the 2012 Division 2 League

If the top team in the 2012 Division 2 League has already qualified for the 2013 Division 1 League & Senior Championship by winning the 2012 Senior or Intermediate Championship, no playoff game will take place and the next highest finishing team in the 2012 Division 1 League will automatically qualify for Division 1 in 2013.

2013 Division 2 League & Intermediate Championship
2013 Division 2 League & Intermediate Championship will comprise twenty teams.
Nineteen of these teams will be as follows:
e.      the Winners of the 2012 Junior Championship
f.        the remaining teams in the 2012 Division 1 League who have not qualified for the 2013 Division 1 League & Senior Championship
g.      the top teams in the 2012 Division 2 League, not including  teams in categories (a) to (f) inclusive.

h.      The remaining team will be the winner of a playoff between
        the next highest finishing team in the 2012 Division 2 League ;and
       the top team in the 2012 Division 3 League
If the top team in the 2012 Division 3 League has already qualified for the 2013 Division 1/Division 2 League & Senior/Intermediate Championship by winning the 2012 Intermediate or Junior Championship, no playoff game will take place and the next highest finishing team in the 2012 Division 2 League will automatically qualify for Division 2 in 2013.

tommysmith

It's a very tough division alot of good teams in it.