Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Exactly Myles alot of counties closer to Cavan than Kildare.

It could end up like the Gallacher stint in Cavan and he could be back with the Gaels by July depending on how Kildare get on in Championship.

tommysmith

Quote from: Richiej on January 24, 2012, 01:55:46 AM
Andrews told Johnston he would never play for Cavan under him again. FACT.

Did he tell him this in the 10 second phone call ?

Denn Forever

Can we put this to bed and move on and get ready for the leagues?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Richiej on January 24, 2012, 09:49:33 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 24, 2012, 08:45:25 AM
Richie - He has made a 2ND decision now. He has decided him playing for a random county like Kildare is more important than him playing for his own club, the club that he was born into.

Answer me this - why did he not transfer to a club in Longford, Leitrim or Fermanagh. He could have lived there and played with that county and had a comfortable comute to work every day. Why do you think that is Richie? Teemore for example is only 20 minutes from Cavan.

That tells me all I need to know about Seanie Johnston. No place for people with such self importance and arrogance in the Cavan panel. Andrews has made the right decision and I'm certain of that now. Cavan supporters and Cavan Gaels supporters should now move on and support their club and county

Myles .. As you know for some strange reason the CB want Andrews there for the long haul. Maybe thats why he feels he can more the goalposts and tear the script up each year until he gets it right.

Seanie was cast into the Inter County wilderness under Andrews with no way back. What really was he suppose to do. ?
Why should an unproven upstart like Andrews tell any half decent player with ambition and skill that their Inter County career was finished?

Johnston like others saw through Andrews last year. He probably cant understand why a CB could back a manager so much with so little foundation. No loyalty from no one.

The main reason why he didnt transfer to teams like you say is he has been playing with a team like that for 9 years often carrying the forward line on his own. Now he can play with and against the best.
Could his recent lack of form have been down to lack of supply?? I haven't seen him kick untold wides  or squander chance after chance. Have you?

We both know he was head hunted buy McGeeney when news of this fallout became known.
Surely McGeeney has done his research on Johnstons temperament and both on and off the field as well as researching any negative influences that Johnston supposedly had on other players.

I really do hope he kicks them from angles for Kildare , but more importantly when the season is over, win or lose that Mc Geeney will make an honest comment on Seanies attitude and how he applied himself.

We are teambuilding here (again) Andrews in my opinion has got it very wrong as we everyone and more on board.
He is the manager ,he is suppose to man manage all types for the betterment of Cavan football.
He was moaning last year that certain players from the Gaels would not commit.
This i hope wont open up a rift between the Gaels and Andrews, but judging by their chairmans views he is having a pop at Andrews and rightly so.

Andrews is going to be judged this year on his results. No hiding place, No joint manager to blame, no Seanie Johnston to blame either

Richie - for every great game you talk of him playing I've seen just as many crap, effortless performances. You speak of his sub appearance against Wicklow in Breffni which was a great performance by him for sure. The year before in Aughrim he made zero effort the whole game, I know as I was at both. I have said it here on a number of occassions. He has all the ability in the world but it takes more than that to make a great player. It takes attitude, heart, teamwork, guts and fight to be the best. Thats where Johnston falls down and I don't think he will be missed as much as people think. We have good young players and I'm confident they will do the business in time and Seanie will be looking in from the outside and I think he will regret what he has done.

mylestheslasher

Fair enough Richie, lets leave it there and move on. No hard feelings anyway.

TheThirdManning

Well lads, just checking in.

Richie J. I think you completely misunderstand what the GAA is about. It's not about playing with the team that has the best chance of winning. It's about playing with your club and your county. Where you are from. It's about identity.

In my opinion Johnston has shown his true colours in this move. Willing to move clubs just to be seen as an inter-county player ::)

Its back to the main board for me.

Westside

Kieran McGeeney bringing in a Cavan player in late January after a few years of team building? He's making it up as he goes along....

I've lost all respect for Johnston. He got into a rut in Cavan because he felt he deserved bigger stages, his performances and attitude were poor. Andrews decided not to put up with that and when McGeeney came calling Johnston saw his opportunity to get on the big stage and rub Andrew's face in it all in the one go. Such was his determination he was willing to leave the Club that he has played with since he was a child to go to a club and a county that he has no affiliation with. He chose Kildare because their profile fits his ego, neighbouring counties didn't fit the bill.

Cavan is bigger than Andrews, Johnston should know that. I agree totally with Myles. Andrews' decision to drop him has been completely justified by this. Regardless of what Johnston does at Kildare, his sole motivation was not to do it for Cavan, that is reason enough to show him the door.

Let him try standing over a free for over a minute fixing his socks and jersey until it's taken off him by the ref and see what McGeeney does. I hope our lads go on and prove that there are players in Cavan who do have some pride in wearing and fighting for the jersey.

angellady

can everyone do me a favour and please ignore the comments of richiej!! . typical cavan townie. myles and mr. pain make a lot of sense tho. It's hard to know what to make of all this. Just one big sorry mess if you ask me. No winners in this situation.

Breffni_Yank

In my opinion, Val tested Seanie and Seanie failed miserably.

I don't care if we have another mediocre year now. That dressing room has needed a clear out for years and Val had the balls to start rustling a few feathers and get loads out of their comrfort zone.  We can start building with a genuine team now and hopefully we can keep improving.

I've said it before. I don't care if we are not contesting for All Irelands. All I ever expect to see when I pay into a ground is a Cavan team that tries hard and works hard to be the best they can be.

cavanforever

seanies move really shows how much he cares about his club and county. after he was dropped he should have kept quiet went about his business and maybe try play his way back into contention. anyway it doesnt look likely that he will play for cavan anytime soon. big loss in my opinion

Ollie

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 23, 2012, 11:52:33 PM
Rodney, if I saw seanie Johnston playing for kildare against the dubs then I'd be cheering for the dubs. I'd hate to see any success come from such a traitorous act. I heard mutterings that a resolution might have been on the cards and I was hoping that was the case but if this story is true then I hope it gives our lads a bit more motivation to do well and maybe win an ulster in the next few years. What if the gaels got the ulster club too?

Such begrudgery!! Myles if both Kildare and the Gaels were to win provincial titles this year you'd be one bitter man!

mylestheslasher

I'd be delighted if Cavan gaels won ulster, why wouldn't I be.

whats my name

Fcuk seanie Johnston that's what I say we are better off with 15 average footballers with a bit of heart and drive that play for the jersey then a good footballer who is only half hearted and has a stink attitude aka jelly

cavanmaniac

With thanks for his efforts over the years, but absolutely no respect for how he has reacted to being dropped, I say good luck to Seanie Johnston. He will forever be a sort of pariah in Cavan now that he has abandoned his club too, which shows that he really, really doesn't understand the team bond or pride of place that goes with GAA.

In some ways being in a drifting county like Cavan where he has been the big fish in the small pond, has probably encouraged any egotistical or self promotional tendencies Seanie may have. But if the move to Kildare goes ahead, he will find it harder to wag the dog dealing with McGeeney that's for sure. Then again that could be the making of him, who knows?

It's all a bit of a shame on one level but that said, nothing Johnston has done since the crime of dropping him was committed makes me think he's that big of a loss when you are looking to build from the bottom up and show a bunch of young fellas the right path.

So thanks for the good times, such as they were, and good luck. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.