Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

It's strange that the Gaels are turning down the transfer. Obviously he is their best player but whats the point turning it down when he now clearly  to go and they would just have an unhappy player at the Club. He didn't want to leave them at first but then had too when just living in Kildare wasn't enough. I'd say it will go through eventually.

cavanlad

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 24, 2012, 04:48:09 PM
It's strange that the Gaels are turning down the transfer. Obviously he is their best player but whats the point turning it down when he now clearly  to go and they would just have an unhappy player at the Club. He didn't want to leave them at first but then had too when just living in Kildare wasn't enough. I'd say it will go through eventually.

Did they turn down the transfer, i didn't hear that, the chairman said he don't want him to leave, but will not stop him. It's 100% Johnston to pick from.

Also, does anyone know much about the club he is linked by the media to be joining; is it a senior club, winning county titles, like Cavan Gaels or just a run of the mill club.

Cavan Gaels have put this up on their tweet page

QuoteWe can officially confirm that we have not received any transfer requests from any player within club,or have we signed any transfer forms
Source: https://twitter.com/cavangaelsGFC

and who re tweeted it Kildare GAA; https://twitter.com/#!/KildareGAA.

I don't know who to listen, the media are making a mess out of it

QuoteSEáNie Johnston has submitted a transfer request to join Kildare club St Kevin's while Cavan Gaels have confirmed that they will not stand in the path of their 'want-away' forward, leaving him free to join Kieran McGeeney's Lillywhite ranks once the move is processed.

After a prolonged 'will he/won't he' saga, Johnston has finally decided to leave his hometown club in a bid to play inter-county football with Kildare.

McGeeney confirmed that the 27-year-old has applied to join St Kevin's, a senior outfit in the north of the county who won the Intermediate championship in 2008 and the club of one of McGeeney's selectors, Niall Carew.

The application was lodged last night and will be dealt with by Croke Park within the next 10 days after which time, if no objection has been lodged by Cavan Gaels or the Cavan county board, the transfer will be granted automatically.

Cavan Gaels have released a statement confirming that they are reluctantly accepting the request from Johnston, but voicing their disappointment that a resolution between the player and Cavan manager Val Andrews could not be reached.

Johnston was informed recently by Andrews that he was not required for the coming season. The forward then lost his case for a transfer with the GAA's Central Appeals Committee when he attempted to transfer on the grounds of residency.

URGE

He then met with officials from Cavan Gaels to urge them to support him with a case to the Disputes Resolution Authority, a request which they subsequently turned down.

"If there is no DRA move, I have a decision to make then," said Johnston last week, "one which I would make carefully after sitting down with people close to me.

"Some people will be annoyed with me in Cavan over my wish to move, but these are the circumstances I find myself in. I'm no longer a Cavan player."

Johnston teaches in Cavan but used an address in Straffan to correspond with Croke Park. A player is only eligible to transfer to a club in another county if he is a resident or working in that county and while he continues to teach in Cavan, he may also be forced to prove his residency in Kildare if requested by Croke Park.

McGeeney insisted last week that he would welcome Johnston "with open arms" but stressed that he would be forced to earn his place.

"If he wants to play for Kildare, the same as anybody else wants to play for Kildare, I've an open door policy," he said.

"He has indicated that he wants to and we'll take him in with open arms but he's going to have his work cut out.

"If Seánie steps in here he's going to have to put up like everybody else."

- Conor McKeon

http://www.herald.ie/sport/gaa/gaels-clear-way-for-johnston-transfer-2997572.html

BUT CAVAN GAELS HAVE SAID THAT THEY DIDN'T SIGN THE PAPERWORK, WHICH IS NEEDED, THE SECRETARY OF THE CLUB HAVE TO SIGN ?????????????????
My ignore list - Richiej

Breffni_Yank

The more this goes on the more I think Johnston has a friend in the media who is just stirring the shite ;D

Bizarre!

The club he is supposed to be going are just a run of the mill club. They play Senior but never challenge for honours.

Dougal

Quote from: cavanlad on January 24, 2012, 05:22:41 PM

BUT CAVAN GAELS HAVE SAID THAT THEY DIDN'T SIGN THE PAPERWORK, WHICH IS NEEDED, THE SECRETARY OF THE CLUB HAVE TO SIGN ?????????????????

as far as im aware,they have no paperwork to sign to grant the transfare, they can only object to it.i presume croke park will make them aware of the request in the next day or 2.also,i believe st kevins and the kildare county board have to grant the transfare.so,despite what sound like conflicting reports,johnston could have requested a transfare and not made the gaels club aware of it
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

PhilsJemmysField

Richard J please go away back to the Hogan Stand

cavanlad

Quote from: Dougal on January 24, 2012, 05:34:11 PM
Quote from: cavanlad on January 24, 2012, 05:22:41 PM

as far as im aware,they have no paperwork to sign to grant the transfare, they can only object to it.i presume croke park will make them aware of the request in the next day or 2.also,i believe st kevins and the kildare county board have to grant the transfare.so,despite what sound like conflicting reports,johnston could have requested a transfare and not made the gaels club aware of it

the Cavan Gaels Secretary has to sign it. My brother transfed and that what he had to do.
My ignore list - Richiej

PhilsJemmysField

Inter county Transfers a club secretary does not "have" to sign them, it can go to Croke Park and they notify Club and County. Then Club and county can decide to object or sign. If the club secretary does sign it then it goes a lot easier. Of course in this case it tells us a lot about this angry little child that he does not have the manners to call round to his secretary and ask him to sign the form.  It goes from the club in Kildare. Away with him is all I can say. At  the moment we have a county team  not a great one but at least it is a team. It will take 20 ~ 25 supremely committed lads to break the cycle so hopefully we have that.

Now Richard J when you send a message again to me you may as well leave out all those Stars. You are / could even be described as a very angry little child. Now away off with you in the name of God and bring your pram and your toys with you.

Swadman

Transcript from the Official Guide 2003
TRANSFERS
Rule 37 Inter County
A player who wishes to play for a club in another county must apply for a transfer to the Provincial or Central Council as appropriate. Such application shall not be granted unless the player is in permanent residence in the new county...
Rule 38
A transfer becomes effective as soon as it is granted by the appropriate authority.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Swadman on January 24, 2012, 08:32:00 PM
TRANSFERS
Rule 37 Inter County
A player who wishes to play for a club in another county must apply for a transfer to the Provincial or Central Council as appropriate. Such application shall not be granted unless the player is in permanent residence in the new county...
Rule 38
A transfer becomes effective as soon as it is granted by the appropriate authority.

Thanks for posting that. I was thinking you didn't have to inform your old club. Bad form for Johnson not to tell them, you'd think he owed his own club that much respect. Maybe he is mad they didn't foot the bill for his appeal?

Swadman

Rule 33
A player may not play in a championship in two different counties in the same championship year, except as provided for at Rules 32(d) and 41

32(d) refers to University or third level students and 41 refers to the USA.

Any other questions must be submitted in writing, on the back of a €20, and sent to me at.......

anglocelt39

Dont worry he will make the kildare team no problem whatsoever. We in Cavan must be blessed with forwards. We won an U21 title last year got hammered by a Galway under 21 team that are now ready to bring 37yr old Pauric Joyce back

the above is an extract from a post on Hoganstand today from a particular fruitcake called Sheva7 or some such. That's the trouble with posting under 2 names Richie baby eventually you catch yourself out. In fairness it was hard to imagine somebody else having views as "out there" as yourself.

As regards Seanie, thanks for many good memories but I'm afraid it's time to go now. I've argued on his behalf with other posters on this thread in the past on the basis that I thought people were jumping to conclusions about him to a degree. His newspaper interview last week changed all that in my view and he simply can't be back around a Cavan panel if he's so desperate to jump ship. Geezer must be some quare wan to flash the knickers. I wouldn't begrudge him any success in a different county, my only problem would be the deafening crowing of certain dudes who would see it as a kick in the nuts for Val Andrews.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

tommysmith

Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 24, 2012, 09:12:21 PM

the above is an extract from a post on Hoganstand today from a particular fruitcake called Sheva7 or some such. That's the trouble with posting under 2 names Richie baby eventually you catch yourself out. In fairness it was hard to imagine somebody else having views as "out there" as yourself.

Im afraid the poor fellow may need some help at this stage.

Ollie

I think Val Andrews may have caused himself a lot of problems regarding the exclusion of Johnston and the other prominent members of the Senior panel. In my opinion I don't think these players would have been dropped had we not had won the U21 and Minor Ulster titles last year. Winning those titles was a great achievement for the the county and the players involved. It's brought renewed hope for our county Senior team for the future. But I don't think this necessarily means that we will have success at senior level with the same players. Just because you were part of a good underage team doesn't mean that you will be equally successful at Senior level.

Take the Cavan under 21 team of 2005. They game agonisingly close to winning an Ulster championship. It was the indiscipline of one player that caused them to loose that final. But only a handful of those footballers made an impact at senior level. It shows that success at one level doesn't exactly lead to success at a higher level. I'm sure we can all think of players who showed great potential at minor level but didn't live up to it at senior level.

I think the exclusion of Johnston along with Lyng, Sheridan, Miller, Nesty etc sends out the wrong message to the newly promoted members of the panel. Andrews is basicly saying to the younger lads that the experienced so called "stars" of the panel are gone, now its up to you guys to bring the team forward. No pressure lads! In many ways Andrews is taking a huge gamble by depending on rookies of senior inter-county football to preform when it matters.

Another factor that needs to be considered is Emigration. How many of these young footballers are going to be in country come this time next year. I know of two footballers from my own club who are currently on the senior panel and who are fresh out of college and can't find jobs in their field of study. This is a problem that all GAA teams need to consider. I think Andrews acted far too swiftly by removing the older and more settled players from the panel without thinking of the consequences further down the line. Only time will tell.

Westside

Ollie in relation to dropping the more experienced settled panel members.. What have we got to lose? We are dropping a group of lads who have tasted no senior success with Cavan, have barely clung on to Division 3 football for a number of years and been the whipping boys of Ulster. The sad fact of it is that the only way our relatively new team can make us sink any lower is to drop to Div 4 (and we have looked like a Div 4 side in the past few years). Lyng, Sheridan, Nesty, Mackey haven't performed when it mattered for Cavan. Andrews is risking nothing if you ask me. We are bottom of the barrel as it is.

tommysmith

Quote from: Westside on January 24, 2012, 10:05:13 PM
Ollie in relation to dropping the more experienced settled panel members.. What have we got to lose? We are dropping a group of lads who have tasted no senior success with Cavan, have barely clung on to Division 3 football for a number of years and been the whipping boys of Ulster. The sad fact of it is that the only way our relatively new team can make us sink any lower is to drop to Div 4 (and we have looked like a Div 4 side in the past few years). Lyng, Sheridan, Nesty, Mackey haven't performed when it mattered for Cavan. Andrews is risking nothing if you ask me. We are bottom of the barrel as it is.

Dropping to divison 4 did Roscommon no harm.